Degrafting

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
br34kb34t

Re: Degrafting

Post by br34kb34t »

Hanazono wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:36 am I degrafted 23 of 1st filial Astrophytum hybrids for the preparation of rooting.

The species is fukuryu banjyaku x myriostigma cv kikkou.
Since banjyaku itself is a hybrid and so the species is (fukuryu myriostigma x ornatum) x myriostigma cv kikkou.
I have tried to create a species of fukuryu with kikkou ribs.

They are 2 years old.
The size is various but large ones are 11 cm in diameter and they were in flower last spring.
After the completion of drying process, I will set them for the rooting.
What was the root stock used for these?
Growing cacti in Central Virginia, USA. Check out my Instagram for photos! @virginia_cactus
br34kb34t

Post by br34kb34t »

Set on wet potting-mix immediately for the rooting
[/quote]

For Pereskiopsis short stock, do you continue to water after placing in wet potting mix? If so, how long do you continue to water?
Growing cacti in Central Virginia, USA. Check out my Instagram for photos! @virginia_cactus
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

Sorry if this has already been answered, but has anyone ever tried using pereskiopsis as permenant stock, or is that even possible? I had a couple of grafted cacti on tall pereskiopsis shoots that lost all of their leaves during winter. Instead of degrafting I cut the stalk of peresk. about 2 inches down from the scion. After a few days of drying I planted them and they rooted quickly within a few days, this is how it looks:

And here I have 1.5 year old grafts of some rhipsalis species with some easter cactus visible in the background as well:

The reason for this is simply, pereskiopsis roots are more resistant to rot and more tolerant of various soils. Only thing I'm not sure about is, how long can this last and if it can't last forever, what is the exact reason of stock failing eventualy (taking out of the account physical problems such as plants topping over and thin pereskiopsis braking, such problems could be solved)?
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'day br34kb34t,

I count the initial wet potting-mix is 1st watering.
The following watering is normal, every 2 weeks in growing season is my standard.

Frank
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'day Carbo,

I think each person grafts cacti for his/har own purpose.
I graft cacti seedlings onto Pereskiopsis to accelerate the growing speed of scions.
The grafting can minimize the period from seedling to flowering size.

Pereskiopsis loses leaves in 2nd winter in here and you can not expect the acceleration of scions' growing speed.
I degraft them in the following spring.

I also use the degrafting method of "short Pereskiopsis attached".
The length of the stock is aroung 20 mm and it is buried in soil completery.
The stock in soil will alive more than 5 years.

Frank
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

Hanazono wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:22 am G'day Carbo,

I think each person grafts cacti for his/har own purpose.
I graft cacti seedlings onto Pereskiopsis to accelerate the growing speed of scions.
The grafting can minimize the period from seedling to flowering size.

Pereskiopsis loses leaves in 2nd winter in here and you can not expect the acceleration of scions' growing speed.
I degraft them in the following spring.

I also use the degrafting method of "short Pereskiopsis attached".
The length of the stock is aroung 20 mm and it is buried in soil completery.
The stock in soil will alive more than 5 years.

Frank
Ah so I'm not the only one doing it. But you burry yours completely,correct? So both the scion and pereskiopsis grow roots? I was wondering if it's possible for scions to permenantely stay on peresk. and grow on it's roots kinda like grafted trees which grow on rootstocks their whole life once grafted.
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning Carbo,

The method of degrafting with a shot stock is not new.
It is called as "daituki oroshi" and is commoly used from before WW II in Japan.

The short stock is buried completely in soil.
The roots are formed from the stock initially and the scion relies on the stock for a while.
In case of Pereskiopsis, the stock is non-permanent one and becomes weak some years later.
When the stock became weak, the scion starts to develop own roots and swithces over completely when the stock died.

The top dressing in pot have to be considered the above.
I use zeolite, permeable crashed rock which is rooting medium for the scion.

I will do the degrafting with a short Pereskiopsis stok soon.
I will post in detail in here.

Frank
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

12 scions were selected and degrafted with short stocks in this morning.
Scions are Ariocarpus retusus v furfuraceus cv Suguri cauliflower, sown seeds in 2017 and young seedlings were grafted on Pereskiopsis stocks in same year.

1. Selected scions, leaves of stocks were just about loosing

2. Since it was necessary a quick job, pots were prepared for rooting before cutting off scions. Wet potting mix and a hole

3. Stocks were cut temporarily. I checked all scions.

4. Stocks were re-cut as 2 cm length. All spine bace of stocks which are possible to form off-shoots in soil were removed.
Stocks were inserted in holes and completed the setting.

https://cactiguide.com/forum/download/f ... w&id=70529
https://cactiguide.com/forum/download/f ... w&id=70530
https://cactiguide.com/forum/download/f ... w&id=70531
https://cactiguide.com/forum/download/f ... w&id=70532
Attachments
Photo 1 selected scions
Photo 1 selected scions
IMG_4412 - Copy.JPG (94.33 KiB) Viewed 6084 times
Photo 2 prepared pot with wet potting mix
Photo 2 prepared pot with wet potting mix
IMG_4416 - Copy.JPG (129.87 KiB) Viewed 6084 times
Photo 3 stock cut temporarily
Photo 3 stock cut temporarily
IMG_4415 - Copy.JPG (84.83 KiB) Viewed 6084 times
Photo 4 set for rooting
Photo 4 set for rooting
IMG_4417 - Copy.JPG (98.06 KiB) Viewed 6084 times
br34kb34t

Post by br34kb34t »

Hanazono wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:58 am G'day br34kb34t,

I count the initial wet potting-mix is 1st watering.
The following watering is normal, every 2 weeks in growing season is my standard.

Frank
Thank you!!
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

6 degrafted Astrophytum hybrid, fukuryu banjyaku were set for the rooting in this morning.
Since they are easy to root, I did a normal degrafting.
They are in 125 mm square pots.
https://cactiguide.com/forum/download/f ... w&id=71990
Attachments
Astrophytum fukuryu banjyaku
Astrophytum fukuryu banjyaku
IMG_4607 - Copy.JPG (113.61 KiB) Viewed 5419 times
Pereskiopsisdotcom

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

Carbo wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:53 pm Sorry if this has already been answered, but has anyone ever tried using pereskiopsis as permenant stock, or is that even possible? I had a couple of grafted cacti on tall pereskiopsis shoots that lost all of their leaves during winter. Instead of degrafting I cut the stalk of peresk. about 2 inches down from the scion. After a few days of drying I planted them and they rooted quickly within a few days, this is how it looks:

And here I have 1.5 year old grafts of some rhipsalis species with some easter cactus visible in the background as well:

The reason for this is simply, pereskiopsis roots are more resistant to rot and more tolerant of various soils. Only thing I'm not sure about is, how long can this last and if it can't last forever, what is the exact reason of stock failing eventualy (taking out of the account physical problems such as plants topping over and thin pereskiopsis braking, such problems could be solved)?
Carbo, I love your Rhipsalis grafts. Is it something you do often. Did you graft a whole plant or just one stem? I have grafted many single stems before to just test out the speed of growth. I have also had some luck selling Rhipalis grafted to tall Pereskiopsis because they often resemble some kind of tropical palm tree. They are certainly pretty to look at.
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

Pereskiopsisdotcom wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:44 pm Carbo, I love your Rhipsalis grafts. Is it something you do often. Did you graft a whole plant or just one stem? I have grafted many single stems before to just test out the speed of growth. I have also had some luck selling Rhipalis grafted to tall Pereskiopsis because they often resemble some kind of tropical palm tree. They are certainly pretty to look at.
Not often, but I'm doing it more and more. I graft a small piece of stem only. I do it mainly because they seem to grow much faster on peresk. and I used to have a lot of issues with root rot with them. This is before I figured regular soils don't work well for them and they're better off in orchid mixes or similar substrates. But why would I buy/make special substrates when I can just throw any dirt in a container, plant a pereskiopsis and the graft on it.

Here's another recent photo of the rhipsalis with thin stems (forgot the full name), age is aprox 2 years from grafting:

And here's the photo of the same plant taken at beginning of june:

Almost tripled in size in 5 months. Growth starts off slowly when grafted, but once it kicks in, it doesn't stop. I noticed rhipsalis,hatiora and other epis stall in growth when on their own roots.

Here's a different plant aprox 6 months from grafting:

Here's another species (anyone know which sp? cross section of stems is triangular or sometimes square) I grafted in spring tho can't remember when exactly but I think it was may:

That one showed impressive growth, from a tiny stem piece to a fully grown flowering plant in one growing season :)
MoneyDQx

Post by MoneyDQx »

Hi Hanazono,

Good day to all of you.

Sorry to dig out this old post.

I'm new here and would like to learn more about degrafting.

Realise that most of the pictures in this post are missing.

Is it possible that any one can repost it?

Thanks.
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning MoneyDQx,
Is it possible that any one can repost it?
I used a free photo album on website but the site is no longer.
I can not repost photos.

Frank
MoneyDQx

Post by MoneyDQx »

Hi Frank,

Good day to you.

Wasted that I never join earlier to see your wonderful works of your with step by step with photos.

Thanks again.