self-pollinating, viable seed

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
peterb

self-pollinating, viable seed

Post by peterb »

Hello- I have a few Escobarias that have fruits that seem to have seeds in them-- leei, orcuttii v. koenigii, desertii, guadalupensis and dasyacantha. I'm trying to find out if the seed is viable, since it was probably selfed in each case. There might be some hybridization going on too, however, as I think they all flowered at similar times and they were all outside. I guess I just need to experiment by sowing the seed labeled according to the "momma" plant it came off of and see what happens? Just wondering if anyone knows about the viability of self-pollinated Escobaria seed.

Some cacti seem to successfully self-pollinate, such as Epithelantha micromeris, although the seeds I collect from that plant don't have the germination rates that seed from two clones crossed with each other do. Sometimes a fruit forms on a cactus and seems to have viable seed but there's zero germination. This happened with Glandulicactus wrightii last year.

peterb
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Sorry -I can't say Peter, but would be interested in knowing the results of your experiment.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
eduart

Post by eduart »

Hi there,

Not exactly to the topic, but not too (many) miles away either.

This is a seed list, but gives the information if the plant is self-sterile (s) or serf-fertile (f). In some cases (s/f) it may depend on the clone. I think it might be interesting to know...

http://lapsyserre.free.fr/psy_liste/PsyListe_0506.pdf

Cheers,

Eduart
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi Eduart- wow, thanks for that link. I notice that every species listed of Escobaria has an "s" which I assume means "self-sterile."

hmmm. Maybe I'll just buy more seed from Mesa Garden. :lol:

peterb