Echinopsis hybrids

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
jph8

Echinopsis hybrids

Post by jph8 »

I'm new to the list as of last week and this is my first 'topical' post. My interests are mainly echinopsis (including Trichocereus and Lobivia, among others), opuntias, hardy succulents, and most recently, melocactus. My collection is small for now, mainly limited by 'wintereing over' space. From mid-March until mid-November, most of my collection resides on my front porch where it receives good light exposure and fresh air circulation. Most of the collection spends the winter scrunched up inside of a south-facing glass sliding door, as our winter in central NC can have extended periods of freezing temps, especially nights.

For this post, I'll limit photos and comments to my echinopsis hybrids that have flowered over the past few years; I'll try to post pics of my hardy succulent bed in the next week or so.

Jim H.
Attachments
E. 'Barber Pole', a Paramount hybrid that I bought from Miles2Go.
E. 'Barber Pole', a Paramount hybrid that I bought from Miles2Go.
Barber Pole 1.jpg (102.7 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
Barber Pole 2.jpg
Barber Pole 2.jpg (93.76 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
E. 'Firelight',  a Schick hybrid from Huntington Gardens. It is my most reliable bloomer.
E. 'Firelight', a Schick hybrid from Huntington Gardens. It is my most reliable bloomer.
Firelight 2.jpg (104.67 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
I picked this one (Trichocereus 'Newlands Orange') up in Tuscon from B&B Cactus in 2015.
I picked this one (Trichocereus 'Newlands Orange') up in Tuscon from B&B Cactus in 2015.
Newlands Orange 1.jpg (106.2 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
Newlands Orange 2.jpg
Newlands Orange 2.jpg (58.88 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
Another reliable bloomer - E. 'Oaxaca' from Huntington Gardens.
Another reliable bloomer - E. 'Oaxaca' from Huntington Gardens.
Oaxaca 3.jpg (74.47 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
E. 'Orange Ice', a Wimborne hybrid bought from Miles2Go.
E. 'Orange Ice', a Wimborne hybrid bought from Miles2Go.
Orange ice.jpg (90.03 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
E. 'Pink Charm', a gB hybrid, from Gary Buie in Georgia, USA
E. 'Pink Charm', a gB hybrid, from Gary Buie in Georgia, USA
Pink Charm.jpg (71.25 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
T. grandiflora hybrid from our local big-box store, Lowes. I was surprised and pleased by the color of this bloom.
T. grandiflora hybrid from our local big-box store, Lowes. I was surprised and pleased by the color of this bloom.
Trichocereus grandiflorus Lowes.jpg (126.86 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
E. subdenudata also obtained from Lowes.
E. subdenudata also obtained from Lowes.
E. fuzzy navel.jpg (56.47 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
ElieEstephane

Re: Echinopsis hybrids

Post by ElieEstephane »

These are just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing these beauties with us!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

Fantastic!
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

Oh the flowers! I love them! Thanks for sharing :D
How long have you kept growing cacti?
jph8

Post by jph8 »

Pompom wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:50 am Oh the flowers! I love them! Thanks for sharing :D
Pompom - I've been growing cactus since 2013, a couple of years before I retired. I was originally inspired as a teenager by a neighbor who gave me a cutting of Opuntia microdasys. I then came across a Johnson's Cactus Garden catalog (which I still have!) and ordered a few more. These guys survived my parents care while I went to college and then got a job in Newfoundland, Canada. After about the late 80's, I lost track of what happened to that small collection. Fast forward to 2013, while cleaning out my basement, I came across the old catalog and it rekindled my interest, especially in Echinopsis, which was a Johnson specialty. So, how did you get stuck on cactus (pun intended) being up in Finland?
Jim H.
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

jph8 wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:41 pm
Pompom wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:50 am Oh the flowers! I love them! Thanks for sharing :D
Pompom - I've been growing cactus since 2013, a couple of years before I retired. I was originally inspired as a teenager by a neighbor who gave me a cutting of Opuntia microdasys. I then came across a Johnson's Cactus Garden catalog (which I still have!) and ordered a few more. These guys survived my parents care while I went to college and then got a job in Newfoundland, Canada. After about the late 80's, I lost track of what happened to that small collection. Fast forward to 2013, while cleaning out my basement, I came across the old catalog and it rekindled my interest, especially in Echinopsis, which was a Johnson specialty. So, how did you get stuck on cactus (pun intended) being up in Finland?
Jim H.
I'm not so sure. Part of the interest came from lack of hobby. I was really frustrated a year ago since I wanted a hobby, some thing to do in my freetime. Something creative and rewarding. I've been trying too many different hobbies from painting to boxing and get bored too soon. One day I remembered my grandmother had a huge collection of cacti when I was a kid. Then I started to read about them and got addicted. I wanted to learn more, wanted to try to grow them by myself. These fellas tend to live long so this hobby can't end as soon as the others. They are easy and hard at the same time. They are rational and irrational. They look scary but cool and cute. We don't have anything like succulents growing here in Finland so they are completely different from the usual flora you see here.
And here I am now, still wanting to learn more. I'm only in my twenties, so I have time to collect more. Some of my plants and future plants stay long time with me. I've finally found my kind of hobby!
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

Very beautiful flowers! :)
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

jph8 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:47 pm I'll limit photos and comments to my echinopsis hybrids that have flowered over the past few years;
Hi jph8
First, I'll welcome you to the forum. I think you'll love it here. Despite the fact that the anonymity of the Internet causes people to be pert, hatefule and just plain rude, I have not run into the first bit of even casual rudeness here. ALL of the people I have run into so far have been patient, kind, helpful, friendly and giving of their time and knowledge. This is THE BEST succulent forum there is. And, "We're GLAD you are here!!!"

Now ... all THAT being said ... how old are these Echinopsis hybrids please, and how old do they have to be before they flower? The reason I ask this is because I bought an Echinopsis oxygona, and as a "free gift" got a pair of Echinopsis hybrids, And I'm wondering how long I'll have to wait before they flower.

I''ve posted a number of topics in "Board Index/CactiGuide.com/Member Topics", all of them preceded by the text "Growth Over Time", to illustrate the growth rates of several of my cacti and other succulents. I'm going to post one on MY Echinopsis hybrids in just a moment. Go look at it and make some comments would you please? I would very much welcome some words from a grower of some phenomenally beautiful cacti!!!!!
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
jph8

Post by jph8 »

Wayne - thank you for the warm welcome; I've been enjoying and learning from the list, although with the good weather arriving, I haven't been online much lately.

Your question about plant age is a good one. I don't have a lot of personal experience with age at flowering, as I've only been raising them a few years and all of my plants come from mail order/internet sources. I assume most of the my plants were about 3 years old when I got them and all of them bloomed in their first year I had them (and since). My assumption is based on both the size of the plants and from what I've read; I seem to recollect reading that most Echinopsis varieties will bloom at about 3 +/- years, although someone with more experience could correct me on that. I should be able to answer you from direct experience in the next few years, as this is the first year that I'm rooting some of the larger pups that formed last (2017) summer.

I'll go ahead and check your post and comment.

Jim H.
PresidentKang

Post by PresidentKang »

Wow, these are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing, Jim!

I have a mystery hybrid from HD that was only marked "Echinobivia." I was really hoping it would flower this spring, but no luck so far. My plants had a dark, cold dormancy last winter. Do you know what your average winter temps are in the room/area where you store these?