Greetings from the great white north

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
opuntiaddict

Greetings from the great white north

Post by opuntiaddict »

Hi there,
My name is Noah, and as my username suggests, I have a lot of Opuntia, which is the only native species of cacti where I live in Canada.
I hope to use this forum well, get some help for my issues and hopefully help others one day, however I'm very new to cacti (as in 1 year or less) so I'd appreciate any feedback you can give to me!
I might post some images of my collection here, but at least for now I'll leave you guys with my favourite cacti species in case I ever have any questions with it - Opuntia microdasys
As the username suggests... I like fuzzy plants
ElieEstephane

Re: Greetings from the great white north

Post by ElieEstephane »

Welcome to the forum Noah! Hope we can help.
Meanwhile, be sure to add your location to your profile for better advice
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
opuntiaddict

Post by opuntiaddict »

ok, still familiarizing myself with everything :)
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Not quite as north as you, but Welcome!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
the_cheshirecat

Post by the_cheshirecat »

Hello fellow cacti addict!
Ty the cheshirecat
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Noah,
welcome to this cactus and succulent forum. Well, you would be in "hog heaven", if you were living here! :)
I am almost drowning in prickly pear cacti. I have at least 16 species of Opuntia in my front and back garden. I must admit, that some of these do produce a copious number of beautiful flowers and I also harvest edible fruit from some of them. However, these plants crowd out almost any other cactus planted near them. I do have your favorite O. microdasys with white and yellow glochids, perhaps also a plant with the reddish ones.
My favorite prickly pear cacti are the Opuntia aciculate and a brick-red flowering O. engelmannii. Also, I do have two "hairy" Opuntia plants. They are hybrids. One does have thinner hair and smaller cladodes, while the other has longer and coarser hair and larger cladodes. Neither one of these plants has ever flowered, but they are definitely interesting specimens! Having no spines or glochids also allows me to pet them. :)

Harald
opuntiaddict

Post by opuntiaddict »

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I'll try to be as active as possible!
CACTUSCANADA

Post by CACTUSCANADA »

Hello, Hello

Noah just a quick point! Opuntia isn't the only native cactus to Canada. There are actually two genera and a disputed third.
The second for sure is Escobaria vivipara also known as Coryphantha vivipara. This cactus can handle some extreme cold.
It can be found out west on Alberta/ Manitoba, might want to consider adding it to the collection : )
All the best!
:D