First Time Growing "Shade" Cactus - Phoenix, AZ

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
SteenAZ

First Time Growing "Shade" Cactus - Phoenix, AZ

Post by SteenAZ »

This is a first for us. After building a decent collection of full sun cacti and succulents (the house faces west) we have started a new project. The bed is 45" x 60" and gets morning shade from the house and afternoon shade from two large trees.

Any advise for us? I will admit I am not very experienced growing these mostly small cacti. Even with the shade is heat still going to be a factor for some species? I would think most of what we buy from our supplier here is OK since he has them in a open air enclosure with 50% shade cloth.

One of our goals is to display as may different genera as possible along with having beautiful and interesting plants.

Tips or suggestions are appreciated.

I tried to attach a photo but am getting an error from the site about maxed out capacity.
Attachments
This is the bed with about half the plants in it.
This is the bed with about half the plants in it.
IMG_20140717_060925109.jpg (64.18 KiB) Viewed 1838 times
Steen Allard-Lawson
Tempe, AZ
Samee

Re: First Time Growing "Shade" Cactus - Phoenix, AZ

Post by Samee »

I dont know the answers to your Qs but they look beautiful. Id love to see more pics. Use Tinypic for image hosting, you can post direct links from them and you dont need to worry about image size.
SteenAZ

Re: First Time Growing "Shade" Cactus - Phoenix, AZ

Post by SteenAZ »

We now have over twice the plants in it. I will try and get photos up soon. We even have a Praying Mantis residing on the large Parodia in the back.
Steen Allard-Lawson
Tempe, AZ