A beginner's guide to repotting newly-purchased cacti

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

A beginner's guide to repotting newly-purchased cacti

Post by WayneByerly »

Apologetic note: In the creation of this "Beginners Guide", I photographed my own "newly purchased" cacti. So the cactus in the pictures below will appear amongst these photographs on a kind of a random basis, depending on which picture was best for the topic at the time or maybe even just the one that was in best focus at the time. Please forgive the fact that this is not a professionally produced instruction manual.

I went to Lowe's to pick up a couple of inexpensive plastic pots for cacti that needed a new pot, as they were rootbound. And wound up coming home with 9 cacti in addition to the pots. As I examined these cacti, I noticed that the grower had used peat as a growing medium, and the root balls of the tiny root bound cacti were just as hard as stone. They actually felt like a a baseball they were so hard.

Not wanting for my new cacti to continue their existence in this extremely hard dried peat, as peat is difficult to re-wet once dried, I decided to try and use water to soften the root balls. So I stuck the new cacti in their new pots and watered them. This did a couple of things... 1) It wet them so that the root ball might soften up some, and 2) gave them their first drink of spring.

Two days later I decided they had softened enough, so I de-potted them yet once again and began to rinse the root balls in a neutral temperature water stream, catching the detritus in a kitchen strainer. I did this in my kitchen sink without hesitation as my source of water is a well. It's not city tap water.

Despite having been wet and softening for two days, it was still quite difficult to rinse the peat from the root balls. And quite time-consuming also, as I wanted to spare the roots as much trauma as possible by being as gentle as i could. Unless the damage you do to your roots is severe, they will regenerate, and quite handily. But I prefer to avoid as much damage to the roots, which provide water and nutrients to the cactus, as is possible. But despite my care, some breakage was inevitable, and on one of the cacti, I actually used a sharp knife and sliced the last eighth of an inch from the end of the very thick-with-roots root ball in order to gain access to the peat underneath it.

As you can see from the photo of what was left below, I managed to do this "peat removal" without breaking off too many roots.
A) .jpg
A) .jpg (135.98 KiB) Viewed 31669 times
You can see from the next two pictures that I had mixed results in rinsing the peat from the root balls of my cacti. Some had very thick roots that were not so extensive as some of the others, and some had very fine roots that literally invaded the peat and held onto it so tightly that it was nearly impossible to rinse more than a small percentage of the peat from the root balls.
B1) .jpg
B1) .jpg (115.9 KiB) Viewed 31669 times
B2).jpg
B2).jpg (111.21 KiB) Viewed 31669 times
I laid the cacti on a thick layer of paper towels and allowed them to dry all that day and all of the following night. The place where I live has central heat and air and so the air here is very dry as the A/C runs nearly constantly. So by the time I got to them this morning, the roots were already very dry. But take note here that I am careful that the roots were dry before I proceeded any further.

So now it's time to repot. For this batch of repotting I'm using somewhere between 10% and 20% potting soil depending on which measurement you use, weight or volume or number of scoops. Anyway, it was a scant percentage of organic material. Of the remaining percentage of the mix, i used equal amounts of pumice, and turface.

A great many arguments can be made on all sides of a discussion regarding the construction of a potting medium. Many cacti will not only grow, but will thrive in a wide variety of growing media. But one thing I'm afraid I'll have to insist is true. That cacti do not like to have their feet wet for long periods of time. The soil that they live in must be quick draining, and while it needs to retain some degree of moisture, must not retain it for too long. The longer I grow cacti, the more I am convinced that a high percentage of inorganic material is just absolutely necessary. Please note that I labeled this topic as "A beginner's guide" as that is certainly what I am, and what this topic is directed toward. Also note that while I insist on this being true, it is a general rule, and that your cacti may well indeed have very specific requirements regarding this particular facet of its environment, and that it is strictly up to you to do the research necessary to discover whether or not your specific cactus has specific requirements that supersede this general rule.

First I select some of the larger pieces of the pumice, as a bottom layer in the pot for use as an aid to drainage. A very thin layer, just to insure the drain holes remain unclogged.
C1) .jpg
C1) .jpg (80.02 KiB) Viewed 31669 times
Some pots have large drainage holes, or a large number of drainage holes and so I like to use screen in the bottom of my pots to keep the soil from washing out the bottom every time I water. Care must be exerted here to ensure that the screen does not clog from salt deposits that will form from bottom watering or that the screen does not clog from very small particles in the soil. In both cases, this will raise the water level in the pot closer to the roots which in all cases is to be avoided with all due diligence!
C2) .jpg
C2) .jpg (82.43 KiB) Viewed 31669 times
And then put my layer of pumice in the bottom of the pot. ElieEstephane, moderator, and one of the more knowledgeable members here reminds me that this drainage layer should not be applied if the growing media that you use is less gritty then what I have chosen as it has a tendency to raise the water level closer to the roots. And as we all know, this is to be assiduously avoided.
D) .jpg
D) .jpg (135.18 KiB) Viewed 31669 times
I then pick the cactus up, and turning it over spread the roots out as far as possible.
E) .jpg
E) .jpg (132.28 KiB) Viewed 31669 times
Hold the cactus high up off the bottom of the pot so that the cactus is not resting on the bottom, and using the utensil of your choice fill the pot up right to the very Brim using your selected potting medium.
F) .jpg
F) .jpg (119.33 KiB) Viewed 31669 times
I have never been able to repot a plant without making a big mess. But as an aid in keeping my mess as limited as possible, I try and fill my pots while they are sitting in the bowl of potting media, and fill it completely to the brim.
G) .jpg
G) .jpg (144.43 KiB) Viewed 31669 times
Using some non-sharp item (to avoid damaging the roots), like a dowel or a chopstick... I use a stainless steel chopstick... poke your Implement of choice down into the soil as far as it will go with a gentle inserting motion. Do this continually around the edge of the pot until you can no longer insert your implement any further than a quarter of an inch. This will have removed air pockets from your potting medium. You will at this point note that the level of the soil has dropped a quarter of an inch or so completely around the edges of the pot, leaving you some room to water your cactus.
H) .jpg
H) .jpg (103.54 KiB) Viewed 31669 times
Some people like to use top-dressing in their pots. And in other cases, some cacti like to keep their root neck up away from the wet soil by the addition of a little grit. In either case the addition of some material is at this point called for. Remove a little bit of soil, just enough for your top dressing or grit and a little room for adding water, and then insert enough of your selected material to support the cactus all the way around.

In this case, I found the root neck of the cactus was quite soft, and so suspecting that it might be susceptible to rot, I have elected to use very small pieces of both black and red volcanic rock to isolate the root neck from the soil, keeping it dry. While volcanic rock is extremely light and very airy, thus not blocking airflow, the black and red combination was made for aesthetic purposes.
I) .jpg
I) .jpg (105.24 KiB) Viewed 31669 times
And now that the repotting job is done I'm going to set these in a bright window, NOT direct sun, and I'm going to wait a full 7 days before I water them, in order to not encourage any pathogen from introducing itself through roots that might have been damaged during repotting. A FULL week to heal before watering after repotting.
Last edited by WayneByerly on Fri May 18, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
keith

Re: A beginner's guide to repotting newly-purchased cacti

Post by keith »

looks good but watch out for screen at the bottom of the pots for tuberous rooted cactus. They grow the roots into the screen and when you transplant them and try and get the roots out of the screen the roots can break like carrots. None of the ones you show are tuberous rooted :D
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

keith wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:53 pm They grow the roots into the screen and when you transplant them and try and get the roots out of the screen the roots can break like carrots.
They quite frequently grow through the screen, and you almost always have to break a root or two when repotting. Sometimes you can cut the screen and free the root, but it almost always results in some minor damage at repot time. But that is a couple of years away and the roots will grow back. This is also true of commercially acquired Garden Mesh Drain, whose only difference is that the holes are bigger, thus allowing more roots to grow through it. It's a give-and-take situation. Gain some and lose some.

The only REAL problem is if there is a lot of small particular matter in the soil ... It clogs the screen. The only solution is to replace it with commercial gardeners mesh netting
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Very good topic wayne! I will make it sticky and keep it in reference for new members.
I have a couple of general notes:
1. Do not be afraid to lose roots. The cactus will regenerate them easily so it's okay to be left with a taproot and just a few other small roots. However, do not go the extreme and cut all roots as sometimes the cactus will not regenerate.
These two don't apply to this case since wayne is using a very open and gritty mix
2. If your mix is less gritty, do not add a drainage layer since it's not necessary and will actually raise the water table towards the roots and that could spell trouble. Simply pour your mix in the pot. Some mix will fall through the holes but it will eventually settle out.
Personally, i don't like to put a screen at the bottom of the pot because i have problems with salt deposits which will eventually completely clog the screen. If you use soft or rainwater, go ahead and put one.
3. The top dressing can hinder water evaporation. If you live in a hot dry environment, this can be a good thing. But if you live in a humid or less sunny environment, the top dressing can eventually cause rot or fungi. Notice how wayne is using a very open top dressing that does not interfere with evaporation.
On the topic of top dressing, even though fine sand might look good, it's very bad. It will retain too much water in the shade and get extremely hot in the sun.
4. Not sure if wayne mentionned it or not, but do not water for a week or more after you have repotted or you risk introducing pathogens through the broken roots. I usually let the roots air dry but recently i'm in the habit of spraying the roots with hydrogen peroxide before drying them. It could kill off some pathogens and it wouldn't hurt
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
sparkman123

Post by sparkman123 »

So I've been reading that I should repot cacti once every 2-3 years, even if they haven't outgrown the pot in part due to salt/calcium buildup from hard tap water. In such a scenario should I remove/wash the roots in this method shown here? Would that put undue stress on the plant, particularly a larger/older one?
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

sparkman123 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:19 pm So I've been reading that I should repot cacti once every 2-3 years, even if they haven't outgrown the pot in part due to salt/calcium buildup from hard tap water. In such a scenario should I remove/wash the roots in this method shown here? Would that put undue stress on the plant, particularly a larger/older one?
If you could leave it out in the rain several times it will flush it out well or give it a few flushes with acidified distilled water. However, repotting is more favorable. Remove the plant from the pot, wash the old soil away by this method or any method you prefer, let it dry a few days and repot it. Hold off watering for a week. Very old plants may not recover roots so please clarify what you mean by larger/older
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
sparkman123

Post by sparkman123 »

ElieEstephane wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:28 pm Very old plants may not recover roots so please clarify what you mean by larger/older
A ~27 year old Easter Lilly and a ~20 year old Mammillaria.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

sparkman123 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:52 pm
ElieEstephane wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:28 pm Very old plants may not recover roots so please clarify what you mean by larger/older
I wouldn't repot those
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

Thank you for sharing! Definitely deserved to become a sticky, useful info plus images.
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

ElieEstephane wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 5:54 am
I wouldn't repot those
I wouldn't say that - if they're still growing they may need a larger pot, and some cacti remain vigorous for a very long time. I wouldn't disturb them unless they're getting root bound, just make sure you leach out the accumulated salts.

I just moved my ~30-year-old Echinopsis ancistrophora into a larger pot, it had roots coming out the drain holes. It may be old, but it shows no signs of slowing down. :D
Spence :mrgreen:
CephaloSquad

Post by CephaloSquad »

I wouldn't repot those
Just curious- why is it better to not repot older cacti? Is it to prevent the root damage that they can't recover from? Or is it more of a size/weight issue? Some large cacti look like they'd be a huge pain to repot!
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

CephaloSquad wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:41 am

I wouldn't repot those
Just curious- why is it better to not repot older cacti? Is it to prevent the root damage that they can't recover from? Or is it more of a size/weight issue? Some large cacti look like they'd be a huge pain to repot!
First i wanna say I don't have any first hand experience with anything very old but a fellow expert grower cautioned me against it. He has been growing cacti since the 1950s and used to have a very big cactus only nursery till he died. He said (from experience) some cacti species do not like to be disturbed when they get old. Their "immune system" is not as a good and they can very easily succumb to letahl fungal infections. In addition, he said some species hit a growth plateau where they can't grow further. Sometimes, messing with the roots does not lead to regeneration and leads to eventual death.
Some people tend to disagree with this but i trust the guy as he used to know his stuff. Most of what i know comes from him.
CephaloSquad

Post by CephaloSquad »

That's fair! a person's first hand experience is great to learn from. Thanks, that was informative.
Sun_Love

Post by Sun_Love »

I bought some new ones today, 3 cacti and 2 succulents. Should I repot them straight away or give them a few days to adjust to the climate in my home? I don't wanna stress them out (if that can even happen?)
A1essandro

Post by A1essandro »

Sun_Love wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:15 pm I bought some new ones today, 3 cacti and 2 succulents. Should I repot them straight away or give them a few days to adjust to the climate in my home? I don't wanna stress them out (if that can even happen?)
Most of my cacti I repotted straight away after purchasing. It is OK I think.
Best regards,
Alexander