Escobaria minima etc.

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
MrXeric

Re: Escobaria minima

Post by MrXeric »

Just finished reading through this blog keith, good work on all those seedlings! :D
You are where I aspire to be: sowing the seeds of my own seed grown plants at my leisure!
keith

Post by keith »

Hi Mr Xeric. I find better germination with seeds from my collection. Try and get two or 3 of the same species and pollinate . I have extra seed if you want any.

Decided to repot some small cactus today. Do it in Winter dry so I can cut the fine roots while plants are dormant and hopefully not get root rot. But I also transplant year round and usually its OK. Bright Winter light not that great the pictures . I wont water for months now.
Attachments
Mostly epithelanthas
Mostly epithelanthas
babies.JPG (150.26 KiB) Viewed 2863 times
Turbinicarpus
Turbinicarpus
babies2.JPG (105.91 KiB) Viewed 2863 times
Ariocarpus
Ariocarpus
babies243.JPG (125.34 KiB) Viewed 2863 times
Aeonium2003

Post by Aeonium2003 »

Hey, if you have any extra seed to offer, you should probably make your own seed list. That way, you can distribute it to other members.
LateBloomer

Post by LateBloomer »

Are those ariocarpus 6 years old? seem to be around 2 maybe 3
keith

Post by keith »

I wont water for months now."

uh unexpected rain so everything got about 1/2" of water. see what happens next .... 1 month later all good they like the rain.
Last edited by keith on Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonoran Jackalope

Post by Sonoran Jackalope »

Very cool thread Keith!
keith

Post by keith »

Thanks been growing cactus from seed for about 30 years . Pretty fun .
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Your seedlings look great keith! Thanks for the offer, I will certainly keep it in mind. :)
keith

Post by keith »

Unusually hot today. But this picture was taken months ago its Conophytum pubescens from seed sown around 2018.
Attachments
Conophytum pubescens
Conophytum pubescens
cono.JPG (114.75 KiB) Viewed 2511 times
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

They look nice!
I suspect these you got as seeds from me? Then these are ex SB806, from Stofkloof.
keith

Post by keith »

I suspect these you got as seeds from me? Then these are ex SB806, from Stofkloof. '

Yes Aiko they are from the seeds you sent me :D . Have two full pots of them plus the others you sent me, conphytum devium, conophytum herreanthus and C. herrei . Right now its too hot for conophytums because of a winter hear wave but Turbinicarpus are liking it lots of flowers.

Only starting a few seed pots this year because over crowding. All the lithops seeds you sent me sprouted too :D :D . And I suspect the Bulbs, the flat seeds you sent , are growing in my yard where I planted them ? I will send picture when they flower its a yellow flower that hangs down. Like small tulips ?

I also have extra seeds if anyone needs them posted in extra seeds section.
Attachments
mammillaria sanchez-mejoradae
mammillaria sanchez-mejoradae
cono2.JPG (65.47 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
turbinicarpus pseudopectinatus
turbinicarpus pseudopectinatus
cono.JPG (84.9 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

keith wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:42 pm And I suspect the Bulbs, the flat seeds you sent , are growing in my yard where I planted them ? I will send picture when they flower its a yellow flower that hangs down. Like small tulips ?
That one should be Habranthus tubispathus. Should have an orange-ish flower. It flowers in August for me. Maybe later in the year for you?

If you ever get seeds from those flowering Mammillaria sanchez-mejoradae that you will not be sowing yourself, I propose to have a trade of seeds!
LateBloomer

Post by LateBloomer »

What type of roots do the Escobaria minima have?
keith

Post by keith »

I propose to have a trade of seeds!' Sounds good I will pollinate and the seeds they will be some time they grow inside the plant body so I'll have to extract them probably a Summer time job. I know I have one pod from last year but its low on the plant and on the side against the plastic pot .

Escobaria minima have fibrous roots .
nes

Post by nes »

keith wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:57 am Hi Mr Xeric. I find better germination with seeds from my collection. Try and get two or 3 of the same species and pollinate . I have extra seed if you want any.

Decided to repot some small cactus today. Do it in Winter dry so I can cut the fine roots while plants are dormant and hopefully not get root rot. But I also transplant year round and usually its OK. Bright Winter light not that great the pictures . I wont water for months now.
How old are those turbs, and how old were they when they first started showing the longer mature spines?
Very nicely grown btw =D>