Growth Over Time - Agave parryii

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Growth Over Time - Agave parryii

Post by WayneByerly »

One of the members here saw a picture of my one single Agave, an Agave parryii, and made a positive comment about it. The comment was made in such a different context than the comment itself presented, that I thought he really liked the Agave. And I've done a couple of these "Growth Over Time" topics, so I thought I would do one of the Agave ... because it was deemed so attractive ... and on the off chance that some others members MIGHT like to see it, and it's growth over the last few years. I like the Agave ... It was one of my first succulent purchases ... but I'm not sure that I think it "gorgeous". But the very, VERY wicked spines and teeth DO appeal to me profoundly. I do wish it was a good bit bigger though. I'm going to fertilize this year (I didn't in 2017 when I put it in a bigger pot) and we will see what it does!

All of these pictures have been resized to 800x600 ... I wish I could show them to you at a higher resolution, for better detail, but it is what it is, so ...

I bought this as an offset, and it fit nicely in a 6" pot.
2013-07-31.jpg
2013-07-31.jpg (94.36 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
The next year, it still fit the 6" pot, but you can see that it was starting to fill it up.
2014-02-26.jpg
2014-02-26.jpg (111.72 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
In 2015, I put it in an 11.5 pot. It had just gotten too big for the 6" pot. (what an odd size, eh?)
2015-12-27.jpg
2015-12-27.jpg (82.37 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
Between 2015 and 2017, every time it put out new leaves, a matching number of leaves at the bottom of the plant died off. So it didn't make much "apparent" growth, although it WAS making SOME progress.
2016-10-05.jpg
2016-10-05.jpg (108.08 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
And then late in 2017 I put it in a 14" pot that's fairly deep. It's so big, that when it's wet, it's all I can do to move it. Granted, I'm 65 years old, and not in the best of health, but it's a hefty plant/pot now.
2017-11-11.jpg
2017-11-11.jpg (137.1 KiB) Viewed 2144 times
This is the last picture I've taken of it. I think I'll go water and fertilize it now. The weather is unseasonably warm, and I think I'll try to get a headstart on spring.
2018-02-08.JPG
2018-02-08.JPG (117.07 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
_
_
_

I hope you enjoyed ... let me know what you think. I need the feedback in order to judge whether or not to continue these "Growth Over Time" postings.
Last edited by WayneByerly on Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
ElieEstephane

Re: Growth Over Time - Agave parryii

Post by ElieEstephane »

That pot in 2018 is very beautiful! Is that brass?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:11 pm That pot in 2018 is very beautiful! Is that brass?
I wish ... no, it's a plastic (so it's very light) painted to look like oxidized brass or bronze. It's quite pretty, but it's light AND cheap. I don't think they would sell too many of them were they actually metal. And it's so heavy now that it would be absolutely unmanageable were it made of metal.

You can see in the 2018 picture (at about the 2:00 position) where I dropped a piece of iron rod (rebar) on it and broke a chunk out of it, and had to glue it back into place with some caulk to keep water in it long enough to seep down into the soil. Otherwise, it would have just ran out of the "hole" that I had broken in it.
Last edited by WayneByerly on Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

I actually thought that was welding 😂
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

Omg, I love this agave. So beautiful Wayne and fantastic growth!
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb
CoffeeAddict

Post by CoffeeAddict »

Very nice. I lost mine over the past few years. It is a very beautiful plant.
Joe

Zone 5a/5b
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

CoffeeAddict wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:46 am I lost mine over the past few years...
Did you forget where you put it? Or did it fall out of your pocket? Or what? :D :shock: :roll:
CoffeeAddict

Post by CoffeeAddict »

WayneByerly wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:44 am
CoffeeAddict wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:46 am I lost mine over the past few years...
Did you forget where you put it? Or did it fall out of your pocket? Or what? :D :shock: :roll:
Just plain neglect on my part.
Joe

Zone 5a/5b
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

CoffeeAddict wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:35 pm Just plain neglect on my part.
Oh man! That must have been some serious neglect! These things are so hardy that they can go months and months at a time without watering and still thrive.

Anyway, I'm really very sorry to hear about your loss. I know how bad I feel when one of mine dies. It's like... Well it's not quite like a death in the family, but it's severely non-trivial.
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

Very good looking plant, thanks for sharing.

If possible, get it more direct sunlight. The more the better. I can tell from it's form, it's not getting as much light as it can handle. It's certainly healthy, but it's leaves will be shorter, wider, and stand up more if you get it more direct sunlight. It's actually looking like in the 2016-2018 picture it's getting more light so maybe my advice is unneeded!

Again, I think it's healthy so don't worry if that's as much light as you can provide. If I remember, I can photograph some of my young ones that grow under trees vs the ones that grow in full AZ sun. You'll see the difference.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

Vipassana wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:21 am If possible, get it more direct sunlight. The more the better. I can tell from it's form, it's not getting as much light as it can handle.
... I think it's healthy so don't worry if that's as much light as you can provide.
It's outside in the greenhouse now. I don't know how I could get it anymore light, unless I took it out of the greenhouse (the plastic of the greenhouse does filter some of the light out), and I don't want to do that because being there keeps it out of the rain. And it rains more often here in Tennessee than an Agave parryi would really like, so I shelter it from the rain in the greenhouse.

Or maybe I could take it to Arizona where the humidity is so much less. Humidity in the atmosphere does filter out some of the sunlight.

In other words, It's getting all the sunlight that I can reasonably give it. Maybe I could supplement it like I do with the plants inside. But that seems kind of ridiculous outside doesn't it?

P.S. Thanks for the "Very good looking plant"... that was very kind of you.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

Vipassana wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:21 am If I remember, I can photograph some of my young ones that grow under trees vs the ones that grow...
Hey, that would be great! I love to see somebody else's Agaves!
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

WayneByerly wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:39 am
Vipassana wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:21 am If possible, get it more direct sunlight. The more the better. I can tell from it's form, it's not getting as much light as it can handle.
... I think it's healthy so don't worry if that's as much light as you can provide.
It's outside in the greenhouse now. I don't know how I could get it anymore light, unless I took it out of the greenhouse (the plastic of the greenhouse does filter some of the light out), and I don't want to do that because being there keeps it out of the rain. And it rains more often here in Tennessee than an Agave parryi would really like, so I shelter it from the rain in the greenhouse.

Or maybe I could take it to Arizona where the humidity is so much less. Humidity in the atmosphere does filter out some of the sunlight.

In other words, It's getting all the sunlight that I can reasonably give it. Maybe I could supplement it like I do with the plants inside. But that seems kind of ridiculous outside doesn't it?

P.S. Thanks for the "Very good looking plant"... that was very kind of you.
I hope I didn't offend. I really do appreciate you sharing. I'm always impressed with growers who can maintain a plant so we'll outside it's natural habitat; it's the mark of a good grower.

Given your location and the constraints you have (avoiding the rain is a bit one) the plant is doing quite well.

I'll try to get some pictures today and post them up.

Meanwhile, I have a few different species of Agaves I wouldn't mind mailing out to you if you were interested in trying your head at a few other species. Message me if you're interested.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

Vipassana wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:21 pm I hope I didn't offend. I really do appreciate you sharing.
No, no, no... no offense taken at all. I very much appreciate the input.

Temperatures here have been unseasonably warm... so I've repopulated the greenhouse with non-cold-tolerant species that I had brought inside in order to avoid sub 20F temperatures, and gave everything in the greenhouse a 1/2 cup to 2qt drink, depending on the size of the pot. First water anything in the greenhouse has gotten since November. Ever so slightly more than 4 months.

Temperatures here will be going back down below freezing in the next couple of days, but I've got a thermostatically controlled heater in the greenhouse to keep temperatures above 40. I think I'll go out and raise that to 45F just to be safe.

The Agave had been repotted last fall, and is now SO heavy I can barely move it. So there's no way to move it out into thr direct sun and then back into the greenhouse before it rains. The best I can do is move it into the brightest spot in the greenhouse.

I'll keep an eye out for your pix. I'm anxiously awaiting their arrival!
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

Vipassana wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:21 am If possible, get it more direct sunlight ... it's leaves will be shorter, wider, and stand up more if you get it more direct sunlight.
I meant to reply to this earlier, but I'm not finding the post that I desired to make. So maybe I fell asleep while composing and never got around to submit it.

What I intended to say was that the pictures from 2015 to 2017 were taken in the colder months of the year, and therefore the Sun did not last as long during the day as it does during the summer months. The picture below was taken in Spring of 2018 and therefore the sun has been steadily increasing in duration and intensity. So you can see that the leaves of this Agave are standing up a little more then they did in the aforementioned pictures.
20180510_084534-1024x768.jpg
20180510_084534-1024x768.jpg (105.78 KiB) Viewed 1864 times