Ancientforest's seeds

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Ancientforest

Re: Ancientforest's seeds

Post by Ancientforest »

Top row left to right: Echinocereus triglochiadatus v mojavensis, triglochiadatus(Otero co, NM)triglochiatus(Chihuhua, Mex), reichenbachii albispina
second row: Echinocereus adustus, bartholowensis, coccineus(unknown origin),coccineus(Chihuahua, Mexico), coccineus (jarilla Mts, NM)
bottom row: Echinocereus chloranthus, enneacanthus, grandis(San Lorenzo Island, BCN), grandis(Magdelena Island, BCN), mixed Echincereus seeds
Last edited by Ancientforest on Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keith

Post by keith »

Nice !! I'm having trouble getting mesa gardens bought echinocereus seeds to germinate, pectinitus types . 1 month later and maybe 5% germination rate.

yours look great
Ancientforest

Post by Ancientforest »

Looks like we need to find a new image hosting site,sorry about the pictures. They're not seedlings, but I did order a couple of cacti.

kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

I planted Echinomastus johnsonii seeds recently that were collected from my own plants. I want to see if any of them germinate. I found one small seedling growing next to plant that seeds were collected from and was surprised that it germinated. I tried to plant it in a pot, but the seedling was too small and it died.
Ancientforest

Post by Ancientforest »

Wow it's been a while. Here are the survivors from that last batch I sowed a few years ago.Image

Unfortunately 95% of my plants were destroyed in a long move including some very nice Ariocarpus, and rare species from Baja. Along with all the labels. I've been able to id these from old seed orders, and a few labels that were salvaged. Some I may need a hand on. Unfortunately the collection and locale numbers are gone as well.

Top row L to R we have: Gymnocalycium sp., Gymnocalycium saglionis minus, Mammillaria pacifica, Mammillaira Armillata? Cleistocactus sp.
Bottom Row: Echinocereus stramineus, Echinocereus triglochidiatus SB1598 ( I believe). Notocactus (probably) leninghausii.

The Good thing is all these plants show new growth and are ok in almost full sun at this point.

I plan to start another batch of seeds in the few days
Ancientforest

Post by Ancientforest »

New batched started a few days ago- I went with South American species that I never sowed from a few years ago:

Lobivia saltensis
Lobivia aurea
Lobivia aurea fallax
Lobivia varrispina
Lobivia wrightii
Parodia maxima
Parodia malyana

Agave utahensis nevadensis
Agave utahensis eboraspina

I will post an update when/if most have germinated
Ancientforest

Post by Ancientforest »

Unfortunately, I didn't have labels when I sowed these, but I have the pots numbered and written down, but they are the same Lobivias as before:

I sowed some Xeric loving Echinocactus species last week. Only Parryi has germinated so far, maybe by this weekend. I understand some have weird germinating conditions.
Ancientforest

Post by Ancientforest »

Also, Agave seeds just sat and rotted. Since, they only seem to germinate when fresh, i'm thinking I should just toss the rest or just throw them in a community pot outside and see what happens
Ancientforest

Post by Ancientforest »

The "difficult" batch of seeds. Left to right: Sclerocactus brevihamatus, Echinocactus horizonthalonius, Mammillaria sp, Echinocactus parryi.
(These need to be dried out sooner than most seedlings?)

Ancientforest

Post by Ancientforest »

I forgot how much work it is to do these updates, lol. But I wanted to post these species in particular fresh out of bags.

Echinocactus parryi, E. horizontalonius, and Sclerocactus brevihamatus, good germination rates, hard species in cultivation and hate moisture from what I read

Sarraceniacrazy

Post by Sarraceniacrazy »

Good looking seedlings! I can't wait until some of mine get a lil bigger.
Ancientforest

Post by Ancientforest »

@Sarraceniacrazy- They sure take their time getting there!

Lobivia sp. sown in June- clockwise from top left

Lobivia haematantha HUN 888 (complete dud)
Lobivia saltensis
Lobivia maximilliana TB 953.1
Lobivia varrispina

Ancientforest

Post by Ancientforest »

Last weekend I sowed 2 more bags

The first was
Echinocactus horizonthalonius
Echinocactus polycephalus
and 2 varieties of Astrophytum myriostigma
Unfortunately, these seeds were contaminated with other seeds that had mold(different packets/same bag), so I treated with fungicide. I've never had any luck with mold, so I'm gonna chalk this up to a lesson, although I see a lone A.myriostigma seedling that emerged.\

Second bag has
Eriosyse heinrecihana
Eriosyse taltalensis
Lobivia grandiflora crassicaulis
Lobivia jajoiana

I will be sowing more this weekend , I don't have many seeds left other than stuff in the Lobivia/ Echinopsis tribe, but I may have a few surprises left
Ancientforest

Post by Ancientforest »

Remarkably, some of these seedlings are still alive, but are stunted, I'm not sure if I can bring them back, but if they start growing again I will post updates.

Most of the causes of failure are me moving repeatedly, but hopefully, I'd like to get some new stuff going again if a few weeks.

The only surviving seedling in the past 5 years is a E. triglochidiatus or coccineus(label has been lost)
Aeonium2003

Post by Aeonium2003 »

You might want to get rid of that algae. It can potentially cause rot and other problems. Must spray it with some Hydrogen peroxide.