Will these survive my winters?

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
BarryRice

Will these survive my winters?

Post by BarryRice »

Hey guys

My winters have many frosty nights, but only about 15 that drop below freezing, to as low as 21F. I'm wondering if you think these would survive such conditions, if kept completely dry...

Oreocereus celsianus
Ferocactus pilosus
(=F. stainsesii)
Ferocactus texensis
Echinopsis candicans
Echinopsis spachianus
Echinopsis tarijensis

All these plants are in 1 to 3G pots, snugly, so they're reasonably large. Not giants, but not seedlings, either.
Cheers

Barry
I'll grow it as long as it doesn't have glochids. Gaudy flowers a plus.
mg2007

Re: Will these survive my winters?

Post by mg2007 »

I looked up these species in the Mesa Garden lists, which often gives frost hardiness. If Ferocactus texensis is Echinocactus texensis, then it should be fine; it was given the hardiness category of 16, meaning it is hardy to 20 degrees F. So should the Orecocereus, with the same rating, and also Ferocactus pilosus. I could not find the Echinopsis species under that genus or under Trichocereus.

I will point out that if you have these in pots, they are more susceptible to cold than plants in the ground - the roots are exposed to cold and the plants are elevated that much more above the relatively warmer soil. Those extra few inches can make a difference.
BarryRice

Post by BarryRice »

Hey Mg2007,

Where in Mesa Gardens web site do you see hardiness info?

Cheers

Barry
BarryRice

Post by BarryRice »

Oh, never mind! I see it now.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Atmospheric humidity can also play havoc with "frost hardy" cacti. I have usually found MG's frost hardy data fairly reliable for well established plants, kept dry, in relatively low humidity conditions. The humidity might pose a problem where you are. Some Oreocereus and Echinopsis plants can develop epidermal brown spots, even if they survive. I will be interested to know how your plants fare. Also, Echinocactus texensis can be hardy, but it can also be tender, depending on the original locale. Some populations are very hardy indeed, such as the plants in the Roswell, NM area.

peterb
Zone 9
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Peter, you sure those "Rosewell" populations don't have "special Alien radiation" protecting them? :wink:
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I have all of those except Echinopsis candicans and Echinopsis tarijensis outside and they have been fine. The Echinopsis spachianus I'll put cups over the tips if it get below 25 degrees. Some have been outside over 10 years. :)