Christmas cactus

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
JParnell

Christmas cactus

Post by JParnell »

Hi everyone! I'm new here. My grandmother has a Christmas cactus, and for my birthday she gave me a start off of it. It's really special to me, I want to keep it alive and growing. I tried to upload a picture but it gave me an error :? I had a few questions about how to take care of it. Right now it's on my front porch so it gets sunshine but isn't directly in the sun. I think it's growing well, I'm trying to rotate it so it grows on all sides.
Is it ok on the porch for right now? At what time of the year do I bring it in, and where do I store it inside while it gets reday to bloom? Doesn't it have to be stored in a cool dark place for a few months?
What kind of pot should it be in? I've only had it for about 2 months so it's about ready to be re-potted.
I'm sorry for all the questions but I really do appreciate all the help. Thanks everyone!
toadstar

Re: Christmas cactus

Post by toadstar »

You can use http://imgur.com/ for pictures. Just click the green "new post" button at the top and copy & paste the link it gives you here.

What is your location? The porch sounds ok for now. When October rolls around I place my Christmas cactus in a little used room where it still gets lots of natural light during the day but no artificial light at all. Totally dark at night. From my experience and from what I've read that seems to be key in getting to bloom. Artificial lights at night will interfere with its flower development. I'm not so sure about temperature and watering but they may be things to consider as well. Any pot you place it in should have good drainage.

JParnell

Post by JParnell »

I live in Indiana. My other question..there isn't a really good spot in the house where I can put any kind of plant and it gets good sunlight. I have one shelf I can set it on by the window but the only sun is through the blinds. All the other windows there isn't really a good spot it can get sunlight. Which is why I initially chose the porch. It's screened off, part of it has pastic over the screen so it's not an open porch.
When you bring it in, it's suppose to get sunlight in the day and complete darkness at night? I'm not sure where I could put it to get that. And then once it blooms, when do you bring it back out? Could I put it on my coffee table in the living room.once it blooms? And then back on the porch in the spring?
Again, I apologize for all the questions. This is all.so new to me, I find It very interesting :D
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

You could also put a box over it at night as well to block out light if you don't have such a room. Once the flower buds are well developed and starts blooming then it should be okay to set on your coffee table and then back out on the porch in the spring.

https://www.chicagobotanic.org/plantinf ... mas_cactus
JParnell

Post by JParnell »

Ok, so bring it in around October? Can I leave it on thr coffee table during the day and use the box cover at night? I don't have a good spot in the house where it could get a lt of sunshine through the windows. I have one shelf but it's not a while lot of light :/
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Mine are on a north/east facing window so get very little sunlight, and none in the winter.
Unless it's under a spotlight thaht's on for hours every day or something like that, normal room lighting shouldn't be a problem.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
JParnell

Post by JParnell »

In the house it wouldn't be like under a spotlight every hour of every day, but our living room light is on all the time. So it would be in artifical light during the day and I can cover it at night. Would it still bloom ok? Another worry, and this may just be because it's young still, when I first put it outside it started to grow on just one side. I figure it will eventually grow all the way around which is why I started rotating it. How long does it take to fully grow and work it's way out? Does it bloom when it's young?
JParnell

Post by JParnell »

I've been looking at pictures of other people's plants and notice that some of the cacti are planted in small rocks. Right now my Christmas cactus is in thr dirt that the original plant is from but since I'm getting ready to replant it, should there be rocks instead of dirt, or in addition to, or just the dirt? When I say dirt I mean the special cacti soil. I also have a ruby ball cactus and it's just in that soil and seems to be doing good. Not sure which ones need the rocks, or if it's just for decoration?
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

Soil mix depends a little on which Christmas cactus you have. In my limited experience:
The true Christmas Cactus, Schlumbergera x buckleyi, grows a large rootball more like a desert cactus, and is best in a well draining, mostly innorganic, mix. I use seived John Innes, to remove the large organic material, with added grit.
The false Christmas cactus, or Thanksgiving cactus (an American name which I actually quite like), Schlumbergera truncata is more of a true epiphyte and grows a small root bundle. This is best in a loose organic mix, mimicking the "soils" that form in the crooks of tree branches. I use a peat-free multipurpose, seived to remove the finer material, will grit added.
In both cases a top coat of grit is a good idea to keep pests out of the compost, especially sciarid flies with the more organic mixes.

Again in my limited experience, the Thanksgiving cactus is much fussier than the Christmas cactus, and hates being moved once it is in flower (will often drop/shed most of its buds), so is best being moved inside when its buds have just started to form.
JParnell

Post by JParnell »

Ok, I am having a really tricky time with this. My cactus is still on the porch, it's still fairly warm outside. But I know soon its going to have to be brought in. I have searched my house and I kid you not, I don't have a good place for it. There isn't room to put it next to any of my window sills, except one. I have one shelf in the living room that it may get a little light but it will get too much artifical light there, it seems like my living room light is always on.
I know I can cover it at night but I can't think of a good place for during the day.
Also, when someone has a minute, could you break it down for me, I understand things much easier when it's separated and organized. Month ____ through ____ you do this. A breakdown for how to take care of it each month, when it put it back outside, etc
Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate it!
Laura1

Post by Laura1 »

Hi, I would recommend to move your christmas cactus inside before cooler (below 45°F/8°C) nights arrive and I would place it in a cooler room (garage, storage) with temperatures 45 - 55°F/8 - 12°C if you want to trigger the blooming. You should also secure at least 12 hours of complete darkness 6 to 8 weeks before you want it to bloom. Then, you can move your christmas cactus to warmer rooms (with regular room temperature) with more natural light where you can enjoy the flowers.

Have fun with your crhistmas cactus :D
I just enjoy growing my cacti. Im a hobby grower - my favorites are Opuntias and Gymnocalyciums.
christmas cactus growing