Let's grow some Melocactus!

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
madkactus

Re: Let's grow some Melocactus!

Post by madkactus »

@Karsty. Very interesting and informative analysis. Thanks for your insight. I intend to repot when warm weather and when bone dry into a bone dry mix. 3-4 weeks before watering again makes sense. And then only a sip. Better to error on the side of caution. I learned this the hard way. :sad3: I gave it way too much water when I watered 7 days after repot. The horror stories of repotting fully developed melos are real. I've read this entire thread and someone said that they have repotted fully developed melos several times with no problems. :shock:
Karsty

Post by Karsty »

Hi @madkaktus. Wow, this is nice to get off of Facebook for a little while :D
Many years ago, I bought 2 large relatively cheap Melocacti from somewhere like Homebase, with fully formed cephalia. I repotted them, and they faded away somehow. I can hardly remember what happened. I think one rotted and I got fed up with the other because it stopped flowering.
Anyway, yes indeed, this thread is really interesting!
When I repot any cacti or succulents, I never water them sooner than 14 days after, no matter what they are. So if they are particularly tricky, it would seem like a good idea to wait even longer. And if their structure is very succulent, then they ought to be able to cope easily with a longer time before watering.
I don't know all the scientific facts about Melocacti, but I did read that cacti in general move water from the plant body to the roots in times of drought, as needed, to keep the roots alive. And (I'm sure I read this also) that when water comes, they re-grow their roots hairs as required. This all seems to make sense to me.
Another thing about Melocacti, they grow (although not perhaps exclusively) on patches of "soil" on rocks, which presumably dry out quickly in the tropical sun. So this together with their form makes them seem glaaaaaaaaringly xerophytic!
madkactus

Post by madkactus »

Hi @Karsty. I have never heard that in times of drought the cactus can move water from the body to the roots as needed. Makes sense and a good tidbit to know. When I repot my melo I'll take a photo of the cactus and roots and post it for you all to see. I'm waiting for warmer weather before I undertake this operation. Hopefully no later than second half of April. At the latest sometime in May. I must say that I feel more at ease about repotting after talking with you guys. I'm getting the feeling that the tricky part is waiting for a prolonged period after repotting and then carefully giving the cactus sips of water to get re-established.
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

This one arrived 2 years ago with now roots. It took almost a year of prodding, poking and praying for it to develop roots. The cephalium is now growing.
DSC_0747.JPG
DSC_0747.JPG (65.46 KiB) Viewed 9801 times
I bought this one a year ago from Sunset Nursery. It had a short set of roots. The cephalium was actively growing though. After moving out here in Sept. it stopped. A few weeks ago I decided to see what was happening with the roots. Nothing happening, still a short root set. I repoted it with fresh soil in a smaller pot. I am getting small indications it is trying to come back to life.
DSC_0748.JPG
DSC_0748.JPG (65.95 KiB) Viewed 9801 times
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Hi @madcactus, one thing which you may consider doing it while repotting is treatment with H2O2. I normally do the reporting in nights, free up the roots from earlier soil mix with small force of water, then soak the roots in H2O2 ( 3% H2O2 one part with 3 parts of plain water) for good 30 minutes. You will see some bubbles. H2O2 is good for two reasons, it's a very effective disinfectant and second extra molecule of oxygen rejuvenates the roots. I then dry it for whole night on piece of paper or newspaper and put it in new mix in morning. It's then kept at my windowsill with few hours of filtered sunlight with good air circulation for next 7-10 days before any watering. For mix, I initially (am still a novice), I used to use river sand as primary material but now my mix for all plants is same - pumice, perlite and top dressing of gravels. For fertilization, I use slow release osmocote which provides necessary nutrients with every watering.
Tropical weather, no winters! :roll:
madkactus

Post by madkactus »

I was at the home improvement store today. I saw this guy sitting by himself in the cacti section. I'm like ohh man do I really need another melo ? :-k , I guess you're coming home with me. :wink:
Attachments
Melocactus-ruestii.JPG
Melocactus-ruestii.JPG (92.22 KiB) Viewed 9747 times
madkactus

Post by madkactus »

I repotted the melo-mantanzanus today. Here's a couple of pics of the roots. Roots looked good and firm. I will go with recommendation to wait 3-4 weeks before watering and I'll only give it a sip and see how it goes. fingers-crossed. 8-[
Attachments
melo-repot(m).JPG
melo-repot(m).JPG (129.09 KiB) Viewed 9642 times
melo-roots(m).JPG
melo-roots(m).JPG (85.41 KiB) Viewed 9642 times
melo-potted(m).JPG
melo-potted(m).JPG (99.11 KiB) Viewed 9642 times
madkactus

Post by madkactus »

Hey guys,
I had some seeds from my large melo matanzanus that died after repotting last year. The seeds have germinated. How do I proceed ? Keep soil moist. I read somewhere on this forum that the plastic cover should not have holes. Keep container covered with plastic all the time ? part time ? Obviously I keep from direct sun.
Attachments
IMG-20210422-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20210422-WA0000.jpg (79.87 KiB) Viewed 9512 times
IMG-20210422-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20210422-WA0001.jpg (72.98 KiB) Viewed 9512 times
7george

Post by 7george »

madkactus wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:15 am Hey guys,
I had some seeds from my large melo matanzanus that died after repotting last year. The seeds have germinated. How do I proceed ? Keep soil moist. I read somewhere on this forum that the plastic cover should not have holes. Keep container covered with plastic all the time ? part time ? Obviously I keep from direct sun.
It's a good idea to sterilize soil and the pot, seeds before to start and keep cover sealed until seedlings grow up a bit. If you already started leave it like it is and modify setup for next party of seeds if these not do successfully.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
madkactus

Post by madkactus »

7george wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:25 pm
It's a good idea to sterilize soil and the pot, seeds before to start and keep cover sealed until seedlings grow up a bit. If you already started leave it like it is and modify setup for next party of seeds if these not do successfully.
Thanks. I'll follow your advice.
ARIO speedwagon

Post by ARIO speedwagon »

Yeah they like to be kept damp. I'm still newb with cultivation, but collected a lot of seed from my very rough looking one (see above post) and planted them last year. I did the baggie method, kept them in there until about January-February (I think?). Now they are just on a heat mat under two 1600 lumen bulbs with a little tissue paper shading them. Deep watering once a week or so. Its finally warming up out here so maybe I'll begin transferring them to the porch.

I definitely gave all my seedlings too much light initially and was set back, but things are gradually turning out green.
5 of about 25 surviving seedlings
5 of about 25 surviving seedlings
melo.jpg (87.22 KiB) Viewed 9309 times
"Oh, Time, Strength, Cash, and Patience!"

Zone 7b
madkactus

Post by madkactus »

ARIO speedwagon wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:33 pm
Yeah they like to be kept damp. I'm still newb with cultivation, but collected a lot of seed from my very rough looking one (see above post) and planted them last year. I did the baggie method, kept them in there until about January-February (I think?). Now they are just on a heat mat under two 1600 lumen bulbs with a little tissue paper shading them. Deep watering once a week or so. Its finally warming up out here so maybe I'll begin transferring them to the porch.

I definitely gave all my seedlings too much light initially and was set back, but things are gradually turning out green.

melo.jpg
Hi @ARIO. Thanks for the tip. Your seedlings look good. Hopefully I can post some positive results in the coming months.
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

What's the general consensus of experts here on sunlight requirements for Melocactus and Discocactus? Is it direct sunlight or bright indirect light?
madkactus

Post by madkactus »

I'm not an expert but I have put a lot of effort into learning about melos. Never put melo seedlings in direct sunlight. After they have grown some on their own you can gradually expose them to filtered sunlight. I understand this process could take a good couple of years. Maybe someone can chime in on the advice of bright indirect sunlight.
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Thanks a lot @madkactus. Actually I was referring to the adult mature plants. I guess the bright indirect or filtered light will be suitable for adults as well. What's your views on this? Direct sunlight here in India is quite harsh (temp in summer goes to 37-38C and sometimes wind stops completely so chance of sunburn is substantial).