How long does it take?

CactiGuide Members' Seed Trading List
sundanz

How long does it take?

Post by sundanz »

Growing Melos and Mamm Prolifera seeds among others since last August! They are still just little blobs! How long does it take for them to grow up?? Losing my patience since I'm not getting any younger and I like to see them grown up!!

I should have started this hobby eons ago....:-)

Karin
Life's a Cactus in the Great State of Texas!!!
majcka

Re: How long does it take?

Post by majcka »

sundanz wrote:Growing Melos and Mamm Prolifera seeds among others since last August! They are still just little blobs! How long does it take for them to grow up?? Losing my patience since I'm not getting any younger and I like to see them grown up!!

I should have started this hobby eons ago....:-)

Karin
Well. It sure desn't need an eon to grow up if it has any intention to do so. If not an eon is just too short. :?
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

sundanz

Post by sundanz »

Well, Maja, if it doesn't take an Eon then how long does it take to be "grown up"? Just asking....:-)

Karin
Robb

Post by Robb »

Mamillaria prolifera, should flower at about two or so years from seed, I'm unsure about the melo, having never tried the species from seed myself.
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

From what I've read, Melocactus matanzanus takes 4 or 5 years, other Melos a bit longer.
Spence :mrgreen:
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

&@#!! -- just typed a somewhat lenthy response & it evaporated! ](*,) So here's short version. I've got M. matanzanus seeds (self) & M. auzureus seeds from Daniel I planted in a propagator 13 months ago. Both have done very well -- Daniel's are 1"+ & mine sl.<1" because didn't anticipate such a high germination rate & overplanted. Just started (month ago) some Melo. caesius -- average germination & ave. small blobs -- but @ what I'd expect. I've planted a bunch of seed over the past year -- & some take off like rockets & some very slow, & not consistent with the "average" "track record". I've replanted from "split" batches & seeds from different sources & gotten significant variation in germination times, %, & growth rates. Just planted a 2nd batch of Mamm. frailea from Barry. 1st batch after Christmas had very poor germination, this last batch has had very high germination. Don't have Mamm. prolifera, but several CF members have grown them & they certainly weren't considered a "problem" grower! :-k My standard Mantra: Just keeping starting. :D

Now I just discovered this was a double post -- & found my "other" answer! ](*,) Anyway, Karin, in the interim -- just had the thought. I've got a bunch of matanzanus seed (& I know several CF members also do) & we all could send batches of our matanzanus seeds & you could do a giant test run. :wink: Seriously tho, if you want some seeds, send a PM & be glad to send a bunch!
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
sundanz

Post by sundanz »

Thanks, Hoteidoc,I feel better now! It's been 7 month since I planted my seeds and still, little blobs. It looks like they're all growing but at a s-l-o-w rate! They're in the GH where they get plenty of light and most nights I have a grow bulb on. They get misted daily but I'm sure I'm doing something wrong!
I just expected them to be bigger blobs by now!

For my next batch I'm looking for a propagator. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Karin
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

After my 1st efforts 5 yrs ago with available Summer porch light & heat pads, I've gone entirely to propagators, so all those growths I mentioned were under a 16/8 light cycle. Depending on your space (or lack of) & $$ (or lack of), I've got a couple of 4' ers twin flourescent - 1 cool white, 1 "grow"/aquarium (6500K) over end-to-end terrarium/snake tanks & 6 - 2' twin tube (cool & grow) fixtures ($20 + lamp cord). The 2' Lowe fixtures fit EXACTLY over 54 Qt Wal-Mart (handled) clear plastic tubs. I've lined them with Lowe's green foam insulation sheets. These then hold just comfortably 6 rectangular "leftover" tubs, which I'll put 1 - 3 sp/ssp or similar growing, i.e Echinocereus ssp or Ario. fiss & kotchu. or Fero's. If they need higher heat (all my stuff is in basement), a standard heating pad will JUST fit inside, but most don't, so temp cycles @ 85/60F. That & lighting will be on 16/8 hr timers. Soil is the same I use for "adult" plants with @ 20% quality potting soil, rest either NAPA 8822 and/or Turface & 20 granite poultry grit (but that's just me making things complicated! :roll: ). Drill holes in tubs, Bounty towel on bottom, fill to 1/2 - 3/4" of edge, bottom-soak till surface wet, place in baggie (open), nuke 3 1/2 min., cool, still markers in, sprinkle seeds, seal, place in propagator. I cover light fixture/propagator tub with HD aluminum foil loosely form-fitted. Violia', wait 3 months & 100's of giant cacti! :lol:
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
sundanz

Post by sundanz »

Jimmeny cricket!!! What could possibly go wrong with this setup?!?!Nothing!!!!:-)
Thanks!!!! I will print this out and staple it to my body!! Lol
Does it come with a guarantee?? :-) remember, I want giant blobs!!

Will sure follow your advice!!

Karin
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

No guarantees - like I said, you'll still get "no shows" or painfully slow growth. ](*,)
Tao

Post by Tao »

You could always graft the seedlings onto some pereskiopsis.................that'll speed them up.........
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

There you go, Karin. I've just chosen not to go the grafting route.
Robb

Post by Robb »

Tao wrote:You could always graft the seedlings onto some pereskiopsis.................that'll speed them up.........
Hehehe, it certainly does! 8)
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

One thing that occurs to me - planting in August, you were already past the longest days of the year. The difference in day length isn't as great as it is in the North, but it's still a significant difference. Most of the time your seedlings have been growing has been Fall and Winter. You should see much faster growth in June and July.

Where I am is about the same latitude as Quebec City, so the days around midsummer are really long. Summers are very sunny, too, with low humidity. Probably why I've had pretty good results without artificial light - we get 16 hrs of light or more at that time of year. Cacti really thrive here in the Summer...Winter is another story, though. :sad7:
Spence :mrgreen:
sundanz

Post by sundanz »

Thank you, Greenknight, that makes sense! I will just wait til June July to see if things improve!

Karin