My Collection

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Briguytm

Re: My Collection

Post by Briguytm »

Hey everyone,

So I’ve been working really hard these last couple weeks to get everything re-potted and organized for growing season. But everything’s looking nice. :) also sorry I know I took these pictures at night but I tryed to make it as bright as possible.

The set up on the back patio so far

So interesting things happening with the plants!

The E. reichenbachii albispinus has developed 3 buds.

One of the E. subdenudata has also developed 3 furry buds. This is my first time with multiple buds on the plants :)

Also my Gymnocalycium burchii in flower.

Some new additions!!

And I just got crested panchanoi re-potted and I think it looks great.

And that’s a taste of what I’ve been up to. A lot more to comes.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

They look very good indeed!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Briguytm

Post by Briguytm »

A couple of blooms to share!

echinocereus reichenbachii albispinus

The second of three buds opened let’s see if we get all three soon.

And we have a Night Bloomer if that’s your thing. Peniocereus johnstonii.

Hope you guys like them!
Briguytm

Post by Briguytm »

Some new additions.

Some sort of echinocereus

Some sort of Parodia I believe.

WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

Briguytm wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:26 am Some sort of Gymnocalycium that I still haven’t IDes the species
I have one of those ... at least the one I have has the same brownish highlights on the ends of the flower petals as your first picture does. Mine is a Gymnocalycium mihanovichi. Will turn a nice red/green color in the bright sun.

Here's a couple shots of mine. judge for yourself if yours is the same species as mine. I'm new at this and I've been known to be wrong once or twice. In the first pic, you can see the red/green color combo i mentioned. in the second picture, it's been in the bright sun for another year!!

You can see the brown highlights on the petals in both pics, although they are more apparent in the first.
024.04 2015-06-06.JPG
024.04 2015-06-06.JPG (93.79 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
024.08 2016-10-19.jpg
024.08 2016-10-19.jpg (104.3 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
Last edited by WayneByerly on Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

Briguytm wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:39 pm Some sort of Parodia I believe.
I JUST got one of those day before yesterday ... at least they LOOK VERY similar ... mine is a Parodia werneri ... or at least that is what the label says. I haven't done any research on it yet.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

The Gymnocalycium is G.horstii or its sub species buenekeri.
Yah ... I concur with the G. horstii ID ... i've got one, and THAT is the name that I ordered it under.
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Briguytm,
among a lot of other cacti I too do have the "Queen of the Night" (Peniocereus greggii). In addition to that you do have a similar looking plant (P. johnstonii). Does that plant also have fragrant flowers?
Another of your plant looks familiar too. It is the Peniocereus tepalcatepecanus. That plant reminds me of the P. maculatus in my collection.
For someone who has only been growing cacti for a short time, you have already established quite a good selection of healthy looking plants. :)

Harald
Briguytm

Post by Briguytm »

WayneByerly wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:26 am
Briguytm wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:26 am Some sort of Gymnocalycium that I still haven’t IDes the species
I have one of those ... at least the one I have has the same brownish highlights on the ends of the flower petals as your first picture does. Mine is a Gymnocalycium mihanovichi. Will turn a nice red/green color in the bright sun.

Here's a couple shots of mine. judge for yourself if yours is the same species as mine. I'm new at this and I've been known to be wrong once or twice. In the first pic, you can see the red/green color combo i mentioned. in the second picture, it's been in the bright sun for another year!!

You can see the brown highlights on the petals in both pics, although they are more apparent in the first.

024.04 2015-06-06.JPG

024.08 2016-10-19.jpg
Thanks for the info! :)
Briguytm

Post by Briguytm »

hegar wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:26 am Hello Briguytm,
among a lot of other cacti I too do have the "Queen of the Night" (Peniocereus greggii). In addition to that you do have a similar looking plant (P. johnstonii). Does that plant also have fragrant flowers?
Another of your plant looks familiar too. It is the Peniocereus tepalcatepecanus. That plant reminds me of the P. maculatus in my collection.
For someone who has only been growing cacti for a short time, you have already established quite a good selection of healthy looking plants. :)

Harald
Yes the plants and flowers of greggii and johnstonii look similar. And johnstonii does have a very fragrant flower. :) And Yeah a lot of the Pineocerues have that spotted almost cheeta like patterns on them. Maculatus, tepalcatepcanus, roseii, and fosterianus, all look very similar.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

Briguytm wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:57 pm A couple of blooms to share!
Ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh
-
Bee-yooo-tee-full

Thanks everso for sharing your plants with us...
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

Such a beautiful collection! Very nice, healthy plants, a pleasure to see!
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb
Briguytm

Post by Briguytm »

DesertSun wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:42 pm Such a beautiful collection! Very nice, healthy plants, a pleasure to see!
Thank you! :)
Briguytm

Post by Briguytm »

And the third bud opened.

And Lobivia “rose quartz” not the neatest of flowers but still a show :)

Mothers will grow anywhere. Here’s on growing out of a crack in the flagstone.

ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Beautiful flowers!
In my experience, the echinopsis subdenudata grows better and faster with a little shade
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen: