Eyesore

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
melodies

Eyesore

Post by melodies »

This summer I planted a cacti garden outside. It is about 2 ft away from the wall of my house so that water coming off of the roof does not splash onto the plants.

Well, nothing is growing in that patch in between the garden and side of the house. It looks terrible. I'd like to plant more cacti or succulents there, sort of like an extension of the garden, but I must keep in mind that the plants must be able to take all of the water coming off of the roof after every rain year-round, as I don't have gutters.

I'm looking for plant suggestions that fit that criteria- as well as overnight freeze tolerance while wet. Please comment if you know a plant that might fit the bill. Thanks!
Attachments
The roof overhang
The roof overhang
SDC10876.JPG (45.79 KiB) Viewed 4952 times
Patch of nothing in between garden (some frost-bitten plants) and the side of the house.
Patch of nothing in between garden (some frost-bitten plants) and the side of the house.
SDC10875.JPG (53.88 KiB) Viewed 4952 times
-Jolene

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
-Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy
John C

Re: Eyesore

Post by John C »

That's a tough one. I can't really think of a cactus that would be ideal for that situation. You could always cover the area in gravel and do some sort of rock feature. Or maybe you could find some native or ornamental grass that would tolerate the conditions. I'm not really sure, just telling you what comes to my mind.
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Opuntia humifusa! :lol: Until you figure out something better -- doubt you will.
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Aloe Vera
Aloe vera 1.JPG
Aloe vera 1.JPG (95.18 KiB) Viewed 4943 times
D7K_1650.JPG
D7K_1650.JPG (81.4 KiB) Viewed 4943 times
Here is a combination of many Aloe, Agave, grasses, cacti and stapeliads in a similar situation.
D7K_1661.JPG
D7K_1661.JPG (78.6 KiB) Viewed 4943 times
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Nice alternatives, Harriet! None of those are in my outdoor world! :roll:
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
bluetexasbonnie
Location: Geronimo, Texas (near San Antonio) Edge of zone 8a - 8b.

Post by bluetexasbonnie »

Sedums are tough and look very good and natural with cacti. Some small feather grasses would be a nice texture addition among the sedums. There are ice plants that can tolerate a fair amount of cold. Yarrow has a nice ferny soft look and puts up with all forms of abuse (Including drought, flood, heat, snow and lawn mowers.) Its soft texture really emphasize the spiny, architectual textures of cacti. The only problem with yarrow is that it can be invasive if it gets too happy - but it pulls out easy.

If this area has at least half day of sun, iris would be another nice texture addition. Artimesia - like Powis castle - are tough and its soft gray coloring compliments cacti.

Espaliered grapes would soften the visual effect of the wall, giving the whole a more open, natural feel. There are other vines that could be used -- but for me, grapes evoke a sunny, rocky Italian kind of look that seems a natural back drop for cacti (even though they are obviously not Italian).
My cactus must be gods. They demand blood sacrifice.
Tony

Post by Tony »

The "overnight freeze tolerance while wet. " is going to be an issue. I would probably just put down a weed barrier and just extend the pea gravel from the house to the wall of the garden and maybe experiment with plants Harriet suggested.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Which, again, brings us back to O. humifusa :wink:
Tony

Post by Tony »

Which direction is that side of the house facing?
I grow Hoyas on trellises on north facing walls which get almost zero sun all year.
Wet, cold doesn't seem to bother them, as I water them year round, but I don't think they would tolerate much full sun.
In this image you can also see aeoniums (which would not appreciate being wet in the summer) that are way over size do to the lack of light in this spot.
Hoya carnosa 002.JPG
Hoya carnosa 002.JPG (65.54 KiB) Viewed 4917 times
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

IF there is enough light there, O. humifusa would be an alternative. I have all of mine planted in containers though, because it is not very upright, and tends to sprawl all over the place, which is not much fun to weed. (Weeding cacti and other prickly plants is a BIG problem in Florida!) A better Opuntia choice might be Opuntia cacanapa \'Ellisiana\' (you can find a picture of it at http://www.plantdelights.com/Buy-Plants ... -letter-O/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) It is cold and damp tolerant (grows well in the South East) and a little more upright, I find it a little slower growing than O humifusa, and that may be a plus for your garden.

Tony, the aeoniums are always a temptation, but are best left to the dry side of the country. Florida weather has killed more than a few! Just one of the many plants I can only wish for.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Harriet - (for me) the O. ellisiana a good idea. My ex (in Georgia) has several growing. MJPpapay sent me a pad 2 yrs ago & Jane (ex) sent me more last Summer. It's a "borderline" Zone 7a plant, so I hadn't tried to get it in the ground yet. And wasn't sure of it's moisture tolerance. Definitely stands taller! And dare we mention No Spines :lol:
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

hoteidoc wrote:Harriet - (for me) the O. ellisiana a good idea. My ex (in Georgia) has several growing. MJPpapay sent me a pad 2 yrs ago & Jane (ex) sent me more last Summer. It's a "borderline" Zone 7a plant, so I hadn't tried to get it in the ground yet. And wasn't sure of it's moisture tolerance. Definitely stands taller! And dare we mention No Spines :lol:
You can dare to mention no spines, but I seem to remember a few glochids!!! It is a Prickly Pear after all! :wink: It is growing well for me, so it should do well for Melodies too!
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Only a few -- & you can "eyeball" your way around the areoles easy enough barehanded! Yes, a handsome plant indeed! 8)
John C

Post by John C »

Harriet wrote:I find it a little slower growing than O humifusa, and that may be a plus for your garden.
Interesting, as it is the exact opposite in my garden. O. humifusa is rather slow for me and my ellisiana nearly doubles in size every year. :-k
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Interesting - the ellisiana just put out 1 pad & humifusa just goes crazy! I was thinking a higher temp preference for the former. :-k