Newbie from Central Florida

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
roadman5312

Newbie from Central Florida

Post by roadman5312 »

Hey all, nice to be here. Retired now and always been interested in cactus. So I want to start growing some outside my hobby shop ( classic cars ). Shop has full sun all day out front, and a nice Oak tree shaded back yard. Any recommendations on what to start with ? I'll be exploring and getting used to the forum in the coming days. Thanks. :)
gemhunter178

Re: Newbie from Central Florida

Post by gemhunter178 »

Welcome!
Any specific things you want in a cactus? Spines? Flowers? Easy/Hard to grow? Given your favorable growing conditions, there are many choices out there.
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
roadman5312

Post by roadman5312 »

Thinking easy to grow to start off. I like unique, different stuff. Something that when I have friends come by they will say wow, what is that ? :D Going to be studying here on the forum.
george76904

Post by george76904 »

Welcome to the forum! You have plenty of options for your climate. As far as wow factor a nice big melocactus with cephalium is sure to turn heads and would look great! It probably wouldn't even need much special treatment in central Florida!