What species can hybridize with G. Mihanovichii?

Create seed of your own
keithp2012

What species can hybridize with G. Mihanovichii?

Post by keithp2012 »

A few I have wondering if they will hybridize?

G. Friedrichii
G. Damsii
G. Baldianum
G. Ragonesi
G. Stenopleurum
hegar

Re: What species can hybridize with G. Mihanovichii?

Post by hegar »

You should be able to produce hybrids of all the Gymnocalycium spp. you listed. From fruit tree experience I know, that nurseries have produced a "plumcot" tree where one parent is the plum (Prunus domestica) and the other the apricot (Prunus armeniaca).
Also, I post every year an entry with the title "Naturally occurring Hybrid Claret Cup Cacti of Orogrande, NM". where one parent is Echinocereus dasyacanthus (Texas Rainbow Cactus) and the other Echinocereus coccineus ssp. rosei (Claret Cup). The offspring is known as Echinocereus x roetteri.
If one of the desired parents flowers earlier than the other parent, you can harvest the pollen from the "early bloomer" and place them in the refrigerator, until the other parent's stigma is ready to accept the pollen. Of course, you will need to keep bees, etc. away from the intended "mother plant" to prevent self pollination.
There is one member on this forum, with a name similar to "Hanazona", who does hybridize plants of the genus Astrophytum. He lives in Australia.
Perhaps he will be able to give you detailed information about the process of hybridizing cacti.

Harald
hegar

Post by hegar »

I just looked in the "Member's Topics" part of CactiGuide and his name is "Hanazono". He does have a thread there and you can contact him, if you need to know specific information.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Gymnocalycium friedrichii may not be a different species - http://llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACTI/Fa ... riedrichii
Spence :mrgreen:
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

hegar wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:08 am You should be able to produce hybrids of all the Gymnocalycium spp. you listed. From fruit tree experience I know, that nurseries have produced a "plumcot" tree where one parent is the plum (Prunus domestica) and the other the apricot (Prunus armeniaca).
Also, I post every year an entry with the title "Naturally occurring Hybrid Claret Cup Cacti of Orogrande, NM". where one parent is Echinocereus dasyacanthus (Texas Rainbow Cactus) and the other Echinocereus coccineus ssp. rosei (Claret Cup). The offspring is known as Echinocereus x roetteri.
If one of the desired parents flowers earlier than the other parent, you can harvest the pollen from the "early bloomer" and place them in the refrigerator, until the other parent's stigma is ready to accept the pollen. Of course, you will need to keep bees, etc. away from the intended "mother plant" to prevent self pollination.
There is one member on this forum, with a name similar to "Hanazona", who does hybridize plants of the genus Astrophytum. He lives in Australia.
Perhaps he will be able to give you detailed information about the process of hybridizing cacti.

Harald
Thank you
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

greenknight wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:21 pm Gymnocalycium friedrichii may not be a different species - http://llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACTI/Fa ... riedrichii
Great to know 🙂