Should we keep up the monthly photo Contests?

Registered users may enter and vote on their favorite cactus picture!
majcka

Re: Should we keep up the monthly photo Contests?

Post by majcka »

I love the contest. I only have too little of pics for all of them becouse my Cacti career is stil short. :lol: When I'll be in cacti hoby as long as DaveW, then I'll have aphoto for every topic in that contest, I assure you. 8)
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Jens

Post by Jens »

CactusFanDan wrote:Perhaps less contest which are specifically aimed at cacti could get more people to reply? Some people might not collect cacti after all, and instead collect other succulent plants. Maybe classification-neutral contests would be a good idea like to do with general things like colours and textures or roots or something. :)

Thats a good point Dan.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

"When I'll be in cacti hobby as long as DaveW, then I'll have a photo for every topic in that contest, I assure you."

Don't bet on it Dan. I had to reinstall Windows on my computer a year or two ago. It put all my images into a file called "Old". Photoshop Elements found these and offered to transfer them to it's "Organiser" which I let it do assuming they would be copied to it. I then deleted the "Old" file as thumbnails of them were now in the Organiser. However when I clicked on a thumbnail later I found it could not find the original image since it had only linked to it in the "Old" folder I had now deleted rather than as it said "transferred" them! Never believe any photo software that says it will transfer files for you unless you have them backed up, since many just continue to link to the original files elsewhere on the computer.

I have in fact had to download the old images I took over three years ago off sites I had previously posted them on. Also these are now JPEG's scaled down for Web use rather than my original RAW files which I could further scale or manipulate for future requirements. I suppose the moral is you should always back up image files and I lost most of my old images from not doing so. Therefore I probably have less pictures to post than most of you do, so am hoping to take some new ones this coming season.
majcka

Post by majcka »

Hey Dave. You were quoting me not Dan, but I think we understand a point anways. 8)
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

CactusJordi

Post by CactusJordi »

Joining in the contest was fun. We saw so great photos and wonderful plants.
But honestly, there are so many C&S forums and photo galleries nowadays that one (even retired as I am) can't watch/check all of them. The cactiguide forum is so active and the cactiguide.com and succulent.com are almost overladen with photos and information that I think it's not a great loss to give up the photo contest and save Jens', John's and -recently only very few- member's time.
Yet not forgetting to thank Jens and John for spending their spare time for excellent moderating the contest over the years.

Jordi
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

I really liked the contests. I kept telling myself, "Someday I would win a bunch of labels!". Actually, right now I am still trying to figure out about posting photos in the "new" site format.n Yes I would like to see it continue.

Shmuel
Amazing plants, amazing form, amazing flowers...
Amazing cacti!
SkyClan Cat

Post by SkyClan Cat »

Just now realized I might have a photo I could enter into a contest, and checked to see if there was one going on... no :(
We do what we must
because we can.
For the good of all of us.
Except the ones who are dead.
But there's no sense crying over every mistake.
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
cid4houses

Post by cid4houses »

Is it still going? I did not see any recent posts.
Cid Young
Foggy Gardens
http://siftingsoil.blogspot.com/