How to resize your photos BEFORE posting

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Re: How to resize your photos BEFORE posting

Post by WayneByerly »

You're VERY welcome ... we ALL need a little help here and there ... and THIS site is an excellent place for nice, pleasant, polite, kind, knowedgeable and helpful people ... I joined five years ago this month, and I haven't had the FIRST bad experience with ANYONE here ... I've NEVER regretted coming here, not for the first moment.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
CephaloSquad

Post by CephaloSquad »

That's awesome! I just joined earlier this week. This forum is a little slower at responding to my other posts than the other site I use, but I think that's because it's the weekend and we are all enjoying the nice weather. Regardless, from my lurking around I have seen that everyone is like you say- super nice and informative. For those traits, I will gladly wait. I need to remind myself to slow down sometimes anyway.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

there is a facility on this forum called "Private Messaging" ... feel free to send me one at any time you have a question. I've only been in the cactus collecting business for 9 years or so, so I still consider myself to be a newbie ... a FiNG ... NOT by any stretch of the imagination an expert ... but i'll be glad to try to help at any time you need ...
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
nardude

Post by nardude »

It's great to hear how to resize your image but my question is how do I add it to my post ? I clicked on insert image and all I got were characters. I thought it was like a mail item where you click attach or even paste and nothing. hmmm. Maybe I"m just dumb
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

nardude wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 2:52 am It's great to hear how to resize your image but my question is how do I add it to my post ? I clicked on insert image and all I got were characters. I thought it was like a mail item where you click attach or even paste and nothing. hmmm. Maybe I"m just dumb
Click full and editor and preview then you scroll down. There 2 tabs: options and attachments. Attachments is where you upload your photos
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
MridushiAgarwal

Post by MridushiAgarwal »

To resize an image using Preview, select its icon and open the image you want to edit in the File menu. Choose the image from its save location and then select Tools from the top menu. Adjust Size will give you all the options you need to adjust the size and shape of your chosen image.
wuness

Post by wuness »

I've tried several times to attached two images to a new post in Succulent ID. They have been resized to 1024 x 768, but an error message comes up that the files are too big. I've done this successfully 6-8 times before. What am I missing. Thanks. Dave
Charlescox

How to resize your photos BEFORE posting

Post by Charlescox »

Hi... I see that I can attach images to a post. Then I see an option in the attachment box to place the pic inline. So I put my cursor where I want it then click the place inline button and some code is pasted into place with my filename. Ive then posted the post. When looking at it on my computer I can see the images -- but maybe its just pointing at my images on my harddrive or something. I look at it on another computer and cant see anything. I dont think others can. So how to make photos work? Thanks JP
robertj093

Post by robertj093 »

I prefer using resize-image tool to simply alter the dimensions as well as image weight.
Graphic expert at online logo design service platform
bartab

Post by bartab »

cactus pic
Attachments
laui
laui
IMG_Oct52019at24634PM.jpg (231.83 KiB) Viewed 72094 times
IMG_Oct52019at24634PM.jpg
IMG_Oct52019at24634PM.jpg (231.83 KiB) Viewed 72094 times
bartab

Post by bartab »

attachment below
Attachments
Turn. pseudopectinatus
Turn. pseudopectinatus
turb (1).jpg (62.01 KiB) Viewed 71330 times
pone

Post by pone »

Does the board software have a restriction on image size alone, or on resolution as well?
7george

Post by 7george »

pone wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:58 am Does the board software have a restriction on image size alone, or on resolution as well?
Just the file size, up to 500 kb: that's all.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
pone

Post by pone »

7george wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:02 pm
pone wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:58 am Does the board software have a restriction on image size alone, or on resolution as well?
Just the file size, up to 500 kb: that's all.
That is a ridiculously small file size for photos these days. They should adjust that.

Having said that, what people need is software that lets them adjust the compression of the JPG file, without necessarily needing to lower the resolution. IrfanView has a nice "Save As Web" feature that lets you specify the size you want the output file to be, and it calculates the correct compression for that.

Here is a nice Alluadia Procera that I uploaded as an attachment at a full 1920x1080 resolution and I compressed it down to under 500 kb before uploading. UNFORTUNATELY, it looks like this forum software does further compression and size reductions of its own, even when your file is at 500 kb to start. That makes you scratch your head and wonder why they are imposing these requirements on people to submit such small files when they are going to completely alter the parameters anyway. Why not accept large files from people - attempt to reduce resolution and increase compression - and then if that fails to get under 500 kb give an error to the user?

2019-11-13 15.17.00_2.jpg
2019-11-13 15.17.00_2.jpg (97.19 KiB) Viewed 60807 times
7george

Post by 7george »

As I mentioned above one can upload photos onto other web service and post here links.
Even large photos are resized after posting.
"Free" forum web-space is being paid by someone after all.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8