could someone explain whats going on here?

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
maurozzz

could someone explain whats going on here?

Post by maurozzz »

I have this cereus Peruvianus that’s planted in the ground and doing quite well. It has developed several offsets. I have a question, one of the offsets grew out and then split. Today while looking at it from the top I’m not sure what’s going on here. Is it cresting?

Thank you!!
Attachments
1311B497-9DE9-4A7D-80DC-491B3FBB6EA8.jpeg
1311B497-9DE9-4A7D-80DC-491B3FBB6EA8.jpeg (49.95 KiB) Viewed 2758 times
07AD78B8-B0CD-417B-B9F5-82610B31FC79.jpeg
07AD78B8-B0CD-417B-B9F5-82610B31FC79.jpeg (56.79 KiB) Viewed 2758 times
ElieEstephane

Re: could someone explain whats going on here?

Post by ElieEstephane »

I could have sworn i saw this topic this morning and forgot to reply :-k
Anyway, it looks like the growing point was damaged at some point and the cactus continued with half the ribs. It looks like it's trying to regrow those ribs now. How will it regrow them? It's still a little early to tell. It could grow back normally or monstrose or crest. From the way it's starting now i think monstrose but it needs to grow things further to clear things up
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
maurozzz

Re: could someone explain whats going on here?

Post by maurozzz »

ElieEstephane wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:55 pm I could have sworn i saw this topic this morning and forgot to reply :-k
Anway, it looks like the growing point was damaged at some point and the cactus continued with half the ribs. It looks like it's trying to regrow those ribs now. How will it regrow them? It's still a little early to tell. It could grow back normally or monstrose or crest. From the way it's starting now i think monstrose but it needs to grow things further to clear things up
Thank you Elie!

Yeah I had it under the "general" section and deleted it and put it here as I think its the more appropriate section. Thank you for your response! The offset grew out quite well and quick then at one point it split, didn't think much of it then I noticed it still growing but crowding up a bit. Now that I look at it more It looks like its becoming more of a monstrose. Will be very interesting to see the outcome.

Thanks!!