A small collection: 2015 and beyond

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
abhikjha

Re: A small collection: 2015 and beyond

Post by abhikjha »

Thanks so much Steve for your advice and explanations! I already soaked the roots into hydrogen peroxide solution (this is first thing I do for all my plants when I receive them after cleaning it). I guess I read this in one of your threads few months ago.

I will use your suggested method of half watering (and slowly graduate towards full watering) for plants with good root system to establish themselves and sip method (then half watering and graduate towards full watering) for a plant where root system is almost absent.

Does rooting hormone help? I understand that it helps in seedlings or cuttings but not sure if it will help in mature plant.
Tropical weather, no winters! :roll:
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

abhikjha wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:05 pmDoes rooting hormone help? I understand that it helps in seedlings or cuttings but not sure if it will help in mature plant.
To be honest, I never felt the need for experimenting with rooting hormone powder. My feeling is that mature cacti in good health don't require anything more than a peroxide soak of their roots before they're transplanted. You could try rooting hormone if you'd like -- if it doesn't help, at least it won't hurt.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Thanks Steve. Last night I watered as we discussed with a pinch of rooting hormone powder. They are now kept in partial sunlight. I will water these now after a week with same frequency. Let's hope that these guys establish themselves quickly 😃
Tropical weather, no winters! :roll:
Steve Johnson

Eriosyce senilis and friends (Part 2)

Post by Steve Johnson »

How easy it is to lose track of the time...

I posted Part 1 way back on April 24, and I finally have the Eriosyce senilis show up for you now. Although the winter of 2021 is long gone, I'd like to share these wonderful memories with you as the show began on 1/21 and 2/3:

Side view of a tall senilis aging quite gracefully on 1/21, 2/14, and its first bloom of the year opening on 2/19:

2/14 and 2/19:

The view from above including my Mamm perezdelarosae still in flower down below on 2/22:

A gorgeously colorful wide-open bloom on 2/22:

E. senilis and friends on 2/28:

(By the way, the E. duripulpa in front of the senilis is showing a nice bud that flowered in early April, but I'm saving its bud-to-bloom photos for later.) A close-up of the senilis doing a "slow burn" on 2/28:

The flush well in progress on 3/4:

Coming to the end of it on 3/20:

Before I found it at the California Cactus Center in June 2011, the senilis "knocked boots" with another one, and its union was blessed with issue when a seed hiding under the base sprouted in summer 2012. The tiny spiny guy announcing itself on 9/15/12:

A "family portrait" of Sr. and Jr. on 3/22/15:

Jr. was mature enough to produce its very first flower in April 2020. The E. senilis show continues with Jr. setting buds in early March 2021:

1 bud is obvious, and it looks like we'll have 2 or 3 more. On 3/20 -- let's find out how many we get:

Yep, definitely 3 buds getting ready to bloom. The topmost bud's colors are a lovely compliment to the red cephalium on my Melo matanzanus -- going from bud to bloom on 4/4 and 4/8:

A "helicopter shot" of the flower on 4/8:

Jr.'s mini-flush on 4/11:

I'll end today's presentation with more recent events featuring my Echinocereus rigidissimus rubispinus -- IMO the best of the genus. Buds on 5/15 and a bloom still going strong in its 3rd day on 6/12:

The wide-open flower with E. viridiflorus canus in the background:

Letting it all hang out -- that flower anatomy doesn't leave anything to the imagination, does it? :lol:

The colors are simply incredible, and we'll get to see more of them when the other bud goes into bloom.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

Hey Steve
I bought a Echinocereus rigidissimus rubispinus 18 months ago from Desert Creations. It had a few buds but never opened. Its grown 40% in the greenhouse but no flowers. Nice job
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
mikethecactusguy

You mention the California Cactus center. I was in Los Angeles a few months ago and stopped in before heading back to Indio. I was shocked at how expensive the less common plants were. I remember going there a few years back and walked away with only one plant then. More out of respect for taking up the owners time.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

mikethecactusguy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:27 am You mention the California Cactus center. I was in Los Angeles a few months ago and stopped in before heading back to Indio. I was shocked at how expensive the less common plants were. I remember going there a few years back and walked away with only one plant then. More out of respect for taking up the owners time.
The California Cactus Center was started in the 1970s by a Thai immigrant husband and wife doing business as Maleenee Desert Gallery. The daughters still own it, so quite a family history there. I was pleased to make their acquaintance when I started building my current collection in 2011/2012, although I've seen enough since then to tell me that we should go elsewhere for cacti and succulents. While I do like to support my local brick-and-mortar nurseries whenever I can, I'll take Desert Creations and Sunset Nursery over the CCC any day of the week.
mikethecactusguy

Its incredible what Sunset Nursery carries and then for the more unique Desert Creations. Try Frances Cactus in North Hollywood. She sells some wild stuff at times. I bought a few peyote from her. Nothing even close out here in the Desert. All the Cactus Nurseries grow and sell more common larger plants out here. My savior has been Planet Desert in Fallbrook. Great on-line store with some unique plants at fair prices. And then the occasional finds at HD and Lowes. I did find a landscape guy in Indio Hills that had some exotics dirt cheap. He caught on finally and raised prices 50%. I have a wholesale permit, so one day I'll trek out to the growers in Arizona and Northern San Diego. I know Frances does a weekly trip to Arizona and New Mexico to get her plants. She sells to a lot of collectors. If she takes a shine to you she will show the stuff.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
keith

Post by keith »

miles2Go has a new list out today if you trek to AZ trek there . When I lived in Phoenix I would often go there and buy a bunch of cactus and then go to the Desert museum.

You call first but they where almost always around.
keith

Post by keith »

:D
Steve Johnson

I'm baaaaack!

Post by Steve Johnson »

Yeah, I've been away from the forum too long, haven't I? We'll do something about that as I get this thread going again...

Here's a Sulcorebutia heinzii I got from Desert Creations in June 2018 -- first photo on 6/17/18:

Unfortunately those buds aborted, although not surprising since the heinzii had to establish its roots. With very nice growth in 2019, '20, and '21, I was hoping to see its first flowers, but the buds kept aborting. Now we have satisfaction this year -- the heinzii going from buds to blooms on 5/6, 5/10, and 5/13:

A side view on 10/21/18, and another one with blooms:

Beautiful plant, gorgeous flowers -- the heinzii is a treasure.

After Daiv Freeman got the forum back online, I did check in and look at some of the latest. I'm mentioning Desert Creations because I saw that allegations were made about DC selling poached plants. I don't know if they're true or not, but I was shocked to see some of DC's prices. As much as I'd like to support my local brick-and-mortar cactus nurseries, I have serious doubts about going to that one again. DC isn't the only game in town anyway, so I'll stick with Sunset Nursery and reputable online sellers like Miles Anderson.

Can't promise that I'll post as often as I have in the past, but's good to be back, and I'll keep the party going with plenty of archived photos and new material for you whenever possible.

Cheers!
Aeonium2003

Post by Aeonium2003 »

Nice blooms and welcome back! :)
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

That Sulcorebutia is a beauty!
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Welcome back Steve. Wish I had local cactus specialty shops!
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Steve Johnson

C. fuauxiana -- first flower!

Post by Steve Johnson »

When I got a Puna clavarioides from C and D Plants in December 2018, Craig and Denise Fry were kind enough to include this Cumulopuntia rossiana var. fuauxiana as a little gift:

Here it is on 8/20/22, framed by my Tephrocactus inermis:

A close-up of the plant:

The fuauxiana's very first bud going into bloom today (8/28):

Cactus fans either love or hate Cumulopuntia -- not sure about other members of the genus, but I'll come down on the side of love at least for rossiana. And since I have yet to see flowers on the Tephros I got back in 2011 and '12, it's wonderful to enjoy the only Opuntioid in my collection that's actually blooming.