Let's grow some Melocactus!

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
madkactus

Re: Let's grow some Melocactus!

Post by madkactus »

Stormsky wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:08 pm
madkactus wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:47 am I'd like to see a bigger root system on your melo. I've had so much bad luck with re-potting melos that I will likely never repot any mature melo ever again. They all die on me no matter what I do. :shock: . All the same, good luck with your melo.
That's the main thing I'm concerned about, but I've seen posts on here of some that came back from much worse, so I'm hoping I get lucky and it recovers its roots without issue. If not, I just may have to be more patient and start with a younger one.
yes. I've followed the melocactus blogs and posts and some people say it's easy and no problem re-potting. :dontknow: Melocactus, indeed have a bad reputation for being finicky and problematic . I can truly say in my experience it's very true. I had a very nice melo that I made the mistake to repot and it died very quickly. I'm just now getting over it. :lol: . I had it for over a dozen problem free years until I repotted. ( you can see previous thread) . I've since had 4 melos and they all died every winter for the past two years. None lived through the winter. I've tried different strategies and still they die. #-o I have yet another nice melo matanzanus. I'm not looking forward to next winter. 8-[
Stormsky

Post by Stormsky »

madkactus wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:15 pm
madkactus wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:47 am I'd like to see a bigger root system on your melo. I've had so much bad luck with re-potting melos that I will likely never repot any mature melo ever again. They all die on me no matter what I do. :shock: . All the same, good luck with your melo.
That's the main thing I'm concerned about, but I've seen posts on here of some that came back from much worse, so I'm hoping I get lucky and it recovers its roots without issue. If not, I just may have to be more patient and start with a younger one.
yes. I've followed the melocactus blogs and posts and some people say it's easy and no problem re-potting. :dontknow: Melocactus, indeed have a bad reputation for being finicky and problematic . I can truly say in my experience it's very true. I had a very nice melo that I made the mistake to repot and it died very quickly. I'm just now getting over it. :lol: . I had it for over a dozen problem free years until I repotted. ( you can see previous thread) . I've since had 4 melos and they all died every winter for the past two years. None lived through the winter. I've tried different strategies and still they die. #-o I have yet another nice melo matanzanus. I'm not looking forward to next winter. 8-[
Wow, I think I would've given up after 4 deaths. I love the look of Melocactus, but here in the states they're too expensive for me to keep buying them.(at least mature ones, anyways) I put mine in a bigger pot so hopefully I won't ever need to repot. :lol:
madkactus

Post by madkactus »

Stormsky wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:38 am
Wow, I think I would've given up after 4 deaths. I love the look of Melocactus, but here in the states they're too expensive for me to keep buying them.(at least mature ones, anyways) I put mine in a bigger pot so hopefully I won't ever need to repot. :lol:
I can get mature melos in Germany ( mostly ebay) for decent prices. Sometimes nurserys have them. I'm not giving up cause I really like melos and I must have at least one for my collection. This time I bought a melo matanzanus that is already in a big enough pot that I will probably never have to re-pot it. If it ever becomes necessary to re-pot, it will be many years down the road. I still have to figure out why my recent additions die in the winter as opposed to the longstanding melo I had never had an issue in the winter. :study:. It might sound somewhat strange but I think that different cactus of the same specie can perhaps have different tolerance. Some adapt to the conditions better than others. :-k. Eventually I'll get a melo that survives through a winter. :idea1:
Stormsky

Post by Stormsky »

madkactus wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:56 am
Stormsky wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:38 am

I can get mature melos in Germany ( mostly ebay) for decent prices. Sometimes nurserys have them. I'm not giving up cause I really like melos and I must have at least one for my collection. This time I bought a melo matanzanus that is already in a big enough pot that I will probably never have to re-pot it. If it ever becomes necessary to re-pot, it will be many years down the road. I still have to figure out why my recent additions die in the winter as opposed to the longstanding melo I had never had an issue in the winter. :study:. It might sound somewhat strange but I think that different cactus of the same specie can perhaps have different tolerance. Some adapt to the conditions better than others. :-k. Eventually I'll get a melo that survives through a winter. :idea1:
The cheapest options I've seen here for mature ones are in the 60-80 dollar range including shipping(~55-75 euros) and living in the colder part of the east coast, I barely see any cacti in nurseries and usually nothing more than basic species.(with flowers glued on... ](*,) )Though I see a couple nicer matanzanus on ebay in the same price range and I'm tempted to get a second one to increase my chances. :shock:
And your theory makes sense to me. My first guess would be that maybe the ones that aren't doing well were raised to maturity in a greenhouse where they got used to constant warm temperatures and didn't like the temperature/humidity change in your care, while the other one may have been acclimatized while younger and was already adjusted before reaching maturity. :-k
madkactus

Post by madkactus »

Mature melo matanzanus are on ebay or nurserys beginning around € 15 - € 20 . They are not a big specie of melo cactus however, all have cephalium. These are normally 5-6 years old as I understand. The melo matanzanus I have now as I understand was never kept in temps under 20 grad Celcius and never exposed to direct sunlight. This is a little confusing to me because it's clear these cactus must always stay in temps at least 15 grad Celcius however, I would assume that 20 grad Celcius temps in winter would prevent the cactus from needed dormancy rest. And never in direct sunlight goes against everything I know about melos. :-?
I keep my melo in normal sunlight but I'll be a bit anxious come next winter. 8-[
BryanT

Post by BryanT »

Due to the tropical origin of most melocactus (M matanzanus is from Cuba, mostly under low shrub and between rocks; they have dry period during colder months, but not for long), they mostly prefer constant warm temperature but not dry hot summer heat/sun.
My melocactus (in unheated green house, our temperature can be -2° in winter and 45°C in summer, currently between 3°C and 15°C most of the time, and quite wet) I always try to avoid too much direct summer sun, and even during winter, I will give them a very light watering once, not allowed the roots to dried for too long.
Bryan
---------------------------------------------------
madkactus

Post by madkactus »

BryanT wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:34 pm Due to the tropical origin of most melocactus (M matanzanus is from Cuba, mostly under low shrub and between rocks; they have dry period during colder months, but not for long), they mostly prefer constant warm temperature but not dry hot summer heat/sun.
My melocactus (in unheated green house, our temperature can be -2° in winter and 45°C in summer, currently between 3°C and 15°C most of the time, and quite wet) I always try to avoid too much direct summer sun, and even during winter, I will give them a very light watering once, not allowed the roots to dried for too long.
Yes, I will try a different approach next winter. I also understand that my melo has been misted every couple of days throughout it's life. I will continue to do this too. In the past I've kept melos bone dry in the winter. This time I'll give very light watering every 6 weeks from November till March, keep it at 20 Celcius and keep it off the floor. Do you see error in this strategy :?:
BryanT

Post by BryanT »

Hi Madkactus,
I think you just have to try to find the best solution for your condition. Most people will say keep dry during winter, but for me, it depends on your grow conditions, and every species of cactus can be quite different. Not all cactus are from dry desert/arid areas. I have seen a quite popular cactus grower not far from where I live, they have some of the most fine specimens of cactus and succulents, some of their cactus grow under shade cloth all year round, and get cold winter rain; and the potting mix they use will be scarily for most other cactus growers, it contains very high percentage of organic material (small wood chips, but not fine organic material).
Different locations have different humidity, air flow, temperature changes, light condition, etc. Even inside the house, each corner/window/room can be quite different. Just be careful, any small amount of extra moisture during winter can be disaster.
I only do the very light watering when I am quite sure the humidity on that day will be very low, just enough to give the roots a bit of moisture, and will be dried very quickly. A soil moisture meter can be helpful.
Bryan
---------------------------------------------------
madkactus

Post by madkactus »

Hi ByranT,
thanks for your advice. Your advice sounds good. I can only do so much. the melo needs to also try an adapt to my living room / kitchen next winter. Kitchen is quite warm all year along. Thermometer in kitchen always hovers around 20 Grad C even in winter. Humidity can be a concern but I have a dehumidifier to keep things under control when needed. I will only spray it when the humidity is low that particular day. I'll do same as just enough water for the roots.
madkactus

Post by madkactus »

I'm seeking opinions about my Melocactus. I have never had a Melocactus produce a fruit in the winter. Normally a Melocactus produces fruits in the summer. Is this not a good thing ? Does this mean the cactus is happy ? Is this detrimental to the cactus ? Normally cactus are dormant in the winter. I do keep this cactus near the radiator / south facing window. Average room temperature 20 degrees Celcius . Does the fruit mean this cactus is not dormant ? The cactus hasn't been watered since last fall. All opinions are appreciated.
Attachments
DSC_8527.JPG
DSC_8527.JPG (70.73 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
DSC_8528.JPG
DSC_8528.JPG (56.69 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
Nino_G

Post by Nino_G »

Hello madkactus,
Melocacti (I didn't read older posts, but from pictures I'd say it's M. matanzanus) don't hibernate in the full sense of the word since they experience warm temperatures and occasional rain in the nature even during the "winter" period. I don't grow Melocacti but I know fellow cacti grower in my area who has respectable collection. He keeps them in a warm/heated greenhouse with temperatures never dropping below 15C/60F during the winter. Odd winter-produced fruit is not uncommon in his collection, so I guess it's nothing to worry about.
Regards,
Nino
madkactus

Post by madkactus »

Hi Nino- Yes it's a matanzanus. Thanks for the info. Good to know the odd winter-produced fruit isn't uncommon. kind regards. :)
leland

Post by leland »

I grow M. curvispinas. They are native to rocky slopes, often in full sun, but at about 800 meters elevation. Coldest nights are probably never less than 15 C but are in the dry season so rot is less likely. Daytime highs are in the high 20s C. Cuba is probably much hotter and moister if they are near the coast. I now keep my remaing plant under white polycarbonate after losing one to extended rain.

I never really paid any attention to flowering dates, always a pleasant surprise. Fruits disappear rapidly. They are ejected when ripe if me or my wife don't eat them first.
madkactus

Post by madkactus »

Thanks - leland. Perhaps where you are located melos flower / fruit all year. It might be important with how close you are to the equator. The matanzanus is native to Cuba. I would be curious if flowering / fruit occurs all year compared to the northern hemisphere where it's mainly summer.