Brand new Cacti Lover

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
minabug

Brand new Cacti Lover

Post by minabug »

I just started getting into cacti about a month ago. It started with my moon cactus...then started the love for it and I got more. Any suggestions? I have them in clay pots (unglazed) and they've been doing well since they're not big yet. My "old man" as I call him has had his hair and spines grow already since getting him! My rock plant looked like it split on one side and you could see the fleshy inside (you can see it in the pic on the left side of it) but it's not rotting..so I'm not sure about that. I'm enjoying owning cacti so far...by far my favorite so far is my Old Man. :)
Attachments
cacti.jpg
cacti.jpg (30.53 KiB) Viewed 1493 times
cacti2.jpg
cacti2.jpg (25.49 KiB) Viewed 1493 times
teo

Re: Brand new Cacti Lover

Post by teo »

Welcome, I hope you know that the only cactus in the two pots is the 'old man' (which looks like an Oreocereus) - the others are succulents :-)
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

minabug wrote:My rock plant looked like it split on one side and you could see the fleshy inside (you can see it in the pic on the left side of it) but it's not rotting..so I'm not sure about that.
It is growing a new leaf pair. This is normal for a Pleiospilos nelii. The old leave pairs should wither away eventually.
Be very careful over overwatering this plant. It will rot really fast. Better on its own in a much smaller pot.
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Welcome!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Hiya.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
sucti2016

Post by sucti2016 »

Hello! Hello! Yeah, looks like I agree with teo. Only the old man is a cacti. I'm a brand new succulent lover myself!