Escobaria minima etc.

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Aeonium2003

Re: Escobaria minima etc.

Post by Aeonium2003 »

nes wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:19 am Sneaky little kotschoubeyanus!
Didn't notice it until you pointed it out!
MiguelCactus

Post by MiguelCactus »

Congratulations, I have read the entire post and it is amazing and the plants too, I love the spination of those escobarias minimas, at some point I will cultivate them from seed.
"A cada paso que damos se nos recuerda que en modo alguno gobernamos la naturaleza como un conquistador"
keith

Post by keith »

Some older cactus from seed planted 5-10 years ago. Mammillaria schiedeana surprisingly rot prone, its the golden yellow cactus third picture center, for being somewhat common. Echinocereus grow faster than Escobaria minima and other diminutive North American cactus that are still in community pots. So they are potted up and in a different bench with more sunlight.

Showing Echinocereus rigidimuss ( dense yellow spines ) and E. pectinitus second to bottom picture along with Echinocactus horizonthalonius which is hard to germinate but pretty easy to grow once a year old. Also there's Mammillaria plumosa the white feather spines cactus which is somewhat easy to grow.

Last picture has Mammillaria grahmii planted the seed in 2005 and stenocactus multicostatus about 10 years old and a scale magnet. Also top cut of Echinocereus rigidimuss, E. pectinitus and Mammillaria herrerea taken because main stem rotted. Right in center of last picture is Echinocereus weinbergii 10 years old or older. Another E. weinbergii one picture up that grew even slower shown in center back.
Attachments
Astrophytum asterias
Astrophytum asterias
asterias.jpg (168.23 KiB) Viewed 4499 times
Echinocereus reichenbachii
Echinocereus reichenbachii
echinocereus.jpg (106.54 KiB) Viewed 4499 times
Potted up individually
Potted up individually
various.jpg (162.21 KiB) Viewed 4499 times
Potted up individually
Potted up individually
various2.jpg (175.87 KiB) Viewed 4499 times
A little older
A little older
Screenshot 2022-06-03 170124.jpg (188.61 KiB) Viewed 4498 times
keith

Post by keith »

Sneaky little kotschoubeyanus!'

Easiest to grow of the three Ariocarpus I have from seed , A fissuratus and retusus being more rot prone. Especially retusus. I've decide once they get some size they go in clay pots , safer in my climate.
Aeonium2003

Post by Aeonium2003 »

keith wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:19 am
I've decide once they get some size they go in clay pots , safer in my climate.
Could you explain why clay pots are better in your climate? Something to do with overheating...? Thank you. :D
keith

Post by keith »

Hi Aeonium2003, Clay pots dry the soil faster than plastic pots and cactus with fat roots rot easier in wet soil. In Spring my climate can be hot for a week and then cool and foggy for a week. If I water the cactus when its hot and then weather changes to foggy the roots better be pretty dry.
These are clay pots 4" diameter and larger for bigger cactus WITH fat roots. Small clay pots I don't find useful , dry out too fast, so I use plastic.

Epithelantha bokeii flowers. Time to pollinate they never give many seeds and need to be crossed unlike E. micromeris which sprouts bright red seed pods no problems. The ones in the back are really old from seed back before 2006. They germinate best with heat and still usually never more than 50% for me.
Attachments
Epithelantha Bokeii
Epithelantha Bokeii
Screenshot 2022-06-04 192532.jpg (154.47 KiB) Viewed 4438 times
nes

Post by nes »

That's weird, I thought kotsch would be more rot prone than the rest considering the slower growth rate.
keith

Post by keith »

Don't know why ? Have to be careful with them, water less and less pumice more rock. And Move to clay pots once they get a little bigger or maybe put two or three together in a Clay pot . I paint the inside of my clay pots but they still dry out faster . Maybe they drain better IDK ?
MiguelCactus

Post by MiguelCactus »

In my experience with Epithelantha, they prefer really dry and mature seed to increase germination rates.

Best,

- Miguel
"A cada paso que damos se nos recuerda que en modo alguno gobernamos la naturaleza como un conquistador"
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Those Epithelantha are lovely! The rings make them look ancient.
keith

Post by keith »

More seedlings and bigger seed producers. Some are very old .
Attachments
Various Seedlings 2022
Various Seedlings 2022
1.jpg (148.34 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
Mammillaria carmenae seed grown
Mammillaria carmenae seed grown
2.jpg (117.09 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
Escobaria lee from Mesa gardens long ago
Escobaria lee from Mesa gardens long ago
3.jpg (140.25 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
Ariocarpus kotschobeyanus seed grown
Ariocarpus kotschobeyanus seed grown
4.jpg (125.92 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
Ariocarpus retusus from MG long ago
Ariocarpus retusus from MG long ago
5.jpg (136.49 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
Ariocarpus fissuratus 10 years old from seed
Ariocarpus fissuratus 10 years old from seed
6.jpg (123.7 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
Lithops home depot
Lithops home depot
7.jpg (132.99 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
Mammillaria curceigera from Abby gardens
Mammillaria curceigera from Abby gardens
8.jpg (160.26 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
Ariocarpus bravonus Miles2go
Ariocarpus bravonus Miles2go
9.jpg (164.73 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
Epithelantha gregii seed grown
Epithelantha gregii seed grown
10.jpg (160.41 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
Sonoran Jackalope

Post by Sonoran Jackalope »

They all look great! I especially like the E.bokei
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Those Epithelantha greggii look a bit yellowish. Is Epithelantha greggii in general less white than other Epithelanthas?
keith

Post by keith »

They are from 367.3 mesa gardens plants that I got seeds from. I located the original tags, I keep everything.

10x 367.3 Epithelantha gregii SB115 la Rosa, Coah round clustering heads $ 2.10 they are the orange spined ones, or yellow. Most are white spines for sale I see these days. I have both probably just location colonies differences ?

Mesa offered 10 Epithelantha for 3 bucks each so I bought two kinds after talking to Steven Brack . Other type looks more like Typical micromeris with Black tipped spines they are 10x- 365 Epithelantha greggii SB321 cuesta la Muralla Black tipped sp $2.40 .

I even found the Ariocarpus tag, actually no tags but thin strips of recycled paper, 36.4 Ariocarpus retusus SB334 huizache SLP long pointed tubercles $5.00 and written in red ink '13 yrs old " Mesa even had wild code like I-78*40 which helped the owner to locate the plants, that's crazy .

This was early 2000 's I bought lots of cactus from Mesa gardens they had a very good selection back then.

So old I have be-headed both types and they are in the pictures above clustering.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

I really like that M. crucigera! Must be ancient.