Spring has sprung - re-populating my greenhouse

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Re: Spring has sprung - re-populating my greenhouse

Post by WayneByerly »

Pompom wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:32 pm ... . It feels kinda embarrassing to have nothing else to say. I'm not so familiar with cacti yet and like many others here...
:D {big grin} not to worry Pompom... We are all new at one point or another. I even consider myself to be new in this area. There are so many cacti to become familiar with that I think it a very difficult task. Please be assured ... we are all glad you are here. Everyone has something to contribute. I have very much enjoyed looking at the posts that you have made of your plants.

Pompom wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:32 pm I have very poor memory which what I have to be ashamed like everyday. Telling people same things again and again... Forgetting things like did I eat today or not. Please this time, could you forgive my ignorance?
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha ... I know EXACTLY what you mean. In my accident, the first thing that hit the ground was the back of my head and now I have really terrible problems with memory. I have the hardest time remembering some words at times. And now I'm 65 years old and the memory problems are even worse because of that. Please don't feel like an apology is required. Nothing I said was a complaint. Just reminding you that I posted that picture. Please don't have the slightest concern

Pompom wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:32 pm Do you have any suggestions how to identify them when younger?
Other than the picture of my Cactus when it was small that I posted earlier, no. I really have no other suggestions. But Elie has made a post here on this very subject that is very good, with some excellent pictures of the toothpick cactus when they are small. I don't know whether or not you have noticed this yet but Ellie is a very, very great source of information... He knows so much... and is extremely kind in spending his time spreading that information around.

Pompom wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:32 pm I'm sorry to hear that, that's way too sad ... The property looks like relaxing place to live...
I only posted that info as an explanation about how i got here. You made a positive statement about the property and I just wanted to say "oh, it's not really mine". But I thank you kindly for your expression of sympathy. And yes, it is a very relaxing place to live. In this forum, off of the main page, in Member Topics, I made a post named "Growth Over Time - Wisteria"... see that post, and you'll really see what it's like to have a relaxing place to live. Hanging the hammock under the wisteria... What a nice way to spend an afternoon.

Pompom wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:32 pm Thanks for pointing out different view of things for me.
Oh, it's not like I was pointing out some great piece of wisdom like I was a scholar on the subject. I was just sharing a little bit of a different View. I don't pretend to be some great source of wisdom.

Pompom wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:32 pm Thank you, Kiitos (pronounced like saying KEY and TOSS with shortened S in english) Now you can say it in Finnish too :D
Oh EXCELLENT!! Thank you, thank you so much for the language lesson. Those small words, Thank you, Kiitos, are the simplest way to promote Goodwill between people. And now I have another way to say it. I love knowing how to say it in other languages... Thank you again, very much.

But I have allowed myself to stray very far off of the topic of this subject, which was the flowers in my Greenhouse. I don't have anything else to post today on that subject, but stay tuned, come back again sometime and I'll have further posts on the pictures that my cacti have sprouted.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:48 pm Not to impose but maybe i can help. Here are my young ones to help you identify.
Hello Elie
Don't apologize... You are never an imposition. You are in fact one of the greatest sources of information here on this forum that I could even hope to find. And inserting the pictures of this Cactus are extremely welcome at this point as I had no other way to identify toothpick cacti for Pompom. And I myself was personally very glad to see these pictures as some of them look so very different from mine. So no apologies are necessary, I'm glad you made this post. Thank you very much for helping us out with information on younger toothpick cacti. It is very welcome. Thank you... Bolshoi spaceba... Kiitos...
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:48 pm Here are my young ones to help you identify ... Over winter they grew much agressive spines ... New spines are yellow to orange turning black then grey with age.
I've no idea why this should be like this, but I really love the color of new growth in spines. For some reason, I want to pick one up and bite it. I know that's ridiculous, but there it is.
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

WayneByerly wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:51 am I've no idea why this should be like this, but I really love the color of new growth in spines. For some reason, I want to pick one up and bite it. I know that's ridiculous, but there it is.
That's exactly what I was thinking with my melocactus! The new spines look so delicious! :lol: :lol: :lol: Overall they start from being deeply brown turning lighter in color and then white. Some of the spines have striped color too. The spines therefore remind me of coffee or coffee budding or chocolate cake etc. You're not the only weird one here :D Now I really need the toothpick cactus. Need more delicious looking cacti in my collection!!