Water retention in pumice vs. crushed granite

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
BarryRice

Water retention in pumice vs. crushed granite

Post by BarryRice »

Hey guys

I grow my plants in an inorganic medium of pure aggregate, fertilizing lightly with acidified water with every watering.

I have easy access to pumice, but I also value crushed granite because it is denser, and discourages pots from tipping over due to top heavy plants. Also, after I water my plants (which are in plastic pots), if they are in pure pumice, the pots and the planting medium can flex a lot as I move the plants--I am afraid this might cause some abrasive damage to the roots? In any event, granite doesn’t shift as readily like this.

I was curious about the relative water retention of pumice vs. granite, and also how well the media retain this moisture over time. So, I set up an experiment.

Materials: I dried, in my oven at 175 C (350 F) for 30 minutes, planting media for three pots: pure pumice, pure crushed granite, and my general planting medium which is 4:3 pumice: granite.

After waiting for the media to cool (heh heh), I filled three 12.5 cm (5”) pots (747 ml each) with the media. I then watered all three pots thoroughly, then let them drain--tilting the pots a few times to facilitate the draining. The pots were weighed at each step of this process. My scale is accurate to +- 1 g, and so with masses of 480-1500 g my measurements are reliable. For brevity, I will not post my data, but if anyone wants to see it, I can.

Over the next ten days, I kept the pots with my growing plants in bright shade, at normal early fall growing conditions. Each day I’d weigh the pots so I could track the decreasing water content in the three media. Here are my basic results. I start off with the % volume in the pot of medium, water, and air, immediately after the pots were drained on day 0.

Pumice: 46-22-32%
Granite: 58-14-28%
4:3 mix: 56-17-27%

Nothing too surprising here. Pumice retains significantly more water throughout all stages of the experiment. Does anyone know if there is a lower threshold to % water content in the soil, below which cactus roots are unable to uptake moisture from their surroundings?
Attachments
cactus medium check.jpg
cactus medium check.jpg (38.34 KiB) Viewed 4160 times
I'll grow it as long as it doesn't have glochids. Gaudy flowers a plus.