Has Anyone Ever Grafted A Carnegia ? (Saguaro)

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
CACTUSCANADA

Has Anyone Ever Grafted A Carnegia ? (Saguaro)

Post by CACTUSCANADA »

Wondering if this is possible at all? To either another columnar cactus or Pereskiopsis.

I remember reading somewhere that this cactus cannot be propagated from cuttings, this also struck me as strange.

Do anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,

CC
:D
ElieEstephane

Re: Has Anyone Ever Grafted A Carnegia ? (Saguaro)

Post by ElieEstephane »

Hello
I read somewhere that it does not graft but you shouldn't be put off by that. Do your own experiment. Since cuttings don't root, graft it to a permanent stock like opuntia.
I read somewhere that pachycereus pringlei cuttings don't root too. I was repotting one of mine and it turned out that it was a cutting. So anything is possible
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
CACTUSCANADA

Post by CACTUSCANADA »

I agree. I will try myself. There is sometimes so much misinformation out there.
I will set the record straight, provide some insight, and hopefully motivate some others....Or I'll just decapitate a bunch of saguaro seedlings for no reason. Either way FUN!!
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Please keep us updated!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

In theory any cactus should graft on any other cactus, but Cerei usually grow more rapidly than globular cacti so are the ones usually used as grafting stocks rather than scions, unless you want to increase the growth of seedling Carnegia's and then degraft?
CACTUSCANADA

Post by CACTUSCANADA »

I have never seen or heard of anyone using Caregia as grafting stock - interesting....
My limited experience has been, though they may grow marginally faster than globular cacti they are still remarkably slow in contrast to columnars like Myrtillo or Tricho.
Plan is to try a few grafts with pereskiopsis, then eventually repeat the process onto a columnar.
Living in the U.K I'm sure you can sympathize with how much longer these things take.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

The fastest way to push on scions is "high or tall grafting" where you graft the scion on the top of a 4ft-6ft Cerei. The extra length of photosynthesizing tissue below the stock and a well established root system pushes the scion on much faster than the usual 2-3 inch stocks.

One Botanical Garden grafted a Pseudolobivia (Echinopsis) on a 6ft stock and had a clump 18 inches in diameter within a few years. I also saw a slide show of a collection on the Continent where a lady grafted all her Sulcorebutia's on top of 3ft-4ft stocks and they were clumps almost as big as dinner plates, but of course totally out of character for which are really small growing species. However a Carnegia is unlikely to grow out of character on a tall stock.
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

i've seen a Carnegiea gigantea graft in a facebook group a few weeks ago, so it shouldn't be too difficult. was grafted on a Trichocereus grandiflorus.
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing