How to choose?

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
fanaticactus

How to choose?

Post by fanaticactus »

First of all, let me say that I know the genera/species of cacti that will survive outdoors in my zone; I already have a small, informal winter hardy cactus garden. So I do not need to ask which types of cacti to purchase. I am hoping to prepare a larger, perhaps more planned-out cactus bed next season. My questions are these: Is it more advisable to buy larger, established (i.e., more expensive) specimens that have been raised outdoors in a cold climate, rather than the smaller examples (3 or 4" pots) from reputable sellers such as Miles and Corona if they are to be planted when I receive them? If I do buy the smaller (younger) cacti, is it best to grow them in pots for a full year before planting them to acclimate them, or shouldn't they need it if they're cold-hardy? If larger, hard-grown cacti are recommended, does anyone have a favorite nursery for quality, reasonably-priced plants? Thanks for any guidance you can supply.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
majcka

Re: How to choose?

Post by majcka »

I never Quite test it yet, but my logic is this:

If you buy in a nursery, then a bit younger plant is just as established as the old one. They usually sell ones in pots.

Other... you figure out for yourself. 8)
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

bluetexasbonnie
Location: Geronimo, Texas (near San Antonio) Edge of zone 8a - 8b.

Post by bluetexasbonnie »

I don't have any experience raising cacti in northern climes, ... so take this with a lump of salt.

Smaller roots, means less root damage. Also means a smaller hole -- both in the ground and in your pocketbook. Put it into the ground as soon as the weather warms up. That will give it the longest window to make roots and harden itself off. Give it some extra protection the first winter, and possibly even the 2nd winter.
My cactus must be gods. They demand blood sacrifice.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

A very long time grower (on the Too Cold for Cactus forum) says he puts his seedlings of the previous Fall/Winter germination out that June/July, which is my plan, Dave! So I'm thinking the Best nursery is Fanaticactus Fun Nursery! :lol:
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
John C

Post by John C »

That is a tough question there. My preference and recommendation would be young, small plants that have been grown at least somewhat hard. I have tried the hard grown older specimens and have had bad luck with them. I don't want to give you the impression that I have had a lot of experience with them, but I for some reason see them as less likely to survive. That may be completely wrong though. Maybe it's more of a preference thing. I like the instant gratification of a nice, large specimen, but I can't stand to see it die. I can get many more, small plants and watch them grow. Sure it's not as instantly gratifying, but it is more so over the long run. Also, I don't feel quite as bad losing a small plant :wink: So in my opinion, I would go for the smaller ones. It's totally up to you though.
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

bluetexasbonnie wrote:I don't have any experience raising cacti in northern climes, ... so take this with a lump of salt.

Smaller roots, means less root damage. Also means a smaller hole -- both in the ground and in your pocketbook. Put it into the ground as soon as the weather warms up. That will give it the longest window to make roots and harden itself off. Give it some extra protection the first winter, and possibly even the 2nd winter.
This seems to be following the same thoughts as the majority of the responses so far. What you say makes sense, so I thank you for the input. :D
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

hoteidoc wrote:A very long time grower (on the Too Cold for Cactus forum) says he puts his seedlings of the previous Fall/Winter germination out that June/July, which is my plan, Dave! So I'm thinking the Best nursery is Fanaticactus Fun Nursery! :lol:
Hi, Peter. Although, after last year's experience, I don't think I want to go through raising seeds again. So, I'm thinking the action closest to this is to buy the smaller examples of what I'd like to plant outside and plant them as soon as the conditions are optimal for them "taking hold" and growing. And, based on this harsh, depressing Winter, we should perhaps remove the word "Fun" from my nursery! :lol:
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

John C wrote:That is a tough question there. My preference and recommendation would be young, small plants that have been grown at least somewhat hard. I have tried the hard grown older specimens and have had bad luck with them. I don't want to give you the impression that I have had a lot of experience with them, but I for some reason see them as less likely to survive. That may be completely wrong though. Maybe it's more of a preference thing. I like the instant gratification of a nice, large specimen, but I can't stand to see it die. I can get many more, small plants and watch them grow. Sure it's not as instantly gratifying, but it is more so over the long run. Also, I don't feel quite as bad losing a small plant :wink: So in my opinion, I would go for the smaller ones. It's totally up to you though.
The main thing you say here, John, is that you can't stand to see a nice large specimen die. After this winter up here, I totally agree because I know I will have experienced probably more losses than I'd anticipated among my potted cacti in the GH. They are currently covered with layers of newspaper which I do not intend to remove until this horrible arctic weather has retreated far into Canada, where it should be! :evil: The "should-have-been-powerful-enough" heater simply cannot keep the GH temp at about 40-45F, where I had wanted it. :( So, I'm saying I agree that I don't want to take a chance with larger, more costly specimens outdoors, even though they should have be acclimated to freezing cold conditions. The operative word here is "should", and I need to minimalize further chances with failure. Thanks so much for your suggestions.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Dave - I'm guessing the vast majority of the plants you have in the GH are tolerant to @25F -- most of the Mamm & Fero's are. What I got forced into was that I have so-o-o-o many plants now, I literally don't have any room for more that a handful of plants & was forced to use the small-ish ceramic heater on the glass porch! (single pane, all glass, & pretty leaky to boot! I was terrified what the electric bill was going be, so the few nights I was forced leave it on ALL night, I had it dialed down to almost the lowest setting with of choice of Hi/Low buttons. Bill for last month was $10 above last year same period. (Of course, with the "Track" job, I can handle $10 or @20 extra!) It's touched down to 26F a couple of times, but virtually all plants & seedlings I have out there are good (theoretically) to (@ least) 25F - Parodia, Fero's, Mamm's (incl hahniana offsets), bunch of Escob's, Cory's, Echinoser's, San Pedro's, Oreocer's, Saguaro, even Faucaria & Aloinopisis & Titanopsis seedlings .... pretty much the works! Everything seems to be hanging on :-k
Come Springtime, let me know your losses & "wants", & we'll see what we can replace :D -- I have a lot of C-H's.
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

hoteidoc wrote:Dave - I'm guessing the vast majority of the plants you have in the GH are tolerant to @25F -- most of the Mamm & Fero's are. What I got forced into was that I have so-o-o-o many plants now, I literally don't have any room for more that a handful of plants & was forced to use the small-ish ceramic heater on the glass porch! (single pane, all glass, & pretty leaky to boot! I was terrified what the electric bill was going be, so the few nights I was forced leave it on ALL night, I had it dialed down to almost the lowest setting with of choice of Hi/Low buttons. Bill for last month was $10 above last year same period. (Of course, with the "Track" job, I can handle $10 or @20 extra!) It's touched down to 26F a couple of times, but virtually all plants & seedlings I have out there are good (theoretically) to (@ least) 25F - Parodia, Fero's, Mamm's (incl hahniana offsets), bunch of Escob's, Cory's, Echinoser's, San Pedro's, Oreocer's, Saguaro, even Faucaria & Aloinopisis & Titanopsis seedlings .... pretty much the works! Everything seems to be hanging on :-k
Come Springtime, let me know your losses & "wants", & we'll see what we can replace :D -- I have a lot of C-H's.
This is all fairly encouraging, Peter. I forgot what my lowest overnight GH reading has been--at least matching your 26, maybe lower. I can't honestly say I remember any 'teens. Maybe, though. The genera you mention are very similar to my collection. I know I have (or had) a lot of Mamms, Parodias/Notos, Lobivias/Echinopsis, Gymnos, and about 4 nice Thelos that I really want to survive. Your O. celsianus seedling and the nice "San Pedro" cuttings are safe inside with me, but the C. winteri cuttings are in the GH. Your offer to replace is much appreciated. Hopefully, the situation won't be as bad as I imagine. I am basically a pessimist when it comes to stuff like this. :(