My small collection

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Re: My small collection

Post by WayneByerly »

Pompom wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:03 am I hope your weather treats you better than ours.
The older I have gotten, the less tolerant I am of the heat, and the range of temperatures that I find comfortable has gotten very narrow. If it gets any warmer than 75 degrees Fahrenheit then I think it is too, too hot! It was 90 degrees Fahrenheit here yesterday. If it weren't for air conditioning, I think I'd just shoot myself in the head. :D :lol:

Pompom wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:03 am If you ever encountered a reindeer farmer, don't ask how many reindeer they have. That's basically asking how much money they have :lol:
That is, unfortunately for me, a highly unlikely probability, as I am 65 years old, extremely damaged from a motorcycle accident 20 years ago, and do not/cannot travel. Which is, by the way, why I am so appreciative of photos that you post of your home country. They are things that I would otherwise not get to see.

Anyway, the same kind of thing occurs in Mongolia, only with horses instead of reindeer. If you live in Mongolia, the more horses you have, the richer you are.

When I lived in Philadelphia I ran into a musical group performing in public for change (coins donated). The name of the group was H uun-Huur-Tu. I bought one of their albums that they had for sale. The name of the album was "60 horses in my herd" . But I don't know if that meant that they were bragging because they had so many horses or because they were lamenting that they were so poor because they didn't have more horses. The music by the way was very interesting. Perhaps not something that you would want to listen to every day, but certainly something that everyone should get to listen to once at least. The genre of the music, its style, isvcalled Tuvan throat-singing.

I only know of one Finnish musical group... Amberian Dawn... are you familiar with them?

As long as I am here, posting a reply, let me tell you about something that I just read about Finland. There's kind of a contest, or maybe just a disagreement, about who has the most lakes Canada or Finland. I read a brief article at quora.com that said

According to various sources, Finland has about 180,000 lakes but they appear to count a ‘lake’ as being anything over 500 square metres; Canada does not.

Canada has over 31,000 lakes that are over three square KILOMETRES, and countless ‘ponds’ and other small bodies of water. Canada is about 10 million square kilometres, about 30 times the size of Finland (340,000 sq. km.)

Canada also has about 20% of the world’s fresh water.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

WayneByerly wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:30 am I only know of one Finnish musical group... Amberian Dawn... are you familiar with them?
I'm afraid I'm not... But are you sure you don't know bands like Hanoi Rocks, Nightwish, HIM, Children of Bodom, Stratovarius, Apocalytica? They are at least more or less rock/metal/heavy bands. You might have also heard some songs from Sunrise Avenue and the Rasmus (more popular in Europe, but maybe they tried to get through in USA too?). Darudes Sandstorm was (and still is) one of the most known singular songs at least in Europe. Nowadays an artist called Alma is a fresh name (she never got really through in Finland but is successful abroad). I'm really not familiar with artists, I just listen music :D
WayneByerly wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:30 am As long as I am here, posting a reply, let me tell you about something that I just read about Finland. There's kind of a contest, or maybe just a disagreement, about who has the most lakes Canada or Finland. I read a brief article at quora.com that said

According to various sources, Finland has about 180,000 lakes but they appear to count a ‘lake’ as being anything over 500 square metres; Canada does not.

Canada has over 31,000 lakes that are over three square KILOMETRES, and countless ‘ponds’ and other small bodies of water. Canada is about 10 million square kilometres, about 30 times the size of Finland (340,000 sq. km.)

Canada also has about 20% of the world’s fresh water.
Oh wow! I didn't know this! Thank you! Haha, I've never heard countries can argue about lakes :lol: I'd really love to visit Canada one day.
saboten

Post by saboten »

WayneByerly wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:30 am
Pompom wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:03 am If you ever encountered a reindeer farmer, don't ask how many reindeer they have. That's basically asking how much money they have :lol:
That is, unfortunately for me, a highly unlikely probability, as I am 65 years old, extremely damaged from a motorcycle accident 20 years ago, and do not/cannot travel. Which is, by the way, why I am so appreciative of photos that you post of your home country. They are things that I would otherwise not get to see.

Anyway, the same kind of thing occurs in Mongolia, only with horses instead of reindeer. If you live in Mongolia, the more horses you have, the richer you are.
Same in Somalia, but with camels! One family I know was telling me about how it's customary, upon marrying, to hand so-many camels over to the bride's family.

In our worlds, it's all about how many cacti we have :lol:
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

I know this has nothing to do with cacti, but it is, after all, Members Topics where we are allowed to talk about non cacti things. So... while I'm here, let me make a tiny note hear about friends. Although we will never have the opportunity to just "hang out", I, as your friend, can suggest a couple of songs that I think you might perhaps like. You might perhaps NOT like them also, but I would like for you to give them a try. But you should by no means feel compelled to listen to any of it.
WayneByerly wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:30 am I only know of one Finnish musical group... Amberian Dawn... are you familiar with them?
Pompom wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:00 pm I'm afraid I'm not... But are you sure you don't know bands like Hanoi Rocks, Nightwish, HIM, Children of Bodom, Stratovarius, Apocalytica? They are at least more or less rock/metal/heavy bands.

I'm rather fond of some heavy metal. Amberian Dawn being one of the groups that I very much like.

I'm familiar with:
Nightwish

I went to youtube and listened to & Didn't like :
Hanoi Rocks
I've listened to a group similar to Stratovarious, but for some reason just didn't particularly care for the one song that I listened to
Alma
The only video that I even began to look at for HIM, just immediately had satanic symbology in it, and that just completely turns me off.

I went to youtube and listened to & liked
The Rasmus: Olivia, and In the Shadows [Crow Version]
I like some techno music, so Darudes Sandstorm was ok
I very much like the combination of classical music and heavy Rock or metal music, so Apocalyptica - Not Strong Enough was pretty slick.

Pompom wrote: I'm really not familiar with artists, I just listen music :D

I don't know that you would be interested in any of this, but I'm going to give you links to a couple of songs that I like very much. My taste in music is extremely eclectic. Extremely! A good bit of what I listen to nowadays comes from what I would consider overseas. There are links to 8 songs below. I hope you find something in it that you feel worth listening to. Not only is my taste in music very eclectic, but I find it if I don't like it, I just can't bear to listen to it. So I would not want anyone to have to listen to something that they hate. If there's some part of what's below that you don't care for, turn it off! :D :D :D

But I'm always up for something new. Look up that Mongolian group Huun-Huur-Tu... and try some Mongolian throat-singing. It's some strange stuff I tell you.

This woman wrote the following song just after her business manager/boyfriend put her in the hospital after having beaten her up. My opinion is that he should have gone to prison for that, but they didn't pick me for the jury.
Alexandra Stan, Thanks For Leaving - Romania
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wsFXhMO3cqY

Charlie McMahon, Rhythm Breathing - Australia
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R_NqIvIMPZo

Chinese man, Miss Chang - France
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Oo--ymqdU

OH... MY... GOODNESS... I LOVE this womans voice... she's no longer with the group, but while she was, this was some of the most perfect music that I ever listen to period outside of classical music that is. Who doesn't love Antonio Vivaldi? Express a little patriotism, and listen to all of this song. You are from Finland after all.
Amberian Dawn, Valkyries - Finland
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B2R8_0NCW4A

I would lay on the ground and kiss this woman's feet I love her voice so much!
Amberian Dawn, Arctica
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vTpSItforgY

This song is so cute! I really like the way she enunciates her syllables extremely carefully. There's an emphasis placed on each syllable.
Dimmie Cat, Ping Pong - France
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JWP11qgX2DQ

This song typifies my love of a mix of classical Style music and rock. This group plays rock music with a full Orchestra. About 2/3 of the way through this song you can hear a voice in the background chanting servatis a periculum, servatis a maleficum... which means save us from danger, save us from evil
Evanescence, Whisper - USA
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yC1E3-3PRSQ

Monika Brodka, Libertango - Poland
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4guIR9le1HY

Monika Brodka, Excipit
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rut4rhdRq1U
PomPom wrote:
I've never heard countries can argue about lakes
People will argue over the dumbest garbage... like who has the highest percentage of blonde women between the ages of 21 and 29 South of the Equator. It's just ridiculous.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Pompom wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:00 pm But are you sure you don't know bands like Hanoi Rocks, Nightwish, HIM, Children of Bodom, Stratovarius, Apocalytica?
These bring back very fond memories of my years in high school and college. Thanks for the reminder! I remember discovering apocalyptica when i was looking for some metallica songs when i was like 14 and i couldn't stop listening to them. I had peace by apocalyptica as my ringtone for years and i took so long to answer because i didnt want it to stop :lol: I don't mind listening to any kind of music but im a die hard heavy metalhead. I barely have the time to listen to new music anymore but i'm musically old fashioned anyway. The newest song in my playlist is from 2010-2011 :lol:
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:02 pm ... mammillaria will eventually do a dichotomous split which is kind of exciting. And it will have small yellow flowers all over the crown.
The flowers of mine are mostly white with pink highlights ... a different subspecies? just FYI...
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:45 am ... I don't mind listening to any kind of music but im a die hard heavy metalhead. I barely have the time to listen to new music anymore ...
Hi Elie

these sample songs were not JUST for PomPom ... they were for anybody interested ... my taste in music is SO eclectic that I amost NEVER find anyone who likes anything that I do... I think i'd probably have a heart attack if i DID ...

oh well ... back to cacti ...
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

WayneByerly wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:04 pm I know this has nothing to do with cacti, but it is, after all, Members Topics where we are allowed to talk about non cacti things. So... while I'm here, let me make a tiny note hear about friends. Although we will never have the opportunity to just "hang out", I, as your friend, can suggest a couple of songs that I think you might perhaps like. You might perhaps NOT like them also, but I would like for you to give them a try. But you should by no means feel compelled to listen to any of it.
Pompom wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:00 pm I'm afraid I'm not... But are you sure you don't know bands like Hanoi Rocks, Nightwish, HIM, Children of Bodom, Stratovarius, Apocalytica? They are at least more or less rock/metal/heavy bands.

I'm rather fond of some heavy metal. Amberian Dawn being one of the groups that I very much like.

I'm familiar with:
Nightwish

I went to youtube and listened to & Didn't like :
Hanoi Rocks
I've listened to a group similar to Stratovarious, but for some reason just didn't particularly care for the one song that I listened to
Alma
The only video that I even began to look at for HIM, just immediately had satanic symbology in it, and that just completely turns me off.

I went to youtube and listened to & liked
The Rasmus: Olivia, and In the Shadows [Crow Version]
I like some techno music, so Darudes Sandstorm was ok
I very much like the combination of classical music and heavy Rock or metal music, so Apocalyptica - Not Strong Enough was pretty slick.

Pompom wrote: I'm really not familiar with artists, I just listen music :D

I don't know that you would be interested in any of this, but I'm going to give you links to a couple of songs that I like very much. My taste in music is extremely eclectic. Extremely! A good bit of what I listen to nowadays comes from what I would consider overseas. There are links to 8 songs below. I hope you find something in it that you feel worth listening to. Not only is my taste in music very eclectic, but I find it if I don't like it, I just can't bear to listen to it. So I would not want anyone to have to listen to something that they hate. If there's some part of what's below that you don't care for, turn it off! :D :D :D

But I'm always up for something new. Look up that Mongolian group Huun-Huur-Tu... and try some Mongolian throat-singing. It's some strange stuff I tell you.

This woman wrote the following song just after her business manager/boyfriend put her in the hospital after having beaten her up. My opinion is that he should have gone to prison for that, but they didn't pick me for the jury.
Alexandra Stan, Thanks For Leaving - Romania
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wsFXhMO3cqY

Charlie McMahon, Rhythm Breathing - Australia
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R_NqIvIMPZo

Chinese man, Miss Chang - France
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Oo--ymqdU

OH... MY... GOODNESS... I LOVE this womans voice... she's no longer with the group, but while she was, this was some of the most perfect music that I ever listened to ... PERIOD ... outside of classical music that is. Who doesn't love Antonio Vivaldi? Express a little patriotism PomPom, and listen to all of this song. You are from Finland after all.
Amberian Dawn, Valkyries - Finland
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B2R8_0NCW4A

I would lay on the ground and kiss this woman's feet I love her voice so much!
Amberian Dawn, Arctica
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vTpSItforgY

This song is so cute! I really like the way she enunciates her syllables extremely carefully. There's an emphasis placed on each syllable.
Dimmie Cat, Ping Pong - France
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JWP11qgX2DQ

This song typifies my love of a mix of classical Style music and rock. This group plays rock music with a full Orchestra. About 2/3 of the way through this song you can hear a voice in the background chanting servatis a periculum, servatis a maleficum... which means save us from danger, save us from evil
Evanescence, Whisper - USA
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yC1E3-3PRSQ

Monika Brodka, Libertango - Poland
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4guIR9le1HY

Monika Brodka, Excipit
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rut4rhdRq1U
PomPom wrote:
I've never heard countries can argue about lakes
People will argue over the dumbest garbage... like who has the highest percentage of blonde women between the ages of 21 and 29 South of the Equator. It's just ridiculous.
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

You know the feeling when you think you handle this whole cacti thing and everything goes nice and smoothly?
You know the feeling when you realize you were completely wrong?
Me too.
I can't underline it enough: I really love the way this hobby teaches me. There's hundreds of "rules" about how to grow cacti, but the rules are really just in general and reality can be different depending of countless different reasons which can be named or remain unnamed. But I have a little perfectionist living inside of me, so at the same time it kinda annoys me. I hate times I'm completely clueless and helpless.

It's definitely fall now. The trees have started to wither their leaves, the sun sets little earlier every day. I've started to extend the time between the waterings: what was once a week is now once in two weeks. What was twice a week is now once a week. In general. Small plants get water more often than the larger ones. In general. It depends on how I feel. I just want to do this overwintering "right" and don't want the plants suffer.
Some of the plants have definitely responded this well and started to slow down. Especially the aloe has slowed down, in summer I had to rotate it every day, now I need to do it every three days. Yayy... :lol: Some of the plants stopped growing after inside temperature fell under 25 C. Some are still growing, but slowly.

Then there is this bigger gymnocalycium baldianum. Which basically didn't grow much in summer. Most significant "growth" it had was increasing lesions flat spider mites made. RIP the flat spider mites, I hope.
Which just decided NOW it's definitely spring or early summer. Now it's definitely time to show signs of life. It has not only grew two complete sets of spines, one extra spine on one old aerole, three new areoles coming with their first spines, it has decided to start a flower bud. Well, what I believe is a flower bud, I've never seen this plant to flower before.
20180906_214536-1664x936.jpg
20180906_214536-1664x936.jpg (63.29 KiB) Viewed 2796 times
gymnobal.jpg
gymnobal.jpg (64.56 KiB) Viewed 2796 times
Now I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to torture the plant and let it grow without suitable conditions which include light and warmth. At the same time I don't want to influence the internal behavior of the plant too much. If it wants to grow now, should I really hold it back or should I let it be just itself. If it really wants to grow now, there's something summer didn't give it. Was it too bright continuously? Was it too hot? Was the moon tilted wrongly? Did I breathe at the wrong time?
What is interesting, actually all my gymnos are just starting to grow. The smaller ones are just newcomers so it's not that surprising for them to grow since they are likely just rooted well and are just happy with the new soil and stuff. Overall the fact is that all my gymnos are having new growth while almost all the others are slowing down. This is a really interesting to me. And confusing. At least they are alive!
7george

Post by 7george »

Hi, PomPom,
Leaves are getting yellow, night temps are much closer to 0 here too...
Overall the fact is that all my gymnos are having new growth while almost all the others are slowing down. This is a really interesting to me. And confusing. At least they are alive!
Gymnos show some late activity after the mid-summer brake. Even there was no big heat before they do that. My G. baldianum set 3 more buds recently and one did flower, others will fade most likely: there will be not enough time and sunlight to develop those into flowers. It is still outside on my deck but under plastic, low temps even stimulated it. Has some scars from mites too and even light sunburn spots.
G. baldianum - Aug. 30th
G. baldianum - Aug. 30th
IMG_1303c.JPG (111.3 KiB) Viewed 2780 times
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

7george wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:17 am Gymnos show some late activity after the mid-summer brake. Even there was no big heat before they do that. My G. baldianum set 3 more buds recently and one did flower, others will fade most likely: there will be not enough time and sunlight to develop those into flowers. It is still outside on my deck but under plastic, low temps even stimulated it. Has some scars from mites too and even light sunburn spots.
IMG_1303c.JPG
That's an interesting thing to hear! I'll just let mine do what it thinks it can do then. Thanks for sharing the photo of your plant, that's a flower I'd love to see in real life! One day it'll definitely happen.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

In response to Pompom & 7george.

I surely don't want either of you to think that I'm gloating here, when I express a degree of appreciation for the fact that I do not live anywhere near as close to the Arctic Circle as the two of you appear to live.

I'm SO glad that the weather here remains as warm as it always does this time of year. The walnuts are already falling from the trees, which is always an indicator that fall is just around the corner, but the high temperature here over the last two days has been 90F and 91F. Warm enough that I've got four plants in flower at this moment. One Pachypodium, one Gymnocalycium, one Astrophytum and one Echinopsis. The Echinopsis is only in bud at this moment, so stay tuned over the next few days to the Members Topics section, and I'll post pictures of that flower.

You see, even with all of the less-than-fortunate-occurrences that have afflicted my life this growing season (2018) there are still things that have happened to me that strangely enough seem near miraculous and cause me to smile serenely with a degree of contentment and satisfaction that I would not have believed possible.

While one of those near miraculous occurrences has been fairly significant in my opinion, the flowering of my cacti & succulents which to me is one of the most beautiful things that has ever occurred in my life, I think that the other is even more significant... the supremely gracious and sincere expressions of sympathy, commiseration, and friendship that I have received from the members here at this forum.

I really and truly do bless the day I found this forum. It has been just incredible to me to find the very large number of extravagantly polite, kind and giving people that I have found here. So I would like to take this opportunity to say Thank You, one and all, for all that you have been, and all that you are. There's just not a better group of people anywhere.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Pompom wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:38 pm Was it too hot? Was the moon tilted wrongly? Did I breathe at the wrong time?
You are just hilarious pompom :lol:
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

WayneByerly wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:54 am Warm enough that I've got four plants in flower at this moment. One Pachypodium, one Gymnocalycium, one Astrophytum and one Echinopsis. The Echinopsis is only in bud at this moment, so stay tuned over the next few days to the Members Topics section, and I'll post pictures of that flower.
Can't wait to see the flower of the echinopsis! It makes me so happy to see people having their cacti in bloom. As long as I don't get a bud formed to an actual flower, it's the only way to see flowers beside the pictures from google search. Sharing the pictures with everyone shares the happiness too.
7george

Post by 7george »

WayneByerly wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:54 am I surely don't want either of you to think that I'm gloating here, when I express a degree of appreciation for the fact that I do not live anywhere near as close to the Arctic Circle as the two of you appear to live.
We are not at the North Pole, WayneByerly! :D I also have two M. zeilmanniana still blooming since March, several Haworthia and Adromischus plants with buds or flowers. Also a Gymno. anisitsii that takes so long to make a full flower from this bud that I lost hope and shut it as is today.
IMG_1348rex.JPG
IMG_1348rex.JPG (76.61 KiB) Viewed 2689 times
That bud grows from the offset and the plant is probably still sick. Tried to make a "cactus-art" background using couple of plastic pads from Philadelphia cheese packs. 8)
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8