Echinomastus johnsonii

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
kuni1234567

Echinomastus johnsonii

Post by kuni1234567 »

I am growing Echinomastus johnsonii cactus outdoors in clay pots because it rains in the winter and a little in the summer. I live in Southern California near the ocean and get many days with morning dew. I will see if this works and see if the plants will flower. I grow my plants without any fertilizer and like to grow them like habitat plants.
ElieEstephane

Re: Echinomastus johnsonii

Post by ElieEstephane »

Is it safe under winter rain? I heard these are notorious for rotting out of nowhere
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I have mine in the greenhouse. No water during the winter and light watering starting in spring and regular watering the rest of the growing season. They are on the own roots.
kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

I was told that many Echinomastus johnsonii grow in areas with winter rain. I have plants that were grown in Meadview, Arizona and have some for more than one year. I want to see if they flower in the spring time and all of the plants are not grafted.
kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

I see a number of E. johnsonii have started to put out new spines and one plant has flower buds. The plants have received winter rain and it will rain to the end of March. I might plant some seeds and see if they grow.
kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

I am looking at the Meadview, AZ weather forecast and it will probably rain next week. I see that some plants are still growing and will continue to water.