Euphorias but what kind?

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
badooba

Euphorias but what kind?

Post by badooba »

I've been growing these two for about 10-12 years. I think I recall they are Euphorias, but what kind specifically? I can't figure out how to integrate the photos but here's the link. And I thank you very much for your help!

pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/suebarnett/detail?.dir=337d&.dnm=be19.jpg&.src=ph
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi,

Your plants are in fact Euphorbias, with a b. They are succulents, rather than cacti and many of them are similar in appearance.

From what I can see on the photographs the first one appears to be Euphorbia canariensis and the second Euphorbia grandialata. A closer shot of the branches of each plant would help to confirm or deny this.

Euphorbias have a milky white sap that is extremely poisonous so be careful handling them, particularly if you have any cuts or grazes on your hands. If any of the sap enters an open wound it will certainly make you jump about.

Cheers,

John
JuanKilo

Post by JuanKilo »

John is correct on the IDs.

Do not touch your face, especially your eyes if you get that white milky sap on your hands. It will cause blindness. Oddly enough, there is one African plant that will also cure the blindness, or stop it. I can't recall the plant's name at the moment but I will find it and post the name.
ebaycactus

Post by ebaycactus »

I had a friend who had a dog that ate an Euphorbia Obesa and they had to pump the dogs stomach, and the dog was sick for a month. I've learned to always wear gloves with Euphorbias(my only plants I wear gloves with).