Cortaderia selloana - Pampas grass

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Cortaderia selloana - Pampas grass

Post by WayneByerly »

About 10 years ago, I planted a half dozen or so specimens of Cortaderia selloana (pampas grass) between my Father/Mothers house and the trailer they put on their property to help me out after my accident. Mostly as a screen between our two abodes. Wikipedia describes this species as being 2-3 feet tall ... mine regularly grow to more than six feet, and their stalks of "Flowers" frequently reach 9 feet.

But I had one down on the end that sat in the shadow of a black walnut tree that was not doing especially well. So last year winter (2016/2017) I burnt it down. Oddly enough, it came back in the spring of 2017. With a truly respectable show of growth. It seems as though burning it down provided it with a fit of "fertilizer" that it needed.

So this year, I'm decided to burn the one closest to the greenhouse as it was providing a substantial amount of shade TO the greenhouse. I'm going to be busy, keeping it from coming back, cropping it close to the ground everytime I notice a new shoot. Here's the greenhouse & pampass grass AFTER I cut it, but BEFORE I burned it.
1.jpg
1.jpg (155.49 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
But then I thought "Hey, if the last one I burnt down had its growth stimulated SO well as it did, I might as well finish the job and burn the rest of them.
2.jpg
2.jpg (120.3 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
I'll let you know how they are doing, later in the summer if you are interested. I know this has nothing to do with cacti OR succulents, but several people have made comments to me about my "yard" and I thought I might try to provide some of some TINY interest for them.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a