Echinicactus texensis, Farthest NE?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
cactoman

Echinicactus texensis, Farthest NE?

Post by cactoman »

Hi, was wondering if anyone :
1. Knows the farthest Northeast E. texensis grows at this time
2. Might have plants/seeds from at or near this point...

Hoping to find more-moisture tolerant accessions than the NM and Big Bend plants that seem most common in trade...Mesa seems to have only SE NM accessions...hoping that plants from Denton/Tarrant/ etc would behave more like easy ol' e. reichenbachii v baileyi in the ground...

Ed J
the CACTOMAN
peterb

Re: Echinicactus texensis, Farthest NE?

Post by peterb »

Good question, re: east. It grows to formidable size around Deming. There was a variety from "Culebra Bluff" going around that is still going strong in a friend's outdoor unprotected garden in Santa Fe, after 18 hard years. Looks like Culebra Bluff is from right around Loving NM. 177.15-texensis LAPPIN 3 Culebra Bluffs, NM, long spined cliff form (Mesa Garden)

peterb
Zone 9
peterb

Post by peterb »

another note: MG also sells one from Kimble County Texas, way over route 10. 177.6-texensis SB385 Kimble Co, Tx, wide flat stem. But that looks really far south.

peterb
Zone 9
cactoman

Post by cactoman »

I have seed of the culebra bluff one from MG...
It seems that the typically offered plants are all from the "hard" deserts of Trans-Pecos Texas and adjoining NM...one would thing that plants from the likes of mineral wells, Ft Worth, etc would be much more moisture tolerant than the others
peterb

Post by peterb »

Maybe! Interesting experiment to try. Not sure of a source for seed or plants.

peterb
Zone 9
John C

Post by John C »

As I was scrolling through I saw this thread, good thing I clicked on it! 8)

I am a resident of Tarrant county and am always on the lookout for cacti native to my county. Unfortunately this county has become pretty well developed and there is hardly any suitable habitat left. What is left is private property, which I obviously can't access to look at plants. I would love to find an E. texensis here in Tarrant county, but I am doubtful of there presence. Development is quickly spreading up into Denton as well. I have been to many of Tarrant county's nature centers, preserves, parks, etc and have not seen any E. texensis. I will continue to look though when I can.

I was lucky enough to gain access to one person's ranch south of Tarrant county (close to Waco, TX). Hidden between acres of plowed fields was one small ranch with an extremely secluded stand of E. texensis unlike any I have seen before. It was amazing. There were none anywhere else on the property with the exception of one small area where all that grew was mesquite. Beneath the mesquite trees were hundreds of HUGE E. texensis. Larger than I have ever seen before. It was an amazing place! At first the owner wanted them removed so they started to dig them up, but once told about them they wanted them to stay and is now preserving them and their habitat. Thankfully! I may have a plant from that property that I won at the auction during the Texas Association of Cactus and Succulent Society's annual show and sale. I was told that the plant was taken out by someone who wanted the plants on their property removed. Supposedly the property had extremely large plants. Now that I have seen this persons property, I am assuming that my plant came from there. While I don't advocate the unnecessary collection of plants, and definitely not the sale of them, the money was donated to keep the state society going and the plant was already dug by someone who didn't want it. I couldn't pass up the opportunity. It is extremely healthy and has grown substantially for me. It does have seeds on it now (which I really need to collect!), but it was pollinated with a friends E. texensis - the origin of which is unknown to me.

Here is a photo of some of them at the persons property:

Here is a photo of my plant last spring. This photo does not do it justice, the thing is huge!:

I have no seeds from native E. texensis, though. I'm sure the ones native to my area are more moisture tolerant, but I'm also sure that not many people collect seeds here. Habitat is much more fragmented by our cities, farms, and plants invading what was previously suitable habitat.
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
cactoman

Post by cactoman »

Seeds from these are what I am really looking for...that moister/more humid but still about Zone 7b-8 area to the East/East Central area...that area near Waco would be a heck of a place to gather a mess of seeds...I think Mr Brack would LOVE to offer these...think he gives merchandise credit for seeds...

Just a thought...
John C

Post by John C »

cactoman wrote:Seeds from these are what I am really looking for...that moister/more humid but still about Zone 7b-8 area to the East/East Central area...that area near Waco would be a heck of a place to gather a mess of seeds...I think Mr Brack would LOVE to offer these...think he gives merchandise credit for seeds...

Just a thought...
Yes it would be quite the area to get some seeds! The owner of the property is very kind, but I do not know them personally. I gained access to the property through a fellow cactus grower who knows them and got us access. I will contact him and see if the owner would be willing to collect some seeds. Regardless i'm sure it wont be until next summer when there are fruits again, though.

I will collect the seeds from my plant tomorrow and see how many are in the dried fruits. If there are more than a few for me, I would be happy to send you some if you are interested. 8)
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
cactoman

Post by cactoman »

Yes, I would be extremely interested...PM me if it works out :-)
Eutow_Intermedium

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

Have you ever heard of Guerrilla Gardening =~_^=

I do it all the time.

Do your research and randomly just go around planting trees and plants in random locations where you think they have a chance of establishing without being tampered with for the foreseeable future.

Everybody should be doing this, all around the world.

Unfortunately over here in Glum and DREARY UK/GB. All I can really plant is trees and maybe flowers and small fruiting plants in warmer months. Thats why I look after a random patch of land on a local park. I started it in 2009 on Transport For London land and they handed it over to Croydon Council to use that section of land for a public park.

But because I was already established in there, within the community, putting the work in and it looks good. Both the local Council and TFL love the little guerrilla patch.

Anybody could do this for the benefit of others, plants or the wildlife associated with them.

In your case you could help to reintroduce E. Texensis into habitat * shifty eyes & taps nose * , as well as other cacti.

=^~^=

I really like E. Texensis. It's just one of them plants that everybody should have an example of in their collection. I wish I had one to go with my E. Grusonii and my Ferocactus Stainesii ? I also found out there is another Echinocactus that looks a bit different and had scented flowers. Cant remember the name or who's thread it was now.

If you live in the USA and you are in classic country where Cacti are native all around. Everybody should reserve some part of their property for a small native cacti bed. Not only does it benefit you and the eyes of others but also the wildlife that it supports.

I don't ever remember seeing an Echinocactus Texensis over here in the UK/GB for sale , so I don't have one in my collection and will have to grow from seed too. But all plants are better off in habitat of course. And the people should protect them accordingly.

Regds

Eutow_Int*

=^-^=
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Yeah I do a bit of guerilla gardening like you say trees mainly, was going to try conker trees next due to their decline they are still common where I live but not like when I was a kid also should really spread some ash trees about too they are suffering die back in lots of the UK yet they seem undamaged round here and almost a pest plant. E.texensis is on my list of want but as Euto_Int* says they are not common at all in UK, no doubt sometime in the future I will aquire or grown from seed but not any time soon the wife is not best pleased with my hyjacking of the windowsills due to very poor weather. Will have to save up for a proper greenhouse I think.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
MJPapay

Post by MJPapay »

As yet I have not found any seed strain of the remarkable Echinocactus texensis that has failed to stand up to all the rain and moisture here in New Hill, North Carolina (just west of Raleigh). They are GREAT plants.
Eutow_Intermedium

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

adetheproducer wrote:Yeah I do a bit of guerilla gardening like you say trees mainly, was going to try conker trees next due to their decline they are still common where I live but not like when I was a kid also should really spread some ash trees about too they are suffering die back in lots of the UK yet they seem undamaged round here and almost a pest plant. E.texensis is on my list of want but as Euto_Int* says they are not common at all in UK, no doubt sometime in the future I will aquire or grown from seed but not any time soon the wife is not best pleased with my hyjacking of the windowsills due to very poor weather. Will have to save up for a proper greenhouse I think.
You know you can plant sweet chestnut seeds too. So when christmas comes again and the nuts are being offered to roast on an Open fire, with Jack Frost nipping at your nose. Everybody know's, your guerrilla antics will not only feed poxy Grey squirrels but could feed the Human beans too.

=^u^=

E. Texensis. Gimme some of this . .
DWDogwood

Post by DWDogwood »

As a youngster in the early 70's my brother-in-law's dad took me out on his land in Crowell, Tx and we picked an E. texensis and some Echinocereus reichenbachii which I took back to California. Apparently he didn't like children at all but this somehow turned out to be fun for him!
smweaver

Post by smweaver »

Awesome habitat photo, John (even if it's in someone's backyard). And good that someone enlightened the owner before he or she had a chance to remove all of those beautiful plants. This is such a great species. I have half a dozen of them growing in pots, and they regularly get drenched in our humid and normally wet summers. I've never had a problem with any of them rotting. Your plant is really attractive. How big is it?

Steve