Cyphostemma juttae root problem

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
cacti and cacti not

Cyphostemma juttae root problem

Post by cacti and cacti not »

Today I found out that my C. juttae has root issues. Its roots do not appear to be growing, and they are very brittle and fall apart easily (I wonder if many of them are dead). What could be wrong, and how can I save this plant? It is in a clay pot and its soil is mostly pumice. Could this be due to overwatering or something else? My plant has young buds, but they have been growing little.
cacti and cacti not

Re: Cyphostemma juttae root problem

Post by cacti and cacti not »

This fall, I got a small C. juttae (this is before I got my current, bigger one). It has no leaves and I don't know if I can save it. It's currently in the ground as a half-hearted attempt to get it to root. It experienced this same issue, but it appears to be more far gone. It is a seedling and it was dormant when I bought it.
kuni1234567

Re: Cyphostemma juttae root problem

Post by kuni1234567 »

I have found that C. juttae both large and small grow leaves and then roots. The plants remain dormant and there is no sign of life. The plant starts to form leaves and roots grow until the end of warm weather. The large plant has many fruits and leaves. The leaves will start to fall off when the weather cools off. I plant the red fruits every year and had only one group crop of seedlings (25 plants out of 150 seeds). I was told that C. juttae is part of the grape family and germination is very difficult.