All Wrapped Up For Winter

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
CactusFanDan

All Wrapped Up For Winter

Post by CactusFanDan »

I've taken minimal precautions going into my first winter with a greenhouse. Just a (almost complete) single layer of bubblewrap to help keep the frost off. Here are some pics.
Back view.
Back view.
WinterCoat'13 (4)2.jpg (68.27 KiB) Viewed 7115 times
Looking in.
Looking in.
WinterCoat'13 (2)2.jpg (80.65 KiB) Viewed 7115 times
I've kept the bubblewrap off of one side partly because I ran out of bubblewrap and duct tape, but also to keep one end colder than the other. The cold end will help to keep my winter growers happy: mainly Conophytums and Massonias. :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
oldcat61

Re: All Wrapped Up For Winter

Post by oldcat61 »

Looks good. Ours is covered with 6(?) mil clear plastic. Started with just a small section where we have a leak but it wouldn't stay sealed. We buy 25ft wide rolls to cover our fish pond, so we just tented the whole thing. My husband wouldn't have the patience to do the nice gift wrap you have. I was afraid the plastic, which is never really clear, would block too much light. A month later & my mamms & several notos are still blooming, so I guess that's not a worry. I was surprised how little the heater is running to keep the temps in the 60s. Let us know how your setup works. Sue
Mark

Post by Mark »

It looks good!

At what temp do you keep your Massonias?

Mark
majcka

Post by majcka »

Just a red ribbon and your GH is complete for a present. Image
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

dhlx

Post by dhlx »

greenhouse is looking good :)

have you thought about a clay plant pot heater for the really cold nights? it uses 8 hour burning tea lights and can create a decent amount of warmth :D i'm building one that i will test soon but it will be for use at the start of spring :D ...they are pretty simple :D

We have down to -14 winters so all my (very small) collection of cacti are staying indoors.....lol
i'm a cacti newbie that grow chillies :D
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Thanks guys!
Mark wrote:It looks good!

At what temp do you keep your Massonias?

Mark
Whatever temperature the GH gets to at night or in the day. :wink: I might bring them inside if it gets really bitter, but we've had a few frosts and they're totally fine with it. :P
dhlx wrote:have you thought about a clay plant pot heater for the really cold nights? it uses 8 hour burning tea lights and can create a decent amount of warmth :D i'm building one that i will test soon but it will be for use at the start of spring :D ...they are pretty simple :D
Sounds interesting, but I don't like the idea of burning stuff, since that will increase humidity and cold, humid conditions encourages rot. I'll still look into it though, thanks! :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

My C&S blog
Eutow_Intermedium

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

Looks exactly the same as my Greenhouse. Only you have bubble wrap all over yours, and is more likely to be a bit more on the snug side.

I only have it inside both sides of the roof and at the back, vertically down the centre.

:lol:

I've heard of the Cake tin, two terracotta pot and tea light heater before. I do actually have a paraffin heater in my greenhouse. Only the oil is still in the Extrnal lockup where my flat is. And probably won't ever get to meet the heater.
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

It was working great and kept it snug inside, until we got all that high wind. Any other year it would've held up fine, since it put up with the first wave of high winds just fine. The more recent wave of high winds just took it right off though. :roll: It's mild so far though, so I'm not too worried. The lowest it's been inside, according to the thermometer is -1.7 degrees C. Nothing looks even slightly bothered by the cold. :P If we get a forecast for any really harsh cold then I'll bring any somewhat tender stuff inside.
-Dan
Happy growing!

My C&S blog
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Just re-use the bubble wrap inside the green house wind isn't a problem then.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Wonderful Husband ( his official name this winter ) got up at 3 am to check the koi pond ( covered in plastic). GH was 62F, with an outside temp of minus 5! I am one happy cactus mom! Put the baseboard on medium for the night, with the oscillating heater also on medium. Really surprised at how well the plastic wrap works. Hope our friend in Vermont is OK, this weather is scary for people & animals as well as our plants. I expect quite a bit of damage to the perennials next spring. Good luck to all - Sue
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I now leave my bubble wrap up all year as it is UV stabilised and the greenhouse is lined internally with it since as Dan has found the wind takes it off if external and in my 12'6" x 18'-0" (3.81m x 5.49m) greenhouse 9'-0" (2.74m) to the ridge it's too much trouble to put up and take down each year. I find the plants grow OK and it avoids sunburn on them. The main problem is UV stabilised bubble wrap is more expensive than the normal packing type but that only lasts a couple of years in the sun without becoming brittle and disintegrating if touched:-

"UV Stabilized Bubble Wrap Insulation.

UV stabilized bubble wrap is the perfect solution for insulating greenhouses used for overwintering bonsai and tender plants. Standard bubble wrap will be broken down to crumbly flakes by sunlight in just a few months. Our UV Stabilized Bubble Wrap will resist decomposition from UV for many years and so is a very good long term investment. Standard bubble wrap would need to be replaced 4-6 times over the life of this high quality film.

Unlike parcel type bubble wrap this material consists of two thick outer leaves with the bubbles sandwiched in between. This increases it's insulation capacity and makes the material easy to clean. Large bubbles provide excellent insulation for the winter quarters of your bonsai. Helps to maintain a constant temperature and when installed carefully will save a massive amount on your energy bills for winter care."

http://www.hartley-botanic.co.uk/greenh ... bubblewrap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Now now, it held up well to the winds. :lol: If we hadn't had gale-force winds then it would still be up, I reckon. :wink:
-Dan
Happy growing!

My C&S blog