Pine Nuts

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
daiv
Site Admin

Pine Nuts

Post by daiv »

Hi friends. Ok here is a little project I thought I'd share. Last year I picked a bag full of Single-Leaf Pinyon Pine cones (Pinus monophylla) and finally got around to taking out the seeds and rosting them. Here is how it went.

First I soaked them in salt water, then spread them out on a pan here:

After 10 minutes in a 400 degree oven, I took them out:

Next, I shelled them:

And the finished product:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
YumAz

Post by YumAz »

Sure miss the pinon country, picked many sticky pounds around here
if you perfect a collection and shelling method that doesn't get clogged with sap, The state of New Mexico might make you rich.
:wink:
G. conduct research in the development of mechanical means for harvesting pinon nuts from wild trees that will not cause damage to the trees or their surroundings and mechanical means for shelling the pinon nuts; and
http://nmdaweb.nmsu.edu/Statutes/SCS/Csb/pinon.htm

These are the pine nuts are difficult to find because New Mexican Pinon (Pinon) are not farmed and the indiginous trees produce this famous variety in large quantities only every few years. At one time there were ample trees so that the nuts were available every year. However, due to poor land management choices and enivoronmental crises, there has been no major harvest for many years. They are only harvested from the national forests and private lands of New Mexico where the pinon trees grow . In the early 1930 this country had bumper crops of pinon nuts. Up to 8,000,000 lbs were shipped to the East Coast where the pinon became known as the Indian Nut. Indian Nuts are the New Mexico Pinon Pine Nut
T.he Two-needle Pinon (Pinus edulis) is a pine in the pinon pine group, native to the United States. Although it ranges includes southern Colorado, eastern and central Utah, northern Arizona, the unhbridized tree that produces the most sought after pinon nut is primariliy found New Mexico. It occurs at moderate altitudes from 1600-2400 m, rarely as low as 1400 m and as high as 3000 m.
It is widespread and while abundant young trees are found in this region, mature seed producing trees are sparse and a prized resource for harvesters.
http://www.wildcrops.com/wild_nuts.html

http://www.usgs.nau.edu/global_change/RangeMaps.html
Tony

Post by Tony »

Hi daiv.
Heres a few I went the other way with :)
Pinus thunbergii, japanese black pine

pinus eldarica, desert pine
pinus lambertiana, sugar pine (I think)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Cool,
You're growing Pines from seed? That takes a lot of patience!

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti