Degrafting

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Hanazono

Re: Degrafting

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning Jura,

I saw the photo.
The conditions of both scion and stock are not so good. As you think, it is the time to degraft.

I do not know where you live in but degrafting should be carried out in spring or summer.
If the temreture was not high enough, you will fail the rooting.

Frank
Jura

Post by Jura »

Hello Frank,

Oh my! I live in ireland so it's pretty cold right now, however I have warm propagator which sits at 22°c day and night, however it also might be humid, what is the best way to chop it? At the union or leaving short stock?

Jura
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning Jura,
what is the best way to chop it? At the union or leaving short stock?
Since the conditins of both scion and stock are not good currently, you will fail rootings of both ways.

The degrafting with a short stock will be your selection but the condition of stock have to recover before that.
You may wait until spring and give enough water to the stock.
After the condition of stock was improve, you may degrat with a short stock.

Frank
Jura

Post by Jura »

Hanazono wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:32 pm G'morning Jura,
what is the best way to chop it? At the union or leaving short stock?
Since the conditins of both scion and stock are not good currently, you will fail rootings of both ways.

The degrafting with a short stock will be your selection but the condition of stock have to recover before that.
You may wait until spring and give enough water to the stock.
After the condition of stock was improve, you may degrat with a short stock.

Frank

Hello,

Thank you so much! I watered it yesterday, so fingers crossed stock will replenish itself. Will try to keep it warm as well to make sure best outcome!
Jura

Post by Jura »

Hello Frank,

Hope you are keeping well and safe! I have another question, I also got this turbinicarpus pseudopectinatus, and I cannot get my head around it. Are those the roots or some pereskiopsis leftovers? I really want to attempt and degraft this one, pereskiopsis seems to be nice and plump and scion is just about to flower. If those are in fact roots, what is the best way to degraft it?

Thank you

Jura

Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning Jura,

You may go as follows:
Degraft with a short pereskiopsis stock.
Root from the short stock.

If you failed rooting from the short stock:
Remove the short stock and root scion as a normal degrafting.

Frank
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Hi Frank, as usual, your threads are so informative and detailed. I have one case study - recently I ordered few varieties of Ariocarpus (kotschoubeyanus, retusus) and I was thinking it's own rooted but later found that they are grafted (short stock) on pereskiopsis. Seller told me that in sometime, arios will grow their own roots.

I have few questions:
1. Seller said since it's on pereskiopsis stock, I need to water them frequently (twice or thrice in a week). Does it sound right to you. I am in India and temperature here is around mid 30C.

2. I will be using pure pumice (of different sizes) and liquid fertilizer with every watering. Does it look right for both stock and arios?

3. I am in a humid climate with no winters, does it increase the life of stock even if it's buried completely under the substrate?

BR
Abhik
Tropical weather, no winters! :roll:
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning Abhik,
1. Seller said since it's on pereskiopsis stock, I need to water them frequently (twice or thrice in a week). Does it sound right to you. I am in India and temperature here is around mid 30C.

2. I will be using pure pumice (of different sizes) and liquid fertilizer with every watering. Does it look right for both stock and arios?

3. I am in a humid climate with no winters, does it increase the life of stock even if it's buried completely under the substrate?
Answer 1.
I assume the bottom of the scion contacts on soil. Watering of twice in a week is too much for the scion.
My cacti are kept in greenhouses and room temperature between spring to autumn is more than 30 'C, 50 'C in summer.
I water every 2 weeks between spring to autumn.

Answer 2.
I do not use liquid fertilizer. It may not good for the scion.
Pure pumice is used for top 2 cm layer which is rooting medium of the scion.
Organic material and pumice mix is used below that.
I just feed water.

Answer 3.
I have never experience tropical crimate and so I can not give an accurate answer but I think:
The life of buried stock may longer than my place.
Long stock life is not too bad. You can force to remove the short stock anytime if the scion reached to enough size for normal rooting.

Frank
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Thanks Frank for quick revert. It's really helpful.

I haven't got the plants yet but by looking at the pics, it seems that scion is touching the soil. But even if it's not, once I will get bare rooted plants, I will make sure that pereskiopsis is fully inserted into potting mix and scion touches the mix.

Thanks for clarifying on watering schedule. I will follow your 2 weeks advice.

What organic material you use for bottom part of the substrate? Can vermicompost be used?
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning Abhik,
What organic material you use for bottom part of the substrate? Can vermicompost be used?
Bottom part of potting-mix is:
Pumice-60%
Organic material-40%

Organic material is Cactus and Succulent-mix in shop. The main element is pine bark.

I have never used vermicompost for cacti.
A normal potting -mix for plant is good enough for cacti, I think.

Frank
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Hi Frank,

I received the pics of Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus which is grafted on pereskiopsis from the seller. Yet to receive the plant.

What do you think of this?
Daituki Oroshi will work on this?
In this pic, do you think the short stock is already buried in the substrate or I need to bury it further?

Apart from this, since organic material will be touching constantly the stock in the substrate and it will take time to get dried, I hope it won't rot the stock.
Attachments
received_219358933023936_copy_768x1707.jpeg
received_219358933023936_copy_768x1707.jpeg (54.68 KiB) Viewed 4402 times
received_579764499657385_copy_768x1707.jpeg
received_579764499657385_copy_768x1707.jpeg (54.28 KiB) Viewed 4402 times
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning abhikjha,
do you think the short stock is already buried in the substrate or I need to bury it further?
I think the short stock is already buried in the substrate.
Apart from this, since organic material will be touching constantly the stock in the substrate and it will take time to get dried, I hope it won't rot the stock
The short Pereskiopsis stock in substrate will not rot. It may dry up if you forgot watering.
Pereskiopsis can live in water.

Frank
Javier

Post by Javier »

Hi, first post here, lots of good reads before posting, and with apologies to make my first post a question…(and for my English ☹)
I recently received this guy from a friend, a nearly four years old grafted saguaro, do you think it would be a good candidate to degraft it by vascular bundle method?
Not thinking in degraft it yet, but I think the stock will not support it to much more time...
Attachments
Saguaro.jpg
Saguaro.jpg (105.91 KiB) Viewed 4061 times
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning Javier,
do you think it would be a good candidate to degraft it by vascular bundle method?
I think you should go to a normal degrafting because of:

The scion is large enough to root, more than 3 cm in diameter.
I do not know the species of stock but it seems a permanent stock. If you used the vascular bundle method of a permanent stock, roots will never be developed from the scion.

Frank
arnia

Post by arnia »

Hello mr Frank. I have got much use out of your very information posts over the past few years and am posting for the first time on here. I have a few cacti which I would like to degraft, a geohintonia mexicana and obregonia dangerii, both grafted on stenocereus griseus. The geohintonia is just over 3cm in diameter and the obergonia is around 13cms in diameter at its thickest.

Neither of these are species I have degrafted before, I'm not even sure if its possible to degraft obregonia, and I was hoping to get your advice on these items.

I apologize as I cant post pictures of these items.

I'm not sure if a normal degraft would be very good for either of these cases, as both species are very slow growers, so what should I go for?

Hope all is well.