Hana's cacti

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Hanazono

Re: Hana's cacti

Post by Hanazono »

I sowed many seeds of Obregonia denegrii on 9th August 2013. All seeds were harvested from my plants.
I lost many seedlings but some of them have still been in here because I sowed many seeds. Seedlings of Obregonia grow very slowly and I have not seen any flowers yet.

Photo 1: Seedlings in 10 cm square pots, pots were in a wet-box , taken the photo on 29th March 2016
Photo 2: Seedlings in 5cm square tubes, seedlings were out of the wet-box, taken the photo on 4th December 2017
Photo 3: 4 seedlings will be repotted in September into 6.5 cm square pots, all othere are same.
Photo 4: They will repot in September into 8.5 cm square pots, I expect some flowers in spring from them.
Attachments
Photo 1: seedlings of Obregonia denegrii
Photo 1: seedlings of Obregonia denegrii
IMG_2180 - Copy.JPG (131.37 KiB) Viewed 1235 times
Photo 2: seedlings of Obregonia denegrii
Photo 2: seedlings of Obregonia denegrii
IMG_3108 - Copy.JPG (176.12 KiB) Viewed 1235 times
Photo 3: seedlings of Obregonia denegrii
Photo 3: seedlings of Obregonia denegrii
IMG_2146 - Copy.JPG (141.21 KiB) Viewed 1235 times
Photo 4: seedlings of Obregonia denegrii
Photo 4: seedlings of Obregonia denegrii
IMG_2147 - Copy.JPG (141.88 KiB) Viewed 1235 times
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

One of Turbinicarpus valdezianus was in flower yesterday afternoon. I have many of this species but just one was in flower.
Attachments
T. valdezianus
T. valdezianus
IMG_2156 - Copy.JPG (138.73 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

I started to prepare repotting of young A. asterias cv miracle kabuto in this morning. This job is carried out in the end of February in Northan Hemisphere normally but I do it in the end of August in here.
I removed 36 of asterias from 8.5 cm square pots, which ones were sown seeds in 2013. They will be in 9.5 cm square pots in September.
They were stopped watering from mid of May.

Photo 1: Pad A, before removing from pots
Photo 2: Pad B, before removing from pots
Photo 3: Pad C, before removing from pots
Photo 4: A typical one, just removed from a pot
Photo 5: Pad A, after removed from pots
Photo 6: Pad B, after removed from pots
Photo 7: Pad C, after removed from pots

I will trim their roots and check the rotting before the repotting.
Attachments
Photo 1
Photo 1
IMG_2157 - Copy.JPG (140.12 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
Photo 2
Photo 2
IMG_2158 - Copy.JPG (149.86 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
Photo 3
Photo 3
IMG_2159 - Copy.JPG (138.87 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
Photo 4
Photo 4
IMG_2160 - Copy.JPG (168.74 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
Photo 5
Photo 5
IMG_2161 - Copy.JPG (182.71 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
Photo 6
Photo 6
IMG_2162 - Copy.JPG (162.38 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
Photo 7
Photo 7
IMG_2163 - Copy.JPG (162.31 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

I also repotted 12 Turbinicarpus valdezianus yesterday.
Some of them had grown large enough and formed some off-sets but I could not see any flowering buds.
I moved them from 6.5 cm square pots to 8.5 cm square pots.
Attachments
Before removing from 6.5 cm square pots
Before removing from 6.5 cm square pots
IMG_2164 - Copy.JPG (148.55 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
After removed from pots
After removed from pots
IMG_2165 - Copy.JPG (146.14 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
Repotted into 8.5 cm square pots
Repotted into 8.5 cm square pots
IMG_2167 - Copy.JPG (125.14 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

I will repot these A. myriostigmas into 8.5 cm square pots.
Some of them are already in 8.5 cm square pots. They were rooted last year. I used rooting medium and will change to my standard mix. They will return into same size pots after checked roots condition.
Attachments
A. myriostigma
A. myriostigma
IMG_2168 - Copy.JPG (111.39 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Hanazono wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:12 am G'morning Mrs. Green,
May I ask how long you have been interested in/ growing cacti?
I was born in 1948 and it will be a long story if I told all but I can tell a summary.

My cacti collection was interrupted several times due to mainly relocation of living places.

1st collection was quite short, just for 1 year when I was 12 years old. The collection was Mammillaria mainly.
My school teacher was a cacti collector and I learned how to propagate cati from seed also how to graft cacti frm him.
I forced to stop my hobby because my parent thought study was more important than hobby.

2nd collection was for 4 years. I bought a house when I was 24 years old but it took for 1 hour by train from there to the workplace.
There was a small frontyard. I bought a greenhouse kit and installed. Astrophytum species were included in my collection.
Since my job became too busy, I could not spend 1 hour for travering. I sold the house and bought a house near the workplace. Unfortunately the new house did not have a space to install the greenhouse which was the reason to give up the 2nd collection.

In 1989, I and my family passed over the equator because I was employed by an Australian company.

3rd collection was 4 years. It was a temporary location and I rented a house. I collected small numbers of cacti but I propagated 200 of E. grusonii over there. I donated almost all cacti to a local cacti society just before moving to the current location.

4th collection is current one. I bought a house with a large backyard in 2000 and moved in 2003.
Some grusonii travelled more than 1000 km with me.

Frank
Thank you very much Hanazono. I wouldn’t have minded the full story , it’s always interesting to learn the story of growers with extraordinary skills and talent, but I do understand that it would have taken to much time to write down 🙂
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Hanazono wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:12 am G'morning Mrs. Green,
May I ask how long you have been interested in/ growing cacti?
I was born in 1948 and it will be a long story if I told all but I can tell a summary.

My cacti collection was interrupted several times due to mainly relocation of living places.

1st collection was quite short, just for 1 year when I was 12 years old. The collection was Mammillaria mainly.
My school teacher was a cacti collector and I learned how to propagate cati from seed also how to graft cacti frm him.
I forced to stop my hobby because my parent thought study was more important than hobby.

2nd collection was for 4 years. I bought a house when I was 24 years old but it took for 1 hour by train from there to the workplace.
There was a small frontyard. I bought a greenhouse kit and installed. Astrophytum species were included in my collection.
Since my job became too busy, I could not spend 1 hour for travering. I sold the house and bought a house near the workplace. Unfortunately the new house did not have a space to install the greenhouse which was the reason to give up the 2nd collection.

In 1989, I and my family passed over the equator because I was employed by an Australian company.

3rd collection was 4 years. It was a temporary location and I rented a house. I collected small numbers of cacti but I propagated 200 of E. grusonii over there. I donated almost all cacti to a local cacti society just before moving to the current location.

4th collection is current one. I bought a house with a large backyard in 2000 and moved in 2003.
Some grusonii travelled more than 1000 km with me.

Frank
Good story. My introduction posted here is similar. How lucky you were to find that teacher to act as a mentor. I wish I had been that lucky.
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

I repotted 36 miracle kabutos in this morning.

Photo 1: before repotting
I cut long roots off 3 days ago. I checked root rotting but I could not see any rotting. I checked sections of cut roots.

Photo 2: after repotted
They are in 9.5 cm square pots.
Potting-mix is 60% pumice sand, 1~4 mm size and 40% organic base cactus mix in store.
Top dressing is 2~4 mm zeolite

I found 2 of them are not miracle kabuto, dream kabuto all others are miracle kabuto.
Attachments
Photo 1
Photo 1
IMG_2174 - Copy.JPG (143.04 KiB) Viewed 990 times
Photo 2
Photo 2
IMG_2173 - Copy.JPG (157.79 KiB) Viewed 990 times
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

A pediocactus winkleri has pushed a flowering bud up.
My friend gave me a seedling of P. winkleri and I grafted it onto a Pereskiopsis stock in December 2020.
The scion grew quickly and I degrafted it January 2022. It was a main body and two off-sets.

Unfortunately I lost the main body during rooting process but two off-sets could survive.
The photo is one of them, in 6.5 cm square pot. I have never seen actual flowers of Pediocactus.
Attachments
P. winkleri
P. winkleri
IMG_2175 - Copy.JPG (116.69 KiB) Viewed 957 times
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

Two cacti were removed from ground, which are E. platyacanthus and F. glucesens.
They sit on empty pots to minimize roots damage and waiting potting. I cut some roots during removing them from ground.
Attachments
E. platyacanthus and F. glucesens
E. platyacanthus and F. glucesens
IMG_2178 - Copy.JPG (129.64 KiB) Viewed 920 times
BryanT

Post by BryanT »

Hanazono wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:31 pm Two cacti were removed from ground, which are E. platyacanthus and F. glucesens.
They sit on empty pots to minimize roots damage and waiting potting. I cut some roots during removing them from ground.
Good morning, Frank!
Not easy to re-pot them, heavy and spiky.🤔😣
You might want a couple of big pots.
My Ferocactus, I will give them a permanent big pot or leave them in the ground, once they get to over 30cm. Too troublesome to re-pot them.
Bryan
---------------------------------------------------
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'day Bryan,

Thanks for your comment.
Not easy to re-pot them, heavy and spiky.🤔😣
You might want a couple of big pots.
My Ferocactus, I will give them a permanent big pot or leave them in the ground, once they get to over 30cm. Too troublesome to re-pot them.
Although they are 24 cm in diameter, it was not easy to remove from ground.
I made a mistake for the initial planting location. It was sunny location but it turned to shade place because surrounding cacti grew taller.

I bought two sizes of large pots. I will use larger ones.

Frank
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

I set 5 small off-sets of fukuryu for rooting yesterday. Since off-sets are quite small, 25~30 mm in diameter, they were semi-buried in rooting medium to minimize drying up. It was long time ago, imported cacti had no roots and a similar method was used for rooting.

They are in 5 cm square tubes. Rooting medium is 2~4 mm pumice sand.
Attachments
A. hybrid, hakujyo fukuryu banjyaku
A. hybrid, hakujyo fukuryu banjyaku
IMG_2179 - Copy.JPG (130.15 KiB) Viewed 868 times
keith

Post by keith »

I also repotted 12 Turbinicarpus valdezianus yesterday. " Nice they are big are they grafted plants at first ?
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning keith,
" Nice they are big are they grafted plants at first ?
Large ones are rooted off-sets. I took these off-sets from a grafted one.

My valdezianus have started to be in flower. Please have a look the attached photo.

Frank
Attachments
T. valdezianus
T. valdezianus
IMG_2182 - Copy.JPG (137.64 KiB) Viewed 833 times