Lophophora specie identification?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Loph

Post by Loph »

i dont know about plants but when i was tryign to get permits fo rcites app 1 reptiles you needed to doa lot of things, one proving the parents are not related etc. this makes exporting them very difficult as they need to be captive bred and unrelated parents. do platns differ in this area?

are cites really THAT cheap? i thought phyto was 25 and cites for animals are usually 50+.

truthfully i am more inclined to buy app 1 seeds from endland and not pay for permits than go through the hassle. can alsways reorder many many times over before you loose enough to make up for phyto/cites.

cites also states that some plants that are grafted onto certain rootstcks (hylocereus, oputnia???) dont need documentation of some kind. anyone know about this?
Loph

Post by Loph »

shows how well i remeber things. here is the cacti bit about cites:

Artificially propagated specimens of the following hybrids and/or cultivars are not subject to the provisions of the Convention:
– Hatiora x graeseri
– Schlumbergera x buckleyi
– Schlumbergera russelliana x Schlumbergera truncata
– Schlumbergera orssichiana x Schlumbergera truncata
– Schlumbergera opuntioides x Schlumbergera truncata
– Schlumbergera truncata (cultivars)
– Cactaceae spp. colour mutants lacking chlorophyll, grafted on the following grafting stocks: Harrisia 'Jusbertii', Hylocereus trigonus or Hylocereus undatus
– Opuntia microdasys (cultivars).

is yellow considered lacking clorophyl? this explains wal marts selection of cacti....
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi Loph- I was just going from Mesa Garden's "Overseas Ordering Form", which has all the info down at the bottom. (That's where I got the $12 figure from).

My impression is that CITES was designed much more for fauna than flora. There should indeed be a different set of regulations for plants that is more effective.

peterb
hob

Post by hob »

is yellow considered lacking clorophyl?
it is in this case.........on the right is C silvestrii yellow form

incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
iann

Post by iann »

I believe that, subject to some form of registration, nurseries raising plants in cultivation can obtain CITES certificates essentially as a bureaucratic formality. I may be wrong about the way this works in the US but that's my understanding.
--ian