My flowering Cacti 2018

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
hegar

Re: My flowering Cacti 2018

Post by hegar »

I did not expect any more flowering cacti, but I was mistaken. A small Turbinicarpus schmiedickeanus ssp. dickisoniae, purchased recently and potted only 14 days ago, surprised me with flowers this weekend. I only hope, that this plant - like the others I had ordered from Miles-2-go - will still be with me for a long time to come.
Their "reception" here was not what I had expected and planned for. Right after I put these tiny cacti into individual pots and place them outside in a semi-shaded position, it rained all day long. That was immediately followed by almost four days of unusually low temperatures, with no sunshine and the temperature ranging from the upper 30's and low 40's at night to highs of upper 40's and mid 50's. Even now the weather is quite capricious, and the temperatures have not yet reached a normal range. However, it is now going into the 60 degree F range during the day and only a chance of rain.
So, there may still be some hope for my new cacti.

Harald
T_schmiedickeanus ssp dickisoniae3.JPG
T_schmiedickeanus ssp dickisoniae3.JPG (78.68 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
hegar

Re: My flowering Cacti 2018

Post by hegar »

This is most likely the final image of a flowering cactus for me this year. This plant, an Ariocarpus retusus ssp. confusus developed a flower bud out of the blue, which I spotted, because it had grown fat and developed a small pink spot at its apex. That was on November 25th. On November 11th and 12th we did experience an unexpected and severe cold spell, with the night temperatures dropping below the mid 20s. (- 5 degrees C) one night.
I thought, that was definitely the end of any of my cacti to try to bloom. :) Well, I guess I was wrong!
I do not know, if the frost did nip the bud or if my daughter did not get out of the house in time to see a fully opened flower. Today I checked on the plant and the blossom never opened. That was exactly one week after I saw the pink tip of the flower bud.
I shall go out tomorrow once more to check the plant. However, I fear, that I may end up not having a good photo to show for it.
Here are two images. The first one from one week ago and the second one taken shortly after noon today.

Harald
A_retus_conf 11-25-18.JPG
A_retus_conf 11-25-18.JPG (87.04 KiB) Viewed 2588 times
A_retus_conf 12-01-18.JPG
A_retus_conf 12-01-18.JPG (46.23 KiB) Viewed 2588 times