pink astrophytum

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
oldcat61

pink astrophytum

Post by oldcat61 »

Is there a special name for the pink flowered Astrophytum? This may open more tomorrow but I took a pic in case it didn't. Inherited from a deceased member of our local club; first time blooming for me. TIA.
Attachments
Astrophytum Barad bloom (640x512).jpg
Astrophytum Barad bloom (640x512).jpg (317.5 KiB) Viewed 771 times
DaveW

Re: pink astrophytum

Post by DaveW »

Don't think so, but it would probably have a cultivar name if it did since I don't think pink ones have been found in habitat? However any cactus that has some red in the flower, if only on the scales on the outside of the flower can in theory produce red flowered forms. Looking on the Web I cannot see any pink flowered ornatum's since they don't have a red centre to the flower therefore are less likely to produce pink flowered forms, but many of the other species do produce red and pink flowers:-

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Pink+ ... 80&bih=687
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Thanks Dave. That's about all I found too. Asterias seems to be pink but I couldn't find an ornatum ( what I assume this is). This old guy came from a well known local enthusiast who collected all over the world. When he died, no one wanted this, since it wasn't show quality. Wish I knew the back story.
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

Could it be a hybrid with A.capricorne? I have just bought an A.capricorne from Southfield nursery (Cactusland) in the UK that has pink flowers - it was sat amongst lots of "normal" yellow flowering specimens and a couple more pink ones, and wasn't sold as anything special (unfortunately the flowers closed on the way home, so I didn't get a photo). Regarding what DaveW said, capricorne has a red throat to its flowers so I guess would throw up red/pink flowered specimens more easily.

The second photo you posted on K.W.s thread does seem to show a little more curve on the spines than would seem to be normal for an A.ornatum, but for all I know that's perfectly normal for slightly imperfect plants!