Cryptocurrency miner being loaded with forum

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
mdpillet

Cryptocurrency miner being loaded with forum

Post by mdpillet »

All/Daiv,

I just noticed as of today my CPU usage goes through the roof on opening the CactiGuide forum (seems to be always, but can't guarantee this is for all members). Upon loading the page, it seems to load a script from "cdn.minescripts.info". I've installed a cryptocurrency miner blocker since, and added this host to my ad blocker, but just thought you'd want to be aware.

Michiel
ElieEstephane

Re: Cryptocurrency miner being loaded with forum

Post by ElieEstephane »

Yes this has been going on for a while. You did the best thing installing a cryptocurrency miner blocker till this get solved
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
7george

Post by 7george »

Looks like pdpillet is right: my processor also is working hard when the forum tab is just opened, even my laptop battery dies faster in this that case. And antivirus finds nothing suspicious.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

I did bring up this issue earlier on a different thread.
The move to the new server is happening tomorrow so we'll see how things go from there and deal with problems accordingly
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
mdpillet

Post by mdpillet »

ElieEstephane wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:44 pm I did bring up this issue earlier on a different thread.
The move to the new server is happening tomorrow so we'll see how things go from there and deal with problems accordingly
Apologies - didn't realize you'd already made note of it!
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

mdpillet wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:59 pm
ElieEstephane wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:44 pm I did bring up this issue earlier on a different thread.
Apologies - didn't realize you'd already made note of it!
No problem at all since i deleted the earlier post to avoid bad publicity :wink:
7george

Post by 7george »

Actually my NOD32 antivirus caught one:

Code: Select all

03/02/2018 11:46:20 AM;JavaScript scanner;file;https://cdn.minescripts.info/c/wGRp.js;JS/CoinMiner.F potentially unwanted application;blocked;
BTW, for Midori web browser (+ Linux) users: looks like this browser automatically blocks java scripts from unknown websites.
Last edited by 7george on Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

7george wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:10 pm Actually my NOD32 antivirus caught one:

Code: Select all

03/02/2018 11:46:20 AM;JavaScript scanner;file;https://cdn.minescripts.info/c/wGRp.js;JS/CoinMiner.F potentially unwanted application;blocked;
BTW, for Midori web browser users: looks like this browser automatically blocks java scripts from unknown websites.
I just talked to daiv and he said the threat is not on the new server. So when the move happens between today and tomorrow, the problem will be gone. It is the #1 priority now.
And thanks for the tip!