August 2016 Consolea falcata

A more in depth look at individual cactus species, a new one is added each month -managed by Hob
BrandonH

August 2016 Consolea falcata

Post by BrandonH »

I don't know if anyone is aloud to do this? It has been long time since anyone has posted in here. So i am hoping to kick start it again :) with a Consolea falcata or i think that is what it is.

Consolea falcata
Native to Hispaniola and is a fast grower in direct sunlight. This plant sends out new pads almost weekly so far since i have had it.
My plant seems to be a little tolerant of damp soil as long as it is in direct sunlight However i never let my plant stay waterlogged or in standing water.

No flowers yet in the first year i have had it.
IMG_4194.JPG
IMG_4194.JPG (88.32 KiB) Viewed 7670 times
Brandon
Vipassana

Re: August 2016 Consolea falcata

Post by Vipassana »

I have one of these I was looking at just this morning. It grows like a weed. Yours has a much more symmetrical shape than most I've seen.
BrandonH

Post by BrandonH »

I agree i go this plant in Jan i believe and it has taking off like crazy.
Why do you think causes it to be more symmetrical shape? I have it in a deep pot with peat moss and lots of perlite. I gets lots of sun on the porch
And gets watered when it rains. I dump standing water out after the rains stop. In periods of extended days of rains i will slid the plant under the porch roof till they stop.
Then i will slide it back out in the sun. That is the only care i give this plant because it seems to be loving it!
Brandon
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

"I don't know if anyone is aloud to do this? It has been long time since anyone has posted in here. So i am hoping to kick start it again."

I think it is open to anybody who has the time and inclination to post them Brandon, with preferably a little information on the plant chosen, as you have. To my shame I have taken virtually no cactus pictures this year due to other things taking priority.
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

Dave, a photo does not have to new to be shared and enjoyed. Hope to see more Cactus of the Month!

Shmuel
Amazing plants, amazing form, amazing flowers...
Amazing cacti!
BrandonH

Post by BrandonH »

Shmuel wrote:Dave, a photo does not have to new to be shared and enjoyed. Hope to see more Cactus of the Month!

Shmuel
DaveW wrote:"I don't know if anyone is aloud to do this? It has been long time since anyone has posted in here. So i am hoping to kick start it again."

I think it is open to anybody who has the time and inclination to post them Brandon, with preferably a little information on the plant chosen, as you have. To my shame I have taken virtually no cactus pictures this year due to other things taking priority.
Thanks for the info! Sorry for the late response i have been pretty busy lately. Sometimes it is just hard to keep up with stuff with everything else that goes on.
Brandon
mdpillet

Post by mdpillet »

I don't think this is C. falcata though!