Sick Opuntia!

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
perrycornish

Sick Opuntia!

Post by perrycornish »

Please, does anyone know what ails this opuntia? The nearest clue I got online was sunburn but somehow I think not in Northern Ireland in November! The affected areas seem to start in the aereoles and then is gradually eaten away on the surface :( It has only taken about two weeks for this damage to occur!

Perry

'No-one can make me feel inferior without my consent'

Eleanor Roosevelt
Plantcelot

Post by Plantcelot »

:idea: Hello Perry, I´m sorry about your opuntia. That looks really bad. I just checked my Ortho book and found 3 things that had some similarity:

-white mold - soft watery spots appear on the stems, leaves, under moist conditions these spots enlarge rapidly. Fuzzy gray, or white mold forms. Treat with multi-purpose fungicide.

-powdery mildew - caused by several closely related fungi that thrive in both humid and dry weather. Treat with fungicide.

-scales - dark crusty bumps; thick, white, waxy bumps; or clusters of somewhat flattened scaly bumps cover the stems. Bumps can be scraped or picked off; the undersides are usually soft. Treat with an insecticide cointained malation.

The first thing to do is to try to find out what it is. It is useful to know if you could you scrape it off and if they move. How long have they had it? Looking at it with a magnifying glass helps.

I had a case of scales that started in the aereoles as well. It is a great hideaway for pests.

Hope this help somehow. Good luck with it.
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

I've had similar things happen with monstrose O. microdasys in the past - I don't think it's a disease, more that the edges dry out and turn to cardboard. Maybe the odd spoonful of water every few weeks through winter might help?
perrycornish

Post by perrycornish »

Thanks Phil, I'll try that! Thanks for your suggestions and hard work Plancelot, I have checked all those possibilities out and drawn blanks no evidence of any infestation or fungus etc :(
Perry

Eleanor Roosevelt
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Perry,

Sorry to see your microdasys having problems. I have had similar problems with a few of my young opuntias while in dormancy. When I see this I usually give them a good misting with a spray bottle.

If the problem continues you might consider preforming surgery as not to loose the whole plant :(
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
hob

Post by hob »

perry, i would be tempted to spray with a mild fungi treatment, something like multirose i use it on my seedlings without harming them.

if it is fungal it may help.......if not it won't do any harm.

:arrow: multirose
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I too am leaning towards the watering possibility. I've had the same type of symptoms on a Consolea rubescens that I had in the ground. I started watering it more and it seems happy now. I think since that species is from the Carribean, it prefers more water. Likewise those O. microdasys prefer a bit more water than most Opuntias.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
perrycornish

Post by perrycornish »

Thanks everyone, she has been watered and from henceforth will get more water than my other Opuntias :) I think I will leave the surgery until Spring Bill, do you think that would be wise?
All fungal infections have been ruled out Hob but thanks for bothering to try to help, much appreciated.I'll keep you all posted on her well being ( her because macrodasys sounds female :wink:
Perry

Eleanor Roosevelt
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Perry asked:
I think I will leave the surgery until Spring Bill, do you think that would be wise?
As long as the problem don't get worse I think you will be fine to wait :wink:

One thing about opuntias- they can bounce back fairly easily :) I have the yard to prove it :lol:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it