Question about shade cloth

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
sundanz

Question about shade cloth

Post by sundanz »

I'm looking to buy shade cloth for my GH before the terrible heat starts here in Texas. What is the best density, 30,40,50,60,70 or more %? Also, is the color green better than black, or does it matter?
Thanks for your replies!

Karin
Life's a Cactus in the Great State of Texas!!!
cactushobbyman

Re: Question about shade cloth

Post by cactushobbyman »

I have extreme heat during the during summer and I use the shade cloth at Lowes. My plants have been doing fine. Also, I have a fan running from 12:00pm through 6:00pm. :D
BarryRice

Post by BarryRice »

I use screening that gives me 30%.
I'll grow it as long as it doesn't have glochids. Gaudy flowers a plus.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

A lot of people use the shade cloth you find at the box stores. There is nothing wrong with it per se, but I think it is too heavy for my taste. I believe it is upwards of 90% shade. Keep in mind a greehouse naturally blocks somewhere around 20% of the light to begin with. I use 50% shade cloth on my greenhouse and on my outdoor benches. However, I do find my most sensitive plants (particularly Haworthia and Conophytum) in the summertime like a bit more shade than that. Same would go for young seedlings. I fully agree with Cactushobbyman's use of a fan. Sweltering, humid, still air is not good for these plants. I have one in my greenhouse that is set to turn on once the temperature reaches 90F.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
majcka

Post by majcka »

I have a 30% cloth of a green. It seems to work.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

sundanz

Post by sundanz »

Thank you for all the replies! I found a 50% shade cloth on EBay in black that I'm thinking of buying. Hopefully it will do the trick!

Karin
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Be sure to check the prices at Greenhouse Megastore. That is where I get mine (the bulk rolls sold by the foot). You can get it anywhere from 6'-32' wide. It may be cheaper than Ebay, and is at least worth a look.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/cate ... e-material" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sundanz

Post by sundanz »

Thank you, Saxicola for the tip! I checked out their prices and found a 50% shade cloth that was cheaper than EBay. Ordered it and it's on it's way! The sun has been already hot on my GH and I used the nylon car shades in the interim to shade my plants! They work but it's a hassle to put them up and take down on a daily basis! Can't wait for my shade cloth to arrive!

Karin
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Glad to hear it. Now you can buy more plants for your greenhouse with the money you save. That is in no way a self serving statement! :lol:
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Hi, Karin. For what it's worth, I used the Aluminet 50% from the Greenhouse Megastore on line. I bought it in bulk very cheaply and cut it to fit each panel. It's lightweight and very easy to work with. Because I custom cut it myself, it doesn't have finished edges, but who cares? It does a fine job of reducing the sun's rays and it looks good as well (I hung it inside attached to cables). The Megastore has everything you could want for the GH; their website is very extensive and helpful. Their Customer Service is extremely courteous and answers e-mails very quickly. They will also answer more involved questions over the phone.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
leland

Post by leland »

I use the 70% shade from the big box stores for overhead or SW exposure for the low cost. For other directions I use agricultural grade which tends to run in the 40-50% range. In one part of my yard I have trees that drop a lot of little leaves so I use 1 inch sticks cut from my trees of local growth because the leaves don`t pile up on top. It`s a cruder shade, but it solves the leaf buildup.
sundanz

Post by sundanz »

I have bought 70% black shade cloth fr the Mega store. Very happy with it! Even with the sun all day on my GH it keeps things cooler and my plants look happier!
Karin
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

My shade cloth I got from Lowes is light brown and is the 4th year in use. I haven't tried anything else and my plants do not burn. Extreme heat, yes, sunburn no, only on seedlings. Last Monday, 110 degrees. #-o
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

majcka wrote:I have a 30% cloth of a green. It seems to work.
Majcka-where did you get your shade cloth from. I have been looking but only see the 90% on sale. :(

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;