rain rain rain in so cal.

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
maurozzz

rain rain rain in so cal.

Post by maurozzz »

Hi all!

Quick question, I live in Long Beach, CA (roughly less than 20 miles from LA). I just started with my cacti adventure mid last year and I just redid my back yard a few months ago and added a lot of different cacti (well spaced from each other). I have Cereus Repandus, Peruvianus, P. pachycaldus, pachycereus marginatus, P. pringlei, some cleistocactus, san pedro , oreocactus etc etc most in the ground, some in pots. We're expecting ALOT of rain (rare for LA). Just worried, anything I should look out for? Do? Or just let nature do its thing. lol..

Thanks!!
esp_imaging

Re: rain rain rain in so cal.

Post by esp_imaging »

I'm surprised no one more local to you has replied yet.

Personally, I'd not worry about the species you list. I'd be happy with these outside in the UK over summer without much or any rain protection, so I can't imagine a wet day or 2 in LA will do anything other than encourage them to grow. Usual caveats apply - that they are healthy, well established (with good, undamaged roots) and have excellent drainage. FWIW, Oreocereus celsianus, Trichocerei and Cleistocactus strausii in particular seem to love lots of UK rain and fairly cool summers.

If course, if you are out of your comfort zone, you have nothing to lose if you cover them up, partially or fully, or bring them inside.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

I don't have much to add (since esp basocally covered it all) except that cereus peruvianus and pachycereus marginatus grow will in the ground here in Lebanon and our winters are very very wet. I've seen some massive pachycereus pirnglei uncovered in nurseries and since i assume they will not bother to move such massive cacti, they will take the winter rain.
However, it's now spring and rain is an added bonus IMO in weather. And of course, drainage is a must
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
maurozzz

Post by maurozzz »

Thank you all!!

Much appreciated!!