Love from Michigan

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
xRed

Love from Michigan

Post by xRed »

Hi all! So excited to be here!
I currently live in Michigan (U.S.), moved here about three years ago from Belgium, where I left the cactus collection I had started as a teenager. I had a good variety of common cacti I found in stores/was gifted.
I recently started getting back into cacti (with thanks to my husband) and have a newfound interest in succulents.
He gifted me a Golden Barrel last year and I have been known to take it's offspring and give them to anyone who even mentions plants in general. He also recently bought me a Moon Cactus because he didn't know what it was but it "looked pretty" ;) and last week he bought me what appears to be a kind of Mammillaria, which is when I realized I had no idea they could grow tall and aren't just groundknobs. My technical lingo is also obviously off the charts.
I was also given a variety seed mix, I assume it's going to be quite common species as well IF they germinate.

I honestly am not currently more interested in one type over another, and I am here mostly to learn and discover. I should be treated as a newbie to cacti as I have been out of it for quite some time.
ElieEstephane

Re: Love from Michigan

Post by ElieEstephane »

Hello and welcome to the forum! You are gonna find lots of interesting info and helpful people here.
You might wanna add your location to your profile for better advice.
Bienvenue!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
gemhunter178

Re: Love from Michigan

Post by gemhunter178 »

Welcome!

Not sure if you'll find it useful but, typically a "moon cactus" is a market name for some Gymnocalycium grafted onto some sort of Hylocereus
As for seeds, they're always fun even if they are common! There's something special about being able to say you raised something from the start
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.