Opuntiad ID please

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
BobbyZ

Opuntiad ID please

Post by BobbyZ »

When visiting Florida Insttitue for Technology (Melbourne), I was in awe over this beautiful monster opuntiad. I believe it is a Consolea, however I can use help of experts. It is about 3 meters tall. Individual pads are up to 40 cm long and 1 to 2 cm thick, and are both curly and are spineless The pads have a sivery green luster with golden aeroles For reference the Agave is over a meter high. Bobby Z
Alber khan

Re: Opuntiad ID please

Post by Alber khan »

Looks like consolea rubscens.
When thousands of foes unite, for my ruins plot–
If only You remain by my side, I then fear not!
I live for a hoped union with thee, it is my desired prize–
Or all my moments are spent- in the fright of demise!
~Hafez (1325 – 1389): From Ghazal No. 287
BobbyZ

Post by BobbyZ »

Thanks Alber, I only have seedlings at home around 5 to 7 cm high, now if I have patience I may see it grow to a wonderful specimen.
GoanBahraini

Post by GoanBahraini »

Dear Alber/Bobby
It does not seem fully similar to O. Rubecens as main stem is spiny, I have not seen a specimen here in any nursery with a spiny/hairy main stem. See mine
Smooth Stem Opuntia rubescens
Smooth Stem Opuntia rubescens
WP_20131221_033.jpg (23.45 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
It does seem to be a consolea species in any case, maybe the endangered Florida, consolea corallicola which is one step worse, as the pads seem to be smooth, and this species looks to have spines.
One strange anomaly I have noted in Consolea Rubescens is sometimes a pad may be fully spiny and the other pads continue to be smooth.
Strange conundrum, which I cannot resolve having never seen the second consolea corallicola in Bahrain or India.
Maybe Alber can have another look as I am getting confused.
Derrick
BobbyZ

Post by BobbyZ »

Thanks for interest, I bblew up the picture the main stem is quite spiney. I may never return to the campus but the pictures and a cutting of a small pad are with me. It is rooted and maybe in three years I will see a main stem.
GoanBahraini

Post by GoanBahraini »

Bobby
My pleasure and Happy Christmas, but the hairy stem looks close to Consolea Monoliformis see http://www.flickr.com/photos/tony_rodd/ ... 5190061143" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But again, no guarantee as the pads there too are slightly spiny.
Derrick