What is we?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
JuanKilo

What is we?

Post by JuanKilo »

Link takes ya to my photo album online. First three pictures are one plant, and the next three pictures are the other plant I'd really appreciate names on. Gonna enter these two in the upcoming show this weekend if I can find their identifications. That first one we've had around five years now, and it's been great watching it split and form that second head. The smaller one is a great bloomer for around a couple of months, usually June and July. It's been with me for about 3 years now, and has formed many of the pups for us.

Heck, feeling helpfull, browse around in there, as there are a few I don't have a positive ID on and would appreciate guidance/information.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y257/JuanKilo/?start=0

Yeah, I know my organization leaves something to be desired, and I'm considering changing websites where I store photos after seeing what some of the members here have put together. :wink:
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Ugh! Mammillarias! The toughest to ID!

That first one is a really strange bugger. It looks like a cross between M. geminispina and M. karwinskiana, but that isn't an official statement. I do believe MR. T.G. John is much better at the mamms.

Daiv
ondy

Post by ondy »

JuanKilo

I think that first one is a Mammillaria parkensonii.
It's the only Mamm that I know of that clusters like that. I haven't much of a clue on the next few other than they appear to be Mamms. I like the plant labeled 'hefty' I believe that is a Coleocephalocereus aureus, right? Also do you know what 'watzat' is?

Andy
JuanKilo

Post by JuanKilo »

Andy, bingo on the Coleo! Really nice plant we virtually stole this past spring at a small town nursery in Iowa, cost was 15$ with the pups on it. Gotta relabel that pic.

About "watzat", nope, not convinced yet on that one. I have the post bookmarked tho.

I thought M. parkinsonii had a shorter radial spine, like 1/2" or less. I'll check more web resources and check those spine lengths. The pic in 'Cacti The Illustrated Guide shows a really long radial spine that doesn't point downward as they do on mine. They're also really long in that book.
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi,
It is very difficult with the first Mammillaria as to me it is slightly monstrose, but my first thought was candida. Do you know what the flower colour is?

I will try to look at the other Mamms soon.

Cheers,
John
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Nope, spent several hours trying to ID second Mammillaria, no joy. Found nothing remotely like it. Try again when you have an open flower

John
JuanKilo

Post by JuanKilo »

Flowers on the second plant are white, 1/2" wide, with a faint reddish stripe in each petal.
JuanKilo

Post by JuanKilo »

Spent a few hours a two different local libraries that have a few books I don't, and then I went to Altman's website...and I'm convinced that large one is M. parkinsonii.

BTW, it's not monstrose, yet branches in the fashion you see in that picture. That's called dichotomous division or in language I'd speak, it branches that way with age. There are few mams that do that. It's been really interesting watching it develop.

With the name now, it's off to the show tonight it goes! :wink:
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi,
I'm familiar with dichotomous division, but that does not look like it in the photograph. But I will take your word for it, after all you have the plant in front of you.

The other Mammillaria may be decipens ssp. decipens. that's the best I can do

Best wishes
John