Italian Nursery

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
templegatejohn

Italian Nursery

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi all,

I know you guys across the pond can't import plants from Europe (at least I don't think you can), but this nursery is worth a look. I've plugged it before as I do a bit of work with Valentino the owner improving the English on his web site. He is a great guy and very helpful.

There are some fabulous pictures on the site which help with the ID of cacti. There are also some unusual plants and lots of useful information.

http://www.cactus-art.biz/

John
ondy

Post by ondy »

John,

I have come across that site before. Very interesting stuff on it. I wish that I could get plants from the EU sometimes. I guess we all just can't get along. Maybe someday trade will open up. While I live in an area or close to areas which have many cacti nurseries I find myself wanting things I just haven't seen around here that are only available out of the country. That probably goes the other way too. I'm sure there are plants here that are hard to come by there. The cacti collecting hobby is truely worldwide.

Andy
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Too true Andy, the grass is always greener on the other side they say. Not being able to get a particular plant makes you want it all the more.

I may be wrong but I think all the certification needed to export plants outside the European area is so expensive that nobody wants to do it.

John
ondy

Post by ondy »

Your right John. Although I don't think that it is that people don't want to pay the extra but that the sellers don't want to deal with the paper work. The only place I know of off hand that will even sell outside the EU is http://cactus-heaven.com/ in Malta. I have bought seed from them before because they have some truly unique and hard to find selections. They charge 3 pounds for a phytosanitary certificate which I always get for my seeds. Also any CITES listed seeds must be accompanied by a CITES certificate which costs 12 pounds. As far as the plants go you must have a phyto and a CITES certificate and a minimum order of 50 pounds. So it can be done, but it will cost you a bit.

Andy
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Nice site ya posted there John.
To be honest I don't see the big deal about getting cacti from different countries as long as it wasn't illegally obtained "endangered".

Hey John, I noticed your last name on that site. Here in the states if ya mention Chippindale around women they visualize male entertainers without proper attire :shock:

Bill
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Bill, given up on all that, couldn't stand the adulation. I'll just stick to being kari's Lord of the Manor now.

Cheers,
John
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Yes, I can only agree on what John wrote about Valentino. A very nice person, great plants. I have passed several orders and if I had more place (and more money), I would go there with a truck !
Dominique
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

Whats been said is true, the biggest issue with "importing" to the US is the USDA paperwork. Senders have to have the permits on file with the USDA here in order to import, most dont want to deal with the mess that is, Also the buyer (commercial anyways) has to have a import permit on file also,, Goverment paperwork makes it simply not worth it
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Yes, Turtleman, I understand. It is the very same for us here would we want to order some plants in the US or in Thailand. Too much hassle, too many fees. But it is still free to look at the pictures on the website :wink:
Dominique